Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Collaborative Artwork software - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Collaborative Artwork software

#1 User is offline   hellocatfood 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

Is there any sort of software that can act as a CVS (http://en.wikipedia....Versions_System) BUT for images? I want to be able to collaboratively edit images made in GIMP, Inkscape other programs but save version changes, in a similar way to Subversion.

Thanks for your help!

#2 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

No idea but maybe somebody here http://www.donationcoder.com/ may found the idea intriguing and help or point to something already available

#3 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

Subversion (or CVS) works perfecly for any form of file, including images.
Griatch

#4 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

You might also find one of the self-contained, light-weight RVSes such as Fossil or Monotone useful.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#5 User is offline   hellocatfood 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

Griatch said:

Griatch

Would it able to detect when, for example, an a layer in gimp is moved? Presumably in this case the original and the new version would be the same file size.

I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks!

#6 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:28 PM

hellocatfood said:

Griatch said:

Griatch

Would it able to detect when, for example, an a layer in gimp is moved? Presumably in this case the original and the new version would be the same file size.

I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks!

No, but it would recognize that the file was changed at a later date than the latest revision. You should always make a note when committing your changes to the repository anyway, there you can specify that the layer was moved or whatnot.

That said, subversion is probably overkill if you are only working on one single binary file, such an image. The strength of subversion is that different people can edit parts of a file (like source code or a manuscript) at the same time and the edits will be merged. With binaries that obviously doesn't work (you'd probably not want to work on an image at the same time as another artist anyway). There are easier ways to share binaries for a collaboration like [Google sites]. But sure, it's educational to set up and learn how to use Subversion at any rate, once you know it it's very powerful.
Griatch

#7 User is offline   hellocatfood 

• PipPip

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for all your help.

My basic idea is that I want to create a sort of magazine but collaboratively. So, whilst I could easily just transfer Gimp/svg files easily editing the layout in Scribus is something that I'd want to utilise Subversion/something similar.

#8 User is offline   newt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

Dont know if it will help, but theres also a verse plugin for real time collaboration.
http://users.telenet...ix/verse/#about
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

hellocatfood said:

Thanks for all your help.

My basic idea is that I want to create a sort of magazine but collaboratively. So, whilst I could easily just transfer Gimp/svg files easily editing the layout in Scribus is something that I'd want to utilise Subversion/something similar.

In that case Subversion is probably perfect.
Griatch

#10 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:24 AM

newt said:

Dont know if it will help, but theres also a verse plugin for real time collaboration.
http://users.telenet...ix/verse/#about

Thanks for the link. I'm glad to see Verse is still going (even seeing a bit of a revival). I played with the GIMP/Blender interface a couple of years back and it showed quite some potential; I just don't do anything with Blender (and Python is pretty low on my list of programming languages).
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic