Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: comapre Gimp with other software - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

comapre Gimp with other software

#1 User is offline   jackson86 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Here we can share comparison of Gimp with other software in this categories, so through which we can justify Gimp weaknesses and can improve it.

#2 User is offline   Jytz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

gimp < photoshop
gimp > paint.net
gimp < Illustrator
gimp > mybannermaker
gimp < cinema4d
gimp < after effects

The filters and features in gimp are too limited and lack in quality and precision.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   White fang 

• Teh Fang
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Ready? Its not the program its the user.

Noob with PS is equal to noob with gimp. Pro with photoshop is equal to pro with gimp. No difference really.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Jytz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

Actually, it is the program.

The filters and features in gimp are too limited and lack in quality and precision.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   captainwalrus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationThe Artic

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

Really, guys?
Come on.
We have argued in countless topics over this, we don't need a WHOLE BIG TOPIC to get into fights in.
I think we've all noticed at the top, the banner says a GIMP community, but since we're cool, we let PSers enjoy the community too.
With all due respect, we don't need to argue about programs being BETTER or WORSE than GIMP when we're on a GIMP community.
Now, chill out and let opinions be opinions. There's no proven fact that PS graphics are the best, because in GFX we will never reach the best; our ideas keep growing
-CW

Edit: I noticed that the creator of this topic meant for this to help GIMP improve.
THIS AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN IF ALL YOU TALK ABOUT IS PS BEING BETTER THAN GIMP. GIMP ISN'T GRADUALLY GOING TO TURN INTO PHOTOSHOP OR ANY OTHER PROGRAMS. GIMP IS STAYING GIMP.
Posted Image
giftehs

Drew Carey: Entries in Drew Carey's Diary.
Ryan Stiles: Dear Diary, Ryan looked at me again today.(buzz)How I wish I was sitting on his lap.(buzz, Ryan then leaves and then returns)Dear Diary, when will people find out that I'm not a man. (buzz)
Drew Carey:And moving right along (pulls out a paper) What our audience is thinking right now?
Ryan Stiles:I wonder if that's all true.

#6 User is offline   Jytz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

If you know how to code-in and repair functions in the gimp software, then indeed, you can help it technically become better, or at least equal in comparison.

From a marketing perspective, the gimp may have more hits from the internet because of it being freeware with extendability and add-ons.

I noticed how the word "compare" was spelled incorrectly in the title thread.

When comparing Gimp to other graphic art software, keep in mind the cons of those other software, to keep this discussion balanced.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Demented 

• Mildly Coherent Bespectacled Man
  • PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

I think MS Paint rules all.
Posted Image
Links to Tutorials, Programs, and Awesome!
If I seem curt or dismissive, it's usually not because I'm trying to be. I'm just socially inept. :/
Gifts
I'll help you on two conditions:
1) I try to help, but I don't know everything, and I'm not an expert, so I might not be able to fix it.
2) If I don't respond right away, it not that I'm ignoring you, I'm just busy or something.
Oh, and I edit my posts more often than I make new ones, so use the Refresh/Reload button on your browser.

#8 User is offline   TheWanton 

• qqq
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationdenver

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:22 PM

White fang said:

Pro with photoshop is equal to pro with gimp.

right.

but go find a pro that uses gimp.

exactly.
nothing gold can stay
[gifts, baby. <3 | d e v i a n t ART]

Posted Image Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Jytz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:25 PM

Demen said:

Posted Image

That's only if you know how to use it.

MS Paint can be a much better tool than Photoshop any day, but only if used correctly. Also, using MS Paint to make pixel art takes much more time and skill than making a piece of art in Photoshop or gimp, IMO.

People and companies have been making professional games for decades of years just by using MS Paint. Some of the most famous of those games you might know: Street Fighter series, King of Fighters series, SNES/NES mario games and spin-offs, etc.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Demented 

• PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

right.

exactly.

I think part of the reason people don't use (or don't think people use) GIMP for professional work, is that others keep perpetuating the rumor that GIMP isn't good enough for professional work. I'm not saying that the rumor is false, I'm just saying there are a lot of people that'll never give GIMP a chance if everyone they meet tells them it's not good.

Besides, GIMP's come a long way, and you can make some great things with it. REF:
http://starsys.devia...effect-93393423
http://griatch-art.d...unnel-153117701
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=12xm_NpOA0A
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=G6f_h3RtqRU
http://www.myvideo.d...free_to_comment
http://www.metacafe...._coupe_concept/

And with the migration over to GEGL. it'll be even better. It'll have higher color depth, and better overall performance.

Another thing to take into account is that (besides a couple of unethical pirates) usually only people serious about art or editing have Photoshop, and so you mostly only see Photoshop used to make good images. Whereas GIMP is free and is used by novices and pros alike, so you see a range from bad art to good art. That can skew the impression of what the program can do. I promise you that if you give Photoshop to a novice, then they won't magically become an great artist. It's not the tool, it's the artist. If you don't believe me, go check out some of the cool things people have done in MS Paint. http://www.techeblog...nt-masterpieces

I think the time of GIMP being only for geeks (like me) and poor people (like me) is coming to an end.
If I seem curt or dismissive, it's usually not because I'm trying to be. I'm just socially inept. :/
Gifts
1) I try to help, but I don't know everything, and I'm not an expert, so I might not be able to fix it.
2) If I don't respond right away, it not that I'm ignoring you, I'm just busy or something.
Oh, and I edit my posts more often than I make new ones, so use the Refresh/Reload button on your browser.

#11 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

Well, if this is to be a GIMP wish list, the biggest wish would be 16 (and maybe 32-bit HDR; but that's really a dream) edit capabilities. Very seldom need either, but there are times where this could be benificial (especially to reduce banding artifacts for photo-editing). If you are using GIMP as a purely artistic tool, GIMP more then stands out on it's own.

My other wish is a better PSPI (certain PS plugin previews just are just cr@p; no other way to say it). I work around those issues, but still would be cool. If I knew how to code, I would look at this, but I (well was) a hardware EE and did little coding (some assember and also some QuickBasic (yes it's been that long) stuff.

Overall, GIMP's my main editor for a reason. Just open your eyes to the possibilities and think outside the box and GIMP can do things easier and better then any editor out there. You just got to learn how to use it (can replace GIMP with another editor; result's more then likely the same). Just learn by reading, experimenting, and asking. :)

#12 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

TheWanton said:

White fang said:

right.

exactly.

Whereas the topic of which program is "better" can never be resolved, nor is it very interesting, this particular statement is easy to answer - there are several professional artists that use GIMP. We have a few of them here in the forum even, maybe you don't visit the right subfora. Carmen Miranda (TheShock) comes to mind, there are a few more which has introduced themselves as being professional artists using GIMP exclusively. David Revoy http://www.davidrevoy.com/ is not active here on GT, but he's a professional that has switched from PS (yes really!) to mostly (only?) using open-source software.

It's quite simple really - a freelancing pro or those running/starting a small studio need to actually BUY Photoshop, to have a licence and to keep it updated. And even if PS might be better than GIMP in some features, it's not THAT much better to warrant the massive cost of a full PS license ... at least that's my impression. Piracy is not "pro", you know.
Professionals who are trying to cut back on expenditures are starting to see the advantages of open-source software, not only in graphics but in all sorts of program usage. There are office companies and startups here which would never dream of investing in getting Windows and e.g. MSOffice when they can use Linux and OpenOffice for free, for example. I'm quite optimistic on this - infact I predict that in the long run proprietary software will have a hard time competing with open source overall, except in very specialized niches.
Griatch

#13 User is offline   Demented 

• PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

lylejk said:

Well, if this is to be a GIMP wish list, the biggest wish would be 16 (and maybe 32-bit HDR; but that's really a dream) edit capabilities. Very seldom need either, but there are times where this could be benificial (especially to reduce banding artifacts for photo-editing). If you are using GIMP as a purely artistic tool, GIMP more then stands out on it's own.

Around the end of this year, your wish will be granted. Higher color depth will be supported with the GEGL overhaul. I don't know if it'll go up to 32 bit, but I know 16 bit will be available.
Gifts

#14 User is offline   Moko 

• Angel Princess
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Demen said:

Posted Image

:lol:

captainwalrus said:

Really, guys?
Come on.
We have argued in countless topics over this, we don't need a WHOLE BIG TOPIC to get into fights in.
I think we've all noticed at the top, the banner says a GIMP community, but since we're cool, we let PSers enjoy the community too.
With all due respect, we don't need to argue about programs being BETTER or WORSE than GIMP when we're on a GIMP community.
Now, chill out and let opinions be opinions. There's no proven fact that PS graphics are the best, because in GFX we will never reach the best; our ideas keep growing
-CW

Edit: I noticed that the creator of this topic meant for this to help GIMP improve.
THIS AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN IF ALL YOU TALK ABOUT IS PS BEING BETTER THAN GIMP. GIMP ISN'T GRADUALLY GOING TO TURN INTO PHOTOSHOP OR ANY OTHER PROGRAMS. GIMP IS STAYING GIMP.

^
|

This is why girls own!

Please don't start a debate about boys and girls now. xD
Posted Image

If you are in to art, please check out my blog The Factoid Firefly!
My Game: Tilly's Rose Garden

#15 User is offline   Jytz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

Now that I am starting to think more open-minded about this, I am changing my answer about whether it is the program that makes the artist better, when clearly it is the other way around.

Consider Yuriy Gusev. Born in the Soviet Union in the midst of the cold war, Yuriy migrates to Cleveland, Ohio to now make violins for a living. Several years ago, he gets into a pretty bad car accident that leaves him bedridden for weeks during which, due to boredom and a desire to not waste time, he picks up what is called "Pixel Art." By mostly using MS Paint and Photoshop (for his animations), he makes these:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You may also view his site full of all of his works here: http://www.foolstown.com/

Basically, producing great art work is in the hand of the artist.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Demented 

• PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Great example J. That's amazing work to be pixel art.
Gifts

#17 User is offline   TheWanton 

• qqq
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationdenver

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

See, I know that you CAN be pro in GIMP. And I know someone that is just as good with GIMP as someone is w/Photoshop is going to be equal. But in my opinion, GIMP has lower boundries than PS. GIMP is easier to start off with, because it's user friendly.. but once you get good, and I mean really good, it becomes harder and harder to get better. With Photoshop, you can be steadily (or at least more so) increasing your skill, as it has more options and abilities.

So yeah, you can sure be pro in GIMP. But why would you want to waste that time when you could do so much easier in PS?

That's just my opinion though. Sure, it's the artist not the tool, but the tool sure as hell helps.
nothing gold can stay

#18 User is offline   Demented 

• PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:50 PM

But you said:

TheWanton said:

White fang said:

right.

exactly.

Which seemed to indicate that you thought GIMP wasn't good enough to be a pro tool. But you meant that it's good enough, it just has a bigger learning curve and is a little more restrictive than PS?

Okay then, it was just a misunderstanding. Everyone makes mistakes. We forgive you.

Conversely, I find Photoshop awkward to use. I'm comfortable in GIMP, and Photoshop just seems to have a lot of unnecessary clutter and a confusing GUI to me.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I thought that was a kind of sarcastic "Right", but you were agreeing with him. I misunderstood as well. My bad.
Gifts

#19 User is offline   TheWanton 

• qqq
  • PipPipPip
  • Locationdenver

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:03 AM

Demen said:

But you said:

TheWanton said:

White fang said:

right.

exactly.

Which seemed to indicate that you thought GIMP wasn't good enough to be a pro tool. But you meant that it's good enough, it just has a bigger learning curve and is a little more restrictive than PS?

Okay then, it was just a misunderstanding. Everyone makes mistakes. We forgive you.

Conversely, I find Photoshop awkward to use. I'm comfortable in GIMP, and Photoshop just seems to have a lot of unnecessary clutter and a confusing GUI to me.

Right, and I know that it came out offhandish. But still, I was talking about on the tag scale, I've never seen a pro use GIMP. Painting huge pieces is totally different. So what I'm saying is it has a nice learning curve at the beginning, but once you start gettting good it becomes much more steep. Again, talking in the perspective of tags and signatures.

Whether you like it or not, there's no way you can deny that Photoshop is a better tool for tag making. Much more options and filters. At the very least, there's more POTENTIAL.

Though I found PS awkward to use as well (and hell, I still do, I'm new to it), once you learn how to use all of it's filters and tools to it's maximum potential it becomes ridiculously easy to use, just like any other software. It's like changing the control scheme on a game you're so used to to one that is easier to use if you're good at it.

I don't know how many people here play Halo 3, but it;s commonly known that the control scheme 'Bumper Jumper' is much better to use, as you can aim and jump at the same time, where as you must take your hand off the right stick to press the A button to jump on the default control scheme. Well, I knew it was better but changing the controls was annoying, since I wasn't used to it.

Same thing as switching to PS. High potential, but bigger overall learning curve. See what I mean?
nothing gold can stay

#20 User is offline   Demented 

• PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Yeah, I see. I don't know if I agree because I'm not familiar with GIMP's and Photoshop's limitations yet. But I got 'ya.

So, out of curiosity, what are some of the barriers you've found in either program? I know GIMP lags a little when using large brushes, but that's about it.
Gifts

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic