Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Tutorial: Creating a 3D Background of Boxes - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tutorial: Creating a 3D Background of Boxes

#1 User is offline   MJF 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:40 AM

3D Background using Boxes

What this tutorial will do: Teach you to utilize a feature of GIMP that is many times overlooked; the Map Object filter.

Who this tutorial is for: Users who have a basic knowledge of GIMP menus and layout.

Final result:

Posted Image

1.Open a new file, 500x500
2.Make a new layer, and fill it with a light to medium gray. I used b5b5b5
3.Go to Filters -> Map -> Map Object

Posted Image
Posted Image

4.Make sure you have the same settings I have, and then hit ok. You should now have something like below.

Posted Image

5.Take your Paths tool and make a selection around the box, like below.

Posted Image

6.Hit “Create Selection From Path", and then Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard.

7.Create a new file, 400x150

8.Make a new layer, then hit Ctrl+V to paste the copied box into the layer.

9.Important: Do NOT anchor the floating layer yet. Go to Layer -> Scale Layer, and scale the box down to 100px wide and 94px high.

Posted Image

10.Now anchor the box layer. It doesn't matter where at this point, just make sure the whole box shows.

11.Now move the box layer to whatever point you choose. Duplicate, Flip, and Transform duplicates of this box layer to get something like below.

Posted Image

12.Next, hide the Background layer by clicking the “Eye" next to it on the Layers tab. Right click any of the box layers and click Merge Visible Layers. All the boxes should now be on one transparent layer.

13.Duplicate the box layer and go to Layer -> Transform -> Flip Horizontally. Move this duplicate layer to the other side of the image.

Posted Image

14.Now here comes the fun part. Merge the two box layers together, and then create a duplicate layer of this merged layer. Layers -> Colors -> Colorize. Settings are below.

Posted Image
Posted Image

15.Create a new layer above the Background layer, but below the two box layers. Go to Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma. For this just make sure Turbulence is set to 3.5. Next, do Layers -> Colors -> Desaturate to get rid of the color.

Posted Image

16.Still on the Clouds layer, go to Filters -> Blur -> Motion Blur. Blur Type = Zoom and Length = 5

17.Next, Filters -> Edge-Detect -> Edge.

Posted Image

18.Colorize this layer with the same exact settings as in step 14. The image should now look something like below.

Posted Image

19.Next, redo Motion Blur with zoom, but this time make Length =15.

Posted Image

20.Go back to the layer with the gray boxes. Duplicate this layer and move it above the green boxes layer. Layer Mode =Burn. The Layers tab should look something like this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

21.Duplicate the Clouds layer and move it above everything else. Here you can choose to set the mode to Multiply, Screen, or Overlay. It depends on how bright you want the background. I chose Screen.

Posted Image

Now you have a 3D background that you can use either as a sig in itself, or you can add more detail to it. Here's what I came up with:

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   jc987 

• PipPip

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:48 AM

Awesome!

#3 User is offline   Nintendo Guy121 

• PipPip

Posted 24 March 2006 - 03:54 AM

Nice job! I like the effect :w: Good tut! :h:

#4 User is offline   DirtyJersian 

• PipPip

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

I like the cube effect. The background isn't really anything special, but the cubes are good for GIMP. Nice job.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   dom_gold 

• PipPip

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:56 PM

i just didi the background bit

Posted Image
-Man utd fan , Dom

-----

Don't ask about the sig i can't rememebr how to make it lol

Posted Image

[url=http://www.zooreka.com/photo-300805.html]Click here to see somthing cool!

#6 User is offline   vinshine 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

Very helpful in understanding GIMP., Really good for a newbie like me., Thanks for the tut... :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic