Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: How To Install a Stand-Alone IRC Client (Trillian) - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Install a Stand-Alone IRC Client (Trillian)

#1 User is offline   Tarkenfire 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

IRC thread: http://www.gimptalk....el-16415-3.html

Well, as per Griatch’s request, I’ll be making a stand-alone IRC tutorial. There’s only one program I know well enough to do that with is Trillian, so that’s what I’ll use. Note that for the effect, I will be using IE instead of my normal Firefox.

Well, lets start off

Posted Image
On the desktop(I wub Saber-chan, btw), go onto your respective web browser (in this case IE(<_<)):

Now, go to http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/. (as seen below)
Posted Image

Click “Download Trillian Basic 3”. I won’t get into the downloading and installation of the program, as it is fairly straightforward.

Posted Image
Well, click on the Trillian Icon, do I have to tell you everything? Oh, I do? Ok then, click the Trillian Icon.

Posted Image
Wait for it to load.

(WARNING: I have my Trillian skinned, yours will look different in terms of color, but the layout will be the same. I will not be covering how to skin Trillian in this tutorial, if you really want to know, PM me (Tarkenfire)

Posted Image
Now, this is the Trilian mainscreem:

Posted Image
Click on any of the dots on top, and on the dropdown that comes down, click “Manage My Connections”

Posted Image
Now, your screen will look a little emptier then this, cause you just installed Trillian (Trillian isn’t only an IRC client, it also houses AIM, MSN, YIM, and ICQ as well as IRC in one program))

Click “Add New Connection”, and go up to “IRC” Click.

Posted Image
Now, you’ll get a screen like this, let me take a minute to explain what these boxes mean.
Server alias: This is just a name for the connection it self, you can call it GIMP, or GT, or Fluffy if you want. I’ll just go with gimptalk.

Irc.trillian.net::6667 – For those of you not familiar with IRC, this is the server and the port that will be used for connecting. I will be using irc.dal.net and 6667

Nickname: This is your name on the IRC network, in my case, I’ll be using Tarkenfire, you should use whichever name you desire.

Username and User Info: This is just useless info, you can put whatever you like here, for myself, I will be putting my first name in username, and muffin in the user info.

Posted Image
Make sure you check the “Connect on start” box, and your screen should look similar to this. Now, click the “change…” button.

Posted Image
Now, ignore all but the bottom of this new box.

Posted Image
Make sure it looks like this, most importantly the port and the checkbox.

Click “Save Settings”

Posted Image
Now, click connect on your newly created connection.

Posted Image
It should look like this.

Click “Close” on the bottom right

Now, lets focus on the Trillian Mainscreen now.
It looks like this now:

Posted Image
Notice something different? Yep, the white dot is lit up. Why don’t we click it?

Posted Image
Go down to “Join Channel” and click it.

Posted Image
You’ll see a prompt like this, type “#GIMP” into it.

Posted Image
And there you go; you’re in the GIMP room (well, hopfully, if you followed so far).

Now, Trillain has many other features, and this is just a tutorial on one of them, I don’t really plan on making any other ones (unless asked to)

Note that if you have firefox, you can just download the Chatzilla plug-in.

#2 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:27 AM

Good job, Tarkenfire!
Griatch

#3 User is offline   Tarkenfire 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

Bwump