Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: GIMP- 2.7 (beta, last stable is 2.6.7) also for Windows - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIMP- 2.7 (beta, last stable is 2.6.7) also for Windows

#1 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:57 PM

UPDATE 24/2

the WINDOWS build has some evident problems as example will crash at each tentative to use the text tool or Logos script.
Then Gimp will abort and the unsaved work will get lost
So i suggest Windows users to wait for a newer release...( or if you are really impatient, get linux and compile it )

##################################################################################################

Is available a Windows installer of Gimp 2.7 mind that is not the stable version and may have bugs ..try at your risk :!:

Most relevant changes

tagging of resources (brushes ,etc.),
on-canvas text editing,
brush rotation and tilt support

Windows installer http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-w ... -setup.exe

Source Code http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-w ... 3.tar.lzma

PS Never heard of ".tar.lzma" before :shock:
oh well if you know how build from source you should be able also to figure out how to decompress that file

#2 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNorway(near griatch's country :D )

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

7.0 exe before 6.5 xD
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

(we want our image to be "gimped", not "photoshopped"; the difference being one can't tell when an image has been properly gimped :) ).

#3 User is offline   FSX 

• PipPip

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

MNM said:

7.0 exe before 6.5 xD

The guy that compiles Gimp for Windows always compiles a SVN checkout before the "real" development version is released.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Dark Star 

• PipPip

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

The tar.lzma is an archive just like .rar an .zip.. Its basically popular in Linux and has source file for compilation

#5 User is offline   Mz.Teri 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

Brush rotation!? Brush tilt!? Can not wait for the stable version!

#6 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

Finally got around to compile the svn version. Brush angle rotation is very nice, and I think people are going to love the new resource tagging system. :D

The text tool is improving steadily, hopefully there will be support for modifying letters individually (in order to e.g. make a word italic) in the future.
Griatch

#7 User is offline   saviourking120 

• Sexy and I Know It
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:51 AM

I've been using it, and it's stable on my comp. The brush rotation isn't working correctly on mine, I've only tested out smudging though.
Posted Image
Love it? Hate it? Tell me here.

#8 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:11 AM

hum...about Windows on my PC all logo script or any attempt to use the text tool crash gimp immediately

#9 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

i edited the first message
i suggest to wait for a new build :idea:

...as alternative forget to use the text tool and logos script , save constantly .... and cross the fingers :!:

and also for me on win brush rotation does not work

#10 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:35 AM

PhotoComix said:

i edited the first message
i suggest to wait for a new build :idea:

...as alternative forget to use the text tool and logos script , save constantly .... and cross the fingers :!:

and also for me on win brush rotation does not work

Seems like a Windows issue? So far I have seen no instabilities with the text tool (not using the logo script much).
Griatch

#11 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 25 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

yes is a windows only issue i just installed on ubuntu and there everything seems fine.
I suppose will be fixed soon by a new windows installer (maybe is already replaced? i didn't check yet )

PS i edited again the first message to evidence that is a Windows only issue :!:

#12 User is offline   newt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:31 PM

Confirmed, Windows, using text tool causes crash.
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 User is offline   0ion9 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:41 AM

FSX said:

MNM said:

7.0 exe before 6.5 xD

The guy that compiles Gimp for Windows always compiles a SVN checkout before the "real" development version is released.

The SVN checkout *is* the real development version. 2.6.x are all stable versions (as indicated by 6 being an even number) -- new releases in stable release series basically only fix bugs. If you like stability, you should definitely be using the latest in the 2.6.x release series and be upgrading as new 2.6.x releases are made.

As for '2.7 before 2.6.5', this actually makes sense, because 2.7 is the current development series, when bugs are fixed, they are then backported to the 2.6 series. After enough fixes accumulate, a new 2.6.x release is made :) In this way, there is not any direct development on stable series, only fixes trickling down from the development series.

Also, tar.lzma is possible in Linux, but not popular AFAIK. It is tar.gz and tar.bz2 that are popular. Maybe it's being used because it compresses much better than the alternative.

You people who are experiencing crashes: Does it help if you run GIMP from a dos box? (depending on your system, running the command 'command' should bring one up) I know currently I must run GIMP on Linux from a terminal window, otherwise it crashes easily.

#14 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:22 PM

@Oion9

With "real" development version I believe FSX was referring to the SVN snapshots where the version number actually increase, the dev release is announced on the web page and a package made available without the need for SVN. The 2.5.x dev series released versions up to 2.5.4 for example.
Thanks about the info about lzma, hadn't heard about that before either.
Griatch

#15 User is offline   mangadude5760 

• PipPip
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Oh hell yeah! I'll wait for the stable version first. Can't have it crashing and lose work.

#16 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

dev version or not remember always to save often....also stable versions crashes sometimes...even a hypothetic super stable version may be crashed by a bug in some extra plugin.

just hit save every 5 minutes usually solve

#17 User is offline   mangadude5760 

• PipPip
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:07 AM

I do do that... not every five minutes but pretty often.

#18 User is offline   inspectra 

• generally inactive
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

mangadude5760 said:

Oh hell yeah! I'll wait for the stable version first. Can't have it crashing and lose work.

Totally agree. I'm a Windows user with 2.4.6, and I want to upgrade, so when a stabler version releases, shall get that.

PhotoComix said:

dev version or not remember always to save often....also stable versions crashes sometimes...even a hypothetic super stable version may be crashed by a bug in some extra plugin.

True, but it will very likely be more stable than this beta.

#19 User is offline   0ion9 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Pixelated said:

Totally agree. I'm a Windows user with 2.4.6, and I want to upgrade, so when a stabler version releases, shall get that

Is there some reason for not using the latest stable version (2.6.5 at this time)?
You should be aware that 2.4 is the previous stable series, and is unsupported since 2.6.
(plus it's got really a lot of interesting improvements (painting is much more flexible now even if you have only a mouse) and considerable UI polishing VS 2.4). It's really worth the time to upgrade.

PhotoComix said:

True, but it will very likely be more stable than this beta.

That's a good bet -- I always use the latest SVN development version, and often I can get as frequent as one crash per fortnight (although the amount of data loss from this is virtually zero)

Saviourking120:
Brush transformation was broken for smudge tool, you basically chose the one tool that would not perform as expected.
This is fixed in recent SVN versions and of course this fix will be in the next 2.7 build.

#20 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

sure all development version may be unstable, but often are not too unstable if are problem are more confined to the new tools or features added (that is more then logic, since the purpose is mainly to allow to test them as any possible problem connected to their addition )

In this case, and here i refer ONLY to the windows binary, seems too much unstable , maybe more for compilation issues then for problems to be fixed in the source code, since they do not appear in other OS... and are not related, at least apparently, to new added features or tools

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic