Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Problems getting a plugin (refract) working under windows - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problems getting a plugin (refract) working under windows

#1 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

I am trying to get this plugin working under windows:

Refract/Reflect

I have installed Python (2.5) and PyGTK (Followed instructions here) and then copied the files into the \lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (also tried the pyhton folder as well as plug-ins) but nothing shows up.

Is this plugin linux only? Any way to get it working in windows?

Please help!

#2 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

You didn't see the sticky on top of this board?

Try this please, http://photocomix-re...easier-74889017 the page you refer is outdated or not correct

(As Example there is written "install Python 2.4 or greater " that is wrong GREATER BUT till 2.5.2 NOT HIGHER , 2.6 is incompatible with the others library needed

PS first obviously unistall everything then you may reinstall following the included instrution

#3 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Not sure that peculiar plugin would work as it is , was done in 2004, i believe were some changes also for Python script from gimp 2.0 to actual 2.6
But most py plugin will work, maybe even that

#4 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

Thanks very much for the reply.

I saw the sticky, but I could not descern what the hell "Python Easier" was, or whether I needed it, so I ignored it.

I am very desperately wanting to use this plugin - I am even, as we speak, fiddling around with VMWare Linux images to try and get it running in linux on top of windows. I am willing to try anything and everything - even if I just have a linux vm that is only capable of opening an existing xcf and applying the refract effect then i would be happy.

I already have Python 2.5.2, not 2.6, I saw that.

Part of the problem is that I am not even sure what to do with the files - The linux instructions talk of a MAKE INSTALL, so I think I probably have zero chance of getting it to work on windows as I doubt it works just by dropping files in the plugins folder.

Thanks for your help so far...

#5 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Part of the problem is that I am not even sure what to do with the files - The linux instructions talk of a MAKE INSTALL, so I think I probably have zero chance of getting it to work on windows as I doubt it works just by dropping files in the plugins folder.

The pack include instruction that are quite simple,
inside there are 5 installers you just have to double click on them in the right sequence...
i suggested also to restart the PC twice ,one after installing Python, another at the end ,before reinstalling gimp.
Some reported that reload is not strictly needed anyway solved my problem to install

The linux instructions talk of a MAKE INSTALL, so I think I probably have zero chance of getting it to work on windows as I doubt it works just by dropping files in the plugins folder.

MAKE INSTALL is of not use in this case, you have the installers to install

But is correct that you " have zero chance of getting it to work on windows just by dropping files in the plugins folder."
that are INSTALLERS not plugin to be dropped ,so you should run them (simply clicking on them) no drop them somewhere as they are

After will be possible " drop" python plugin that you may found in the plugin registry, taking care to move them in a Plugin and not in a script folder
(and to unzip first if are zipped)

Anyway i believe you simply didn't read the instruction to install (that to install in Windows, that are in the only text file inside the pack, not that to install in linux you quoted...)

#6 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

PhotoComix said:

Anyway i believe you simply didn't read the instruction to install (that to install in Windows, that are in the only text file inside the pack, not that to install in linux you quoted...)

In my defence:
The root dir of refract-0.2.0.tar.gz:
Volume in drive D is DATA
Volume Serial Number is 5C8D-3CD1

Directory of D:\Temp\refract-0.2.0\refract-0.2.0

07/11/2008 17:54 .
07/11/2008 17:54 ..
05/10/2004 05:30 108 AUTHORS
07/11/2008 17:31 bin
05/10/2004 05:25 179 BUGS
05/10/2004 05:25 17,992 COPYING
07/11/2008 17:31 gimpplugins
05/10/2004 05:25 667 INSTALL
05/10/2004 05:25 793 Makefile
05/10/2004 05:34 395 NEWS
07/11/2008 17:31 pyxgimp
05/10/2004 05:30 1,649 README
05/10/2004 05:34 2,868 setup.py
05/10/2004 05:30 698 TODO
10 File(s) 25,349 bytes

The README contains sod all, the INSTALL file contains:
Requirements
============

GIMP version 2.0    [ http://www.gimp.org/ ]
Python version 2.3  [ http://www.python.org/ ]
pyrex version 0.9.3 [ http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/ ]

Newer versions of these packages probably work too.

I have only tested this version under Debian Sarge.  The code should be 
portable to other operating systems, but the process to build it is probably
a little different on non-Linux platforms.

Installation
============

To install to your home directory:

make install

You may have to modify your PYTHONPATH environment variable 
to include $HOME/lib/python

For a system-wide installation:

make install-admin

So the author says it will possibly only compile on debian sarge. I did some digging and the make process uses the setup.py, so I had no clue that just clicking it may do an install under windows.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will try running setup.py

#7 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

In my defence:
The root dir of refract-0.2.0.tar.gz:
Volume in drive D is DATA
Volume Serial Number is 5C8D-3CD1

I'm not attacking you and I'm not writing about that peculiar python plugin, but in general about support for python plugin in gimp, with windows XP or VISTA

I just wrote that ,maybe, you didn't read MY instruction to add Python support to gimp that are in the "IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt files included in the pack.

That instruction , and the installers allow to use MOST of python script on gimp,( that peculiar script may be a exception because too old) ..at the moment i have tested about 18 py plugin and 17 works well

Anyway if you read and follow the instruction the python module should be now enabled in your gimp,
Check it you should have in the Filters menu a voice called Python-fu and ,there a submenu called "console".
.if you may see that "console" submenu but not use a peculiar Python plugin that simple mean that is outdated and will not work with gimp 2.6 , that not only in windows but also in linux.

i don't know python language so i can't fix that script if does not work

But that you wrote here

The linux instructions talk of a MAKE INSTALL, so I think I probably have zero chance of getting it to work on windows as I doubt it works just by dropping files in the plugins folder.

make me think that you didn't read MY instruction on how install python on windows,since you should not drop Python or Gtk installers in gimp plugin folders

Then about that peculiar "refract" plugin i confess my ignorance

maybe for a fool,for a sadist or a incompetent is possible write a very special python plugin that works only on Debian ,maybe even write a plugin that works only on a Debian OS from the 2004..that seems very strange but maybe is possible..

Anyway ...what "refract" should do? a sort of horizontal or vertical mirror effect ?

#8 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:59 PM

Heh, s'ok man, I just want anyone reading this to be clear that I am not some idiot who can't read instructions.

make me think that you didn't read MY instruction on how install python on windows,since you should not drop Python or Gtk installers in gimp plugin folders
Your "IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS" file makes no mention of this, you meantioned something about it a couple of posts above:

But is correct that you " have zero chance of getting it to work on windows just by dropping files in the plugins folder."
that are INSTALLERS not plugin to be dropped ,so you should run them (simply clicking on them) no drop them somewhere as they are

After will be possible " drop" python plugin that you may found in the plugin registry, taking care to move them in a Plugin and not in a script folder
(and to unzip first if are zipped)
but to be honest, I couldnt make much sense of that text - the first sentence ends on the word "are" and the second sentence takes some analysis to decypher (But hey, you speak english better than I speak any other language so I cant grumble). Now knowing something about coding myself, and looking at the code, there seemed to be nothing indicating that the setup script polled the windows registry to see where GIMP was installed and move the files there, so I had zero reason to suspect that you should not copy the file directly into the plugins folder.

So you are saying to unzip the file somewhere, run the setup.py, then copy the files into the plugin folder? That sounds most unusual.

A refract when light enters or exits a material from another, it bends:
Posted Image

You supply a greyscale heightmap of the lens, and it refracts what is behind it realistically.

I am writing a GUI for pocketPC phones. Ultimately, I would like to acheive something like this:
(Mockup done in Adobe Premiere)
Posted Image

What I want the refract for is to make the blue buttons at the top more believable. Have them refract the background behind them.

I found a partial solution in Corel, but it doesn't seem to refract bitmaps, only vectors. I tried Photoshop's Distort Glass plugin, and it seems to work a little strangely. I tried KPT gel, but you do not seem to be able to apply height maps, just draw with a brush. What I ideally want is a solution that I can post up a tutorial for on my dev thread so that anyone can make their own backgrounds and refracted buttons for my UI by following my instructions. Obviously, GIMP is the preferred solution because that way all the software to do it is freely downloadable.

I tried to install you python easier pack last night after I came back from the pub, but that was a bad move, I left GIMP installed until the end (That time I really wasn't following instructions right lol!) and when I uninstalled and reinstalled it, things seemed to go OK, but when I start GIMP I get an error "The procedure entry point g_assertion_message could not be located in DLL libglib-2.0-0.dll". I am about to go back in a minute and remove everthing and start again. Do you need to use the linked GIMP in the "IDIOTS NEVER..." file? Or can I use the latest GIMP? I know it says not to use the latest Python, but it does not seem to indicate whether using the latest GIMP is a Bad Thing.

Cheers for all the help so far.

#9 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:04 PM

I went back, uninstalled everything (inc GIMP this time) and followed the instructions to the letter, but I still got the error starting GIMP:
The procedure entry point g_assertion_message could not be located in DLL libglib-2.0-0.dll

I uninstalled the GIMP 2.4.1 linked in the "IDIOTS..." file and installed GIMP 2.6 and no longer got the error. Will proceed attempting to get plugin to work now...

#10 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

OK, so no immediate joy, when I run the setup.py, it complains that it has no "pyrex".
So I googled that, and found this:
http://wiki.python.o.../PyrexOnWindows

I installed pyrex and re-ran. It complained about some compiler incompatibilities and suggested MinGW32, which is what that article mentioned, so I returned to the article and completed through to step A.5

I then re-ran the setup.py, and it complained it could not find the file gimpplugins/pyxgimp.c

I edited the setup.py, and noticed @ line 50&51:
# PYXGIMP_PACKAGE = "pyxgimp"
PYXGIMP_PACKAGE = "gimpplugins"

So I swapped over the commented lines and re-ran setup.py

Loads of compiler stuff, but it didn't finish. It did, however, create a pyxgimp.c file in the pyxgimp folder. I tried copying that one to the gimpplugins folder but when I re-ran setup.py, it did the same compiler fail:
C:\Program Files\Gimp-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\plugins\refract-0.2.0>setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_ext
building 'pyxgimp.pyxgimp' extension
C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall -IC:\Python25\include -IC:\Python25\PC -c pyxgimp\py
xgimp.c -o build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o -Wno-unused
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:8:23: glib/gmem.h: No such file or directory
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:9:26: libgimp/gimp.h: No such file or directory
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:47: error: syntax error before "GimpDrawable"
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:47: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:55: error: syntax error before "GimpPixelRgn"
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:55: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable___new__':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:84: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:84: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_drawable_get'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:87: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_5width___get__':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:118: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_6height___get__':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:141: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_getOffsets':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:170: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_drawable_offsets'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:170: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_mergeShadow':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:210: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_drawable_merge_shadow'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:210: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_update':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:252: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_drawable_update'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:252: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_detach':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:280: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_drawable_detach'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:280: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_8Drawable_flush':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:300: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_drawable_flush'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:300: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_11PixelRegion___new__':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:325: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:329: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_pixel_rgn_init'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:329: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:329: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:338: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_11PixelRegion_getRow':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:343: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:346: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_pixel_rgn_get_row'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:346: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:352: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_f_7pyxgimp_11PixelRegion_setRow':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:356: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:359: warning: implicit declaration of function `gimp_pixel_rgn_set_row'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:359: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:365: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: At top level:
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:492: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to incomplete type `__pyx_obj_7pyxgimp
_Drawable'
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: In function `__pyx_tp_new_7pyxgimp_PixelRegion':
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:541: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c: At top level:
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:639: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to incomplete type `__pyx_obj_7pyxgimp
_PixelRegion'
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

Any ideas?

#11 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:12 AM

we have some serious misunderstanding

uninstalled the GIMP 2.4.1 land installed GIMP 2.6 and no longer got the error. Will proceed attempting to get plugin to work now

i updated the pack to ensure compatibility with 2.6
I didn't check then for backward compatibility with Gimp 2.4, and i may have overlook the link for Gimp 2.4, i wrote in the first line of the comment on that DA page and in the plugin registry that was updated for Gimp 2.6

OK, so no immediate joy, when I run the setup.py, it complains that it has no "pyrex".
So I googled that, and found this:
http://wiki.python.o.../PyrexOnWindows

I installed pyrex and re-ran. It complained about some compiler incompatibilities and suggested MinGW32, which is what that article mentioned, so I returned to the article and completed through to step A.5

I then re-ran the setup.py, and it complained it could not find the file gimpplugins/pyxgimp.c

I edited the setup.py, and noticed @ line 50&51:
# PYXGIMP_PACKAGE = "pyxgimp"
PYXGIMP_PACKAGE = "gimpplugins"

So I swapped over the commented lines and re-ran setup.py

Loads of compiler stuff, but it didn't finish. It did, however, create a pyxgimp.c file in the pyxgimp folder. I tried copying that one to the gimpplugins folder but when I re-ran setup.py, it did the same compiler fail:
Code:

Now I feel a idiot, really i can't follow you here

i never had to do something so complex to use a Py script and i never hear of Pirex before

OK i will try at this point to install that refract filter on my PC

i didn't before because project seems unmaintained from 5 years so i feared that script was too old to be compatible with a modern version of gimp.

That is the problem i may imagine
is not related to add to windows version of gimp support for py plugin,
but to a obsolete (even if cool) script written to work with Gimp 1, updated for Gimp2 but i fear not checked with Gimp 2.6.

But if that is the problem, the solution should be edit the script, not Gimp or Python

anyway tomorrow i will try that filter

#12 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:24 AM

i downloaded open with notepad ++ and..well i do not know much of coding and Python but the format seems totally screwed up and all the comments get mixed with the code

i set notepad+ + language for Python,to check better

most of the comment(all the if,and, for,from,import,...included in the comment) is highlighted as were part of the script, that never happened with the other script i have installed

i doubt that script may work as it is now ,that even on linux, even with gimp 2.0 or 1, and sorry i do not feel to try to install such messy thing on my PC

No idea why,maybe original file went corrupted in the last 4 years..

#13 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

The file is in UNIX format, do you see loads of squares?
UNIX/linux uses a different CR/LF ASCII sequence, it's no biggie.

If using windows, I can recommend the free Crimson Editor - It's old, but very reliable.

The setup.py code looks fine, it runs fine, it's compiler issues...

Notice part of the output when I compile:
pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c:9:26: libgimp/gimp.h: No such file or directory

That to me says it wants the GIMP source files. Sounds plausible, if running on linux it may well come with the source.

#14 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

PhotoComix said:

i updated the pack to ensure compatibility with 2.6

Note it points to the 2.4 installer ;)

#15 User is offline   evilc1 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

Well I got further, but still no joy.

By downloading the GIMP source and editing setup.py so that it includes the gimp source dirs in the compiler include list, it got further but stopped and moaned about glib.

So I downloaded the glib source, and linked that into the compiler too.

My edited setup.py looks like:
r = {'include_dirs': ["D:\Temp\gimp-2.6.2\source","D:\Temp\glib-2.19.0","D:\Temp\glib-2.19.0\glib"],

and the output I am getting now is this:
D:\Temp\refract-0.2.0>setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_ext
building 'pyxgimp.pyxgimp' extension
creating build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp
C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -mdll -O -Wall -ID:\Temp\gimp-2.6.2\source -ID:\Temp\glib-2.19.0 -ID:\Temp\glib-2.19.0\glib -IC:\Python25\include -IC:\Python25\PC -c pyxgimp\pyxgimp.c -o build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o -Wno-unused
writing build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.def
creating build\lib.win32-2.5
creating build\lib.win32-2.5\pyxgimp
C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe -mno-cygwin -shared -s build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.def -LC:\Python25\libs -LC:\Python25\PCBuild -lpython25 -lmsvcr71 -o build\lib.win32-2.5\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.pyd
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x8d): undefined reference to `gimp_drawable_get'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x2ce): undefined reference to `gimp_drawable_offsets'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x460): undefined reference to `gimp_drawable_merge_shadow'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x65c): undefined reference to `gimp_drawable_update'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x760): undefined reference to `gimp_drawable_detach'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x7c7): undefined reference to `gimp_drawable_flush'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x8cb): undefined reference to `gimp_pixel_rgn_init'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x95d): undefined reference to `gimp_pixel_rgn_get_row'
build\temp.win32-2.5\Release\pyxgimp\pyxgimp.o:pyxgimp.c:(.text+0x9a6): undefined reference to `gimp_pixel_rgn_set_row'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

Feels pretty close!

#16 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

The file is in UNIX format, do you see loads of squares?
UNIX/linux uses a different CR/LF ASCII sequence, it's no biggie.

No i do not see a lot of squares
letters are fine what i see is the format messed up, and the comment to the code displayed and highlighted as was part of the code
..but you are right i will open on my linux computer to be sure

BTW i didn't open with Microsoft Notepad but with Notepad+ (http://notepad-plus....net/uk/site.htm )

Download and install the gimp
http://downloads.sou...orge.net/gimp-w ... -setup.exe

Note it points to the 2.4 installer

yes you are right i 'm going to correct now

And i will change that IDIOTS...was no my intention to offend just to draw attention on that file,( most of windows users will never read a file called README )
but i found a better and more polite way

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic