Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Text Effects - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Text Effects

#1 User is offline   Nevon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

Welcome to class. What I'm going to teach you are two very simple ways of making your text look a lot better. The slightly more experienced gimpers will probably already know this, but for the newbies it's perfect.
Too many times have I seen unaltered, ugly text.

The Glowing Technique
First open up a project of your choice, I'm gonna be using this:
Posted Image

Now create your text. I've noticed that it works best with white, but use whatever colour you think looks good.
Posted Image

Now duplicate this layer and select the top layer. Then goto filters > blur > gaussian blur, and apply a gaussian blur of around 3-8. I used 6 for this perticular signature. Then set this layer to either Overlay, Soft light or Screen. Whichever looks best on your background.
Posted Image

Easy isn't it?

The Semi-Transparent Technique
As before, open up a project of your choice. I've found that this technique works best with detailed backgrounds with colour. This is what I'll be using:
Posted Image

Now create a text layer using white as your font colour (it works with other colours too, but white is definently best).
Posted Image

Now set that layer to Overlay, and duplicate until it looks good.
Posted Image

Now select one of your text layers, right-click on it and choose "Alpha to Selection". Now create a new layer that you place under the other text layers and name it "black". Then goto Select > Grow, and grow the selection by 1px. Then bucket fill it with black. Now set that layer to Overlay and duplicate it if it's still too bright. Just duplicate/delete text layers until it looks good. This is what I got:
Posted Image

Cut me in two and make me invisible

Yeah, the name sucks, so sue me. This will be a more theoretical part, so I won't post any guiding pictures.
Good text is not just defined by fancy effects and glowing edges, but most of all it's because of the placement. A good idea is that you should never let the text be alone. Let me give you an example:

Bad text:
Posted Image

Good text:
Posted Image

So what's the difference between these two images? (textwise) The placement of the text is similar, but that's because there's nowhere else to put it on the second sig. But on the first one there's plenty of room to move the text. So why didn't I do that? To be honest, I have no idea. I guess I didn't really think about where I should put it.
Now to get to what's good about the text in the second one. First of all there's two lines of text. A headline (Nevon) and some subtext (lucky bastard). I choose to do the subtext in small letters only, to indicate that this is not the main thing in the text. If you look closely you'll see that the "k" sorta goes up into the "N", and the "b" goes into the "v". This makes it more of a unit, not two separate lines. This is good to try and achieve in most cases, but it's not neccessary. Can you also see that "Nevon" is written in a slightly bigger size? This is also to indicate that this is the main thing. Also, "Nevon" is of slightly higher opacity. Can you guess why? That's right, to indicate that this is the main thing. But here comes a neat trick. Try to accompany your text with a little blob of something, or a silhouette of something. This gives your text something extra, a little spice. Just try not to make it too big. The dohicky should be smaller than your text. Oh, and one more thing. Try to somehow connect it to the text. See how the crescent connects with the "N"? That makes it look like a unit.

Accio simplicity!

Let me start you off with another good text vs. bad text example.

Bad text:
Posted Image

Good text:
Posted Image

On the top example I'm using a very big, bold and fancy font. Sure, that can be good sometimes. But definently not here. Creating a sig with nice, big, bold and fancy text is VERY hard to pull off. In fact, I can't do it, and I'm writing a guide on how to make your text look better.
So for almost everyone I recommend using simple and small fonts. Such as Tahoma, Georgia, Times New Roman, Karthika and Arial. Arial is my personal favourite. I think all (or at least most) of these fonts belong to the serif-family. That means that they have little tails on the edges of the letters. the text I'm writing with right now belongs to the sans serif-family. It lacks that "tail".
Sans serif fonts look more modern, while serif fonts can both look modern and classic, depending on the style. Most fancy fonts are serif fonts.
On the bottom example I used Times New Roman for the main text, and a pixel font for the subtext. I'm not gonna explain the different strategies I had for this text, since you can read about those in the previous paragraph, but I am gonna tell you about the choice of colour, and that line.
Colour
I wanted to make sure that the main text and the subtext was clearly divided, so therefore I changed both the font and the colour. Since I wanted the main text to be the most visible, I chose to colour that. First I took a colour from my render. I chose a colour that fits with the main colour scheme, since I didn't want it to clash (luckily there were no such colours in this render). I then tried to type my text with that colour, but it was almost invisible (it blended TOO well with the background), so I made it a little bit darker. Then I typed my text in a pretty small size, and placed it where I wanted it (in the direction of the render's movement). After that I needed a subtext, so I named the piece "focus", for no perticular reason. I wanted to make sure that people didn't think my name was Focus (people are stupid), so I chose another small, modern font and typed it in black. Then I placed it under my main text. It looked okay, but it needed something extra. So I used a technique as old as time itself. The horizontal line.

The horizontal line
First I chose the same colour as my main text, since I wanted the line to be as long as my main text. So I made a new layer and used the pencil to draw a line that was slightly shorter than my text. Then I went to filters->blur->motion blur and set the direction to whatever is horizontal (0 perhaps?) and then just adjusted the length until it was the right length (the same length as my main text).

Stick to the formation. Just like the romans!
All along I've been talking about how important it is that your text is a unit, not several lines of (ugly) text. Well... I'm not gonna quit just yet. Take a look at these two images for example.

Bad text:
Posted Image

Good text:
Posted Image

(Note: I tried to find a sig that I made with multiple lines of text, and this was the worst I could find. If someone thinks they've made a sig with multiple lines of shitty text, and would be willing to let me use it in this tutorial, please send me a PM.)

On the top sig I tried my best to keep the text a unit, but because I had two lines of text plus an icon, I think I failed. I've seen worse, but this is definently not good. First of all I wan't to advice you not to have your name and a long subtext. If you want a subtext, keep it short. My max is 2-3 words, but it's all up to you. I guess what I want to say is: don't overdo it. The main reason why the text fails is because of the icon. in other words, I overdid it. I should've either gone with my name and an icon, or just the two lines of text (and somehow made them look as A UNIT!!.
If we study the bottom sig's text, we'll see that it consist of three letters aligned in a diagonal line. Around the two main letters there are two fields that almost blend into the background, and around those fields there's a 1px stroke that have been blended a little bit. All of a sudden we have the text in a square (and a cool looking square it is :h:). It's A UNIT!!.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase everything in this tutorial. Most of it is theoretical, and the knowledge is in my head. I think it has a lot to do with the feel of the text. I see what text is good and what text blows. Now, I'm no master, but I have some skills. This can all be achieved through training, so if you think your text sucks, don't worry, just keep training.

It's as easy as that. I hope this helped.

That's all for today. Class dismissed.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   jerryandxu 

• PipPip

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

:l: :l: :l:this is a really neat tutorial, ive always wanted to kno how to make text better...when you have time if you could post even more methods that would be great, i am very interested :l:
Posted Image
Gimp Rules

#3 User is offline   Nevon 

• PipPip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:25 PM

Thank you. I'll post more ways to spice up your text once I figure 'em out. But these two ways are extremely simple and effective, so you barely need any more.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   PhotoMaster 

• PipPip

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

You may very well have given me the solution to my sig problems. I could never get the text where I liked it and I believe you just gave me the answers I needed! Kudos!!

Greg
Posted Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.co...photomastergreg.

#5 User is offline   Nevon 

• PipPip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

I'm glad to hear that. After all, that's why I wrote this short tutorial. :h:
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Koops12 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:53 AM

Thanks, text is my worst part of a sig (most of the time), this helps.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   -FeRReT- 

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:57 AM

thx alot man im new to sigs and every sig i made was made fun of for the text thx alot this helps big time :l:

#8 User is offline   abc123 

• PipPip

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

what font u use at that 2/3th picture??

#9 User is offline   fuglyseep 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:16 PM

There are better ways to blend text, but I like the glowing text. Im gonna try that out.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Nevon 

• PipPip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:09 PM

@ abc123 - It's called Kingthings spike (or something very similar). You can get it at dafont.com.

Fuglysheep - Yes there are. That's why I'm gonna continue writing this guide in a second.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   curly haired boy 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

text tuts are rare beasts indeed. but i'm always happy to come across one. :)

#12 User is offline   Thorn 

• PipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:44 AM

i like to add a layer mask to my text layer, select by color, and have a white foreground and a black background. then, foreground to background gradient and drag it across the text. then do then add the bottom layer and do the grow selection and bucket fill. gives a nice effect, if you do it right. its tough. though... :s:
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Nevon 

• PipPip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:32 PM

i like to add a layer mask to my text layer, select by color, and have a white foreground and a black background. then, foreground to background gradient and drag it across the text. then do then add the bottom layer and do the grow selection and bucket fill. gives a nice effect, if you do it right. its tough. though...
You have no idea how much that confuses me... Could you post a result of this technique please?
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Blazeboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:49 AM

i like to add a layer mask to my text layer, select by color, and have a white foreground and a black background. then, foreground to background gradient and drag it across the text. then do then add the bottom layer and do the grow selection and bucket fill. gives a nice effect, if you do it right. its tough. though...

I understand it but what gradient type did you use, linear?

#15 User is offline   Nevon 

• PipPip
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:48 PM

Made another update. Not sure how helpful the last part is, but I do my best.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   newbetterbucs05 

• PipPip

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:07 AM

nice. This looks cool
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   newbetterbucs05 

• PipPip

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:53 PM

BTW what font is that one the olschool sig. I like it :l:
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Kandid 

• PipPip

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

Those are some cool tips. Thanks.

I have two more that you might consider helpful.

One is the mirror technique. Here's an example-

Posted Image

I'm talking about the part that says "Master Chief", not Sandwich. I'm not sure about that part.

Another technique is setting your Text layer to grain merge. Here's some examples-

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Feel free to add those to your tut if you want. Once again, thanks :w:
Posted Image

Gifts:
saviorking120

#19 User is offline   marshman998 

• PipPip

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:44 PM

Nice effects! I'm gonna have to try this stuff on my next sig.
Posted Image
meh...

#20 User is offline   Hotsuma 

• PipPip

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:40 AM

My favorite by far:

Posted Image

EDIT: What is the text in the first example?
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic