Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Mosaic Grid To Photos (NOT THE FILTER) - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mosaic Grid To Photos (NOT THE FILTER)

#1 User is offline   noclayto 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

I saw this tutorial at http://www.pixel2life.com/ (it was photoshop tutorial so I converted it). http://v2.hestudios....hotoshop/mosaic. Its pretty much the same till about step 7.

Scroll to the end to see the original and final results.

Step ONE:
Open up a picture. I chose one 640Xx480px (all imgs are scaled by 50% to save space, except the original and final) I downloaded it from http://www.morguefile.com.

Posted Image

Step TWO:
You will need three layers. The top layer should be transparent and the bottom two should be the image (duplicate the background layer).

Posted Image

Step THREE:
Now, with background copy layer selected go to Filter > Blur > Pixelize. Set the width and height to 10X10. You can use a different width and height but for this tutorial the following step is dependent on 10X10.

Posted Image

Step FOUR:
Create a NEW IMAGE 10X10px in dimension. If you used a different pixelize w&h then use that. Now create the pattern below and save "name".pat in your patterns file.

Posted Image

Step FIVE:
Now back to the first image, select the transparent layer. Select the bucket fill tool. Now, in your Tool Options Dialog set the FILL TYPE to PATTERN FILL. Refresh your patterns and use the newly created pattern.

Posted Image

Step SIX: (OPTIONAL)
You can reduce the transparent layers opacity to give it a better effect, try 25%. Then you want merge that layer down with the pixelized layer.

Posted Image

STEP SEVEN:
Now create a new layer. Fill with black or white, which ever is easier for you to see things with and then add layer mask, Layer->Masks->Add Layer Mask (WHITE FULL OPACITY). I used black and will call it the black layer.

Posted Image

STEP EIGHT:
Now make your original background visible and the others invisible (uncheck the eye). Now with your FREE SELECT TOOL (LASSO). Select the objects you want to appear throught the mosaic grid. I choose that guy cause he looks like he is having a bad day and the clock stuff just because. Don't worry about getting the selection exactly right.

Posted Image

STEP NINE:
Selection looks terrible right? Who cares, we got skills and we'll fix that. Now make your black layer visible again and select the layer mask. Fill the selection with the color black.

Posted Image

STEP TEN: (OPTIONAL)
Now we could just stop here but were not (ocd I guess). YOU CAN JUST LEAVE IT! You won't even notice the edges when we get done. I just have SHAAKKKYYY hands and can't free select objects that well, so there a little for me to clean up.

Now here is where we fix are edges (NOTE YOU WILL WANT TO LEAVE A LITTLE SPACE, like 2 or 3 px, AROUND YOUR OBJECT, DON'T GET IT TOO PERFECT). With the layer mask still selected go around your objects with the pencil or brush using the color black to add objects from your background and the color white to remove them. I like to zoom to like 800% and use a small brush of like 5 or 3 pixels. BUT WHATEVER! Here is what I ended up with, a little better.

Posted Image

STEP ELEVEN:
Now do a SELECT ALL on your layer mask, then copy it (ctrl+c). Hide your black layer and Show your pixelized layer. Select your pixelized layer and add a layer mask (whatever WHITE FULL OPACITY WILL DO). Then select your new layer mask. Then paste, then anchor your floating selection. You should see something like this.

Posted Image

STEP TWELVE: (OPTIONAL)
You could just leave it like that, BUUUUUUTTTTT we won't. Now with your pixelized layer's layer mask selected, do a Filter->Blur->Gaussian Blur. I did RLE 15X15 but it doesn't matter really choose what you fill is best.

Final:
Posted Image

Original:
Posted Image

I hope you like the extended version of the tutorial. The images aren't perfect but you get the idea. Use a smaller grid size to keep more of the background detail.
You can do plenty other things like use a zoom blur instead to create a different effect.
The layer mask skills will help do many other tricks like changing your photos of bad vacations to photos of vactions at some resort island.

NC

#2 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:14 PM

Thanks, NC. I've been playing with a very similar effect lately. Good tutorial.

A

#3 User is offline   Ali Imran 

• Owner
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:05 AM

Very well detailed tutorial, thanks for sharing NC.

btw, I have added your tutorials to pixel2life :h:

regards

#4 User is offline   Scatropolis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

Definatly something I'll be thinking about.

Thanks.

#5 User is offline   360 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:02 AM

Really good detail

#6 User is offline   Luke 

• PipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:31 PM

Nice tutorial, very effective.

#7 User is offline   drygorrrrn 

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2005 - 09:19 AM

nice tutorial

i whipped this one up in about 10 mins, its nowhere near finished but it gives a nice effect

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   zisme 

• PipPip

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:25 AM

I did this one quickly, and these are my results....
Tiled:
Posted Image
Original:
Posted Image
I'm not that great with the lasso tool because I have very unsteady hands. :h:

#9 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

I like the way it makes the guy in the foreground really stand out. This is a very good tutorial.

I have a friend who has a related tutorial on his website which uses Lego bricks as the tiles.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#10 User is offline   Roken 

• PipPip

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:27 AM

Thats a friend of mine.
Posted Image

Great tutorial. Didnt know you GIMP was so amazing. I guess you just have to know how to work with it. :l:
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   STEWE 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

I was browsing pixel2life for something like this... The only thing I don't understand about this is making the pattern... Explain please?

I made a 10x10 new image in GIMP saved it as "Mosiac.pat" under GIMP 2.0>shared>2.0>Patterns

When I try to use the bucket tool using patern fill the Mosiac pattern isn't there that I saved :c:?

#12 User is offline   ryanlerch 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:48 AM

i like, thanks very much.

#13 User is offline   xXxFAeLxXx 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 02:12 PM

Cool!
I liked very much this effect. :l:
Congractulations.

#14 User is offline   STEWE 

• PipPip

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:13 PM

Ok, I managed to get all the way to step ten.

But... right when I got to step 11. I went to paste the picture and I got this http://img70.imagesh...ronggimp6xe.png

Help? I'll be back later. I g2g to church.

*Edit* I got it, but I used a totally different tenique to do it... I only used 3 layers. Background the copy and the transparent.. Which I merged. Oh, and one layer mask.

I guess you could say I "stupified" it for myself :m:.

Imageshack isn't working for me now... I'll post my results later.

#15 User is offline   Jimmeh 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:40 AM

Yikes, i wish i made it as far as step 10
I'm stuck at step 4, i have no idea how to take the transparent layer and use it to create a pattern, please help!

#16 User is offline   -Tom- 

• Pip

Posted 11 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

i'm stuck on making the pattern too :o:
Edit - Oh i get it now..make a 10x10 pixel image (transparent), zoom in, draw a black outline and save as .pat

#17 User is offline   Jimmeh 

• PipPip

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:34 AM

I thought that would have helped me...and it almost did...but i'm using stupid evil fedora and it won't let me save the .pat file in anywhere useful (aka i cant find a single GIMP folder in my entire system. So I have to once again ask if anyone can help me...pleeease?
Jim

#18 User is offline   Jimmeh 

• PipPip

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:26 AM

never mind...i made it work!
Took me a while but i got there eventually(with help from my genius flatmate)
Thanks!
Jim

#19 User is offline   Jimmeh 

• PipPip

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:55 PM

It just gets worse. I got the pattern snd everything, but...
every 3rd line of my pattern it missing, so there is a mix of oddly sized squares. I cant do anything to fix it!
Any suggestions?

#20 User is offline   Amazo_Sage 

• Pip

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

Step FIVE:
Now back to the first image, select the transparent layer. Select the bucket fill tool. Now, in your Tool Options Dialog set the FILL TYPE to PATTERN FILL. Refresh your patterns and use the newly created pattern.

How do I refresh my patterns? Someone tell me :(

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic