Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: GAP - Text Along Path - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GAP - Text Along Path

#21 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:19 PM

OK. I have two different _000001.xcf images with a leaf in each one on a path.

Where/how do I go from there? How do I put the second image into the first? I have not done frames to image on either one yet.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

OK, this is what I've tried.

The first animation is with the yellow leaf, the second one with the red.

I opened leaf1_000001 (yellow), and opened leaf2_000004 (red).

Move Path.

I tried every loop combo I could and all I could get was the red leaf going from the 4th point down but it would not loop back to the first point and move down from there in the animation.

Another thing, I don't know the math to use to set the 4th frame leaf in the dialog. Urg!

Click here to view.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:34 AM

Let's assume you have a sequence named firstleaf_000001.xcf through firstleaf_000010.xcf, and a second sequence named secondleaf_000001.xcf through secondleaf_000010.xcf. Both sequences were generated using the same approach, but with different paths, and the frames of each sequence consist of a background layer and a leaf layer.

Assuming that you are using GAP version 2.6, you should use the new command "Video->Frames Modify->Resize layer(s) to image size" on the leaf layer of all the frames of secondleaf_######.xcf. You should then delete (or hide) the background layer of each of secondleaf's frames. After doing this, you will end up with a leaf layer that is the full size of the image (Move Path autocrops objects which are rotated or scaled, and such layers cannot be used directly).

Next, navigate to the frame of the secondleaf sequence you wish to start with (using the VCR Navigator, Playback, or "Video->Go to->Any frame"). For example, secondleaf_000005.xcf, then execute "Video->Move Path" in firstleaf_000001.xcf's window. Choose "Frame Loop" for the Step Mode but leave everything else at their defaults. Press OK and you are done.

Posted Image
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#24 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:21 AM

Who hoo!!!!! Perfect!!!!

My plan is to have 4 paths for each image and start on points 4, 8, 12 & 16 for a 20-frame animation. It's going to take a long time to construct but hopefully without too many head-banging mess-ups.

Thank you so much, saulgoode!

Here is my sample image.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, I don't have GAP 2.6. It hasn't been updated for my version of Linux yet. Had to resize all the images from leaf2 manually and hide the bgs.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:30 AM

If you don't have GAP 2.6, you might find it easier -- rather than resizing all of the secondleaf layers -- to convert the secondleaf sequence to a multi-layer image ("Video->Frames To Image" with the "Ignore background" option). Once you have done this, you can specify the particular layer with which to start by appropriately setting the Source Image/Layer in the Move Path dialog and choosing the "Loop" Step Mode.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#26 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

That did not work well. I set stepmode to loop and chose the 4th layer of the second leaf animation.

This is a screen shot of the resulting animation.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

Very elegant solution, saulgoode! I look forward to experimenting with this. (I finally got my computer up and running again after a long downtime.) Good luck, Oregonian!

#28 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

saulgoode said:

Once you have done this, you can specify the particular layer with which to start by appropriately setting the Source Image/Layer in the Move Path dialog and choosing the "Loop" Step Mode.
I know what I did wrong. I put the frame handle at Center, I should have left it Left Top. I kept looking at that screen print of the animation and the layer boundary of the red one was wrong. Leaving the handle at Left Top centered the frame like it should be.

It works exactly as I want it to; that will result in making the big animation much faster.

I hope that makes sense. :wink:

LOL, I kept having to re-do the initial first leaf frame with all this experimenting. I finally got smart and made a copy of the folder it was in before I added the red leaf.

If it works out like I have it pictured in my mind, I want to make some confetti and ribbons falling like the leaves.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Is there some secret to creating a new path, giving it a name and have the path tool make it in the new path?

I tried making a path, named it, clicked with the path tool and it just makes a new path called Unnamed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:06 PM

Finally, I think I got my ducks in a row. This is a demo picture I threw together. It's 12 frames - it needs more frames to look good - and I think the leaves need to be smaller.

3 paths instead of 4 would space them apart better horizontally.

At least I know how to do it thanks to fencepost and saulgoode. :mrgreen:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

AlcaMagic said:

I don't understand how to download it. I go here: ftp://ftp.gimp.org/p...g-ins/v2.6/gap/ and I get a directory, so I download the file in the middle, the largest one, and I open it in Windows Explorer *barfs* and it wants me to download that exact file so that it opens it in Windows Explorer *barfs* and it wants me to download that exact file so that it opens it in Windows Explorer *barfs* and it wants me to download that exact file so that it opens, etc. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

AlcaMagic,

Check this link for GAP for users of Windows:

http://www.gimptalk....ows-t28692.html

O,

Very nice use of animating an object along a path. Figuring out the logistics of animations is a major part of the process. That and time have always been the two major factors for myself when creating an animation.

One idea that your interesting falling leaf animation has inspired in me is using path animating to simulate a cyclic animation showing the leaves falling and piling up a bit, and then blowing away. It would require a lot of separate paths (did I mention a lot? :mrgreen: )

I'm not sure that I'm up to taking the time for doing so at this point, but it could be a neat animation indeed. I've already sketched out in my mind how to accomplish it. That's the fun of group art, someone starts with an idea and others add to it and build on it from there.

:D

Another idea is the use of the Perspective controls in the Move Path dialog Window. One could use them to make the leaves look more like they are not only falling , but wavering back and forth (twisting back and forth along the z-axis for those into geometry) along the path as they fall.

That would likely require leaves falling at a slower speed and more frames to make the animation appear smooth.

Again, those are just thoughts that came to me while watching your animation.

Great animation though and I love the colorful nature of your animation too. It's plain fun to watch.

#32 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

ccbarr said:

One idea that your interesting falling leaf animation has inspired in me is using path animating to simulate a cyclic animation showing the leaves falling and piling up a bit, and then blowing away. It would require a lot of separate paths (did I mention a lot? :mrgreen: )

I'm not sure that I'm up to taking the time for doing so at this point, but it could be a neat animation indeed. I've already sketched out in my mind how to accomplish it. That's the fun of group art, someone starts with an idea and others add to it and build on it from there.

Another idea is the use of the Perspective controls in the Move Path dialog Window. One could use them to make the leaves look more like they are not only falling , but wavering back and forth (twisting back and forth along the z-axis for those into geometry) along the path as they fall.

That would likely require leaves falling at a slower speed and more frames to make the animation appear smooth.

Again, those are just thoughts that came to me while watching your animation.

Great animation though and I love the colorful nature of your animation too. It's plain fun to watch.

Thank you for your input. I am thinking of ways to improve that animation but wanted to make a relatively small animation so I could view it and ponder it a bit.

You've blown me away with your idea about piling up and blowing away. Very cool idea! Yep, it would take a great amount of time and frames.

Your perspective idea sounds fun, too. Now you have my head buzzing. One person's idea leads to blossoms in another's head, for sure.

If you'd like to save a little time, you can download my Autumn Oak Leaves brush here. I made it last fall from a dingbat font I got here. The leaves in my animation are 0.75 size and I'm thinking 0.5 - 0.6 might be better.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:45 PM

O,

Thanks for your brush and the font file. Those will be very helpful.

One thing that I forgot to discuss was your issue regarding beginning a leaf at a different point on a path.

First, the solution offered by saulgoode is probably the easiest to understand and use. It is a very good method.

I'm going to throw out a different one that may be a little more difficult to grasp logistically, but hopefully not too much, and it allows one to avoid making separate path animations for each leaf (object) first.

Let's say you used Move Path, grabbed your chosen Path and created your first leaf animating along a Path. If your animation is 20 frames long, when you grab your Path holding down the Shift key, Gimp will add a point along the path for each of those 20 frames.

In your Move Path window, your first animation was set using From Frame 1 and To Frame 20. You began the animation at frame 1 and ended it at frame 20. But you want to start this second leaf at point 5 (for example) on the path.

Run Move Path and set everything up for the second leaf. Grab your Path as you would. You should now see a nice Path of 20 points in the Move Path window. Now, using the Delete Point button, go and delete points 1 through 4. You now have a Path with 16 points and now the first frame that the second leaf will have to start at will be at what was point 5.

Leave your From Frame setting to 1, since you want the second leaf's animation point to be at point 5 (which normally would have corresponded to frame 5, but by removing the previous points, it now begins at Frame 1) However, change the To Frame setting to 16 (to correspond to the fact that your path now only has 16 points). In order for the second leaf to move along the Path at the same speed as leaf number 1, it must travel from point 1 to point 20 over 20 frames. What you are going to do is split up that part of the animation. In this first run of Move Path, you are going to animate it along points 5 through 20 (which will correspond to Frames 1 through 16). In the second run of Move Path, you will animate it along the remaining points 1 through 4. It won't look split up in your final cyclic animated result, but you divide it in creating it.

Go ahead and Review the animation to see how it runs and then finalize it by pressing OK in the Move Path window.

Then run Move Path a second time for that second leaf. Again, set everything up, grabbing the path, etc. Then using the Delete Point button, delete points 5 through 20, leaving only points 1 through 4 in the path. This time, you will want to set your From Frame to 17 (since you ended the last one at 16) and your To Frame to 20 (that is four frames for four points).

That will complete the ending portion of the second leaf's animation cycle. Now, after finishing that second round of Move Path for the second leaf, if you play back the entire animation, you should see leaf #1 starting at the beginning of the path and move to the end along 20 frames, while you will see leaf 2 begin at point 5 position on the path and move to frame 20 and then appear again at point 1 and end at point 4 on the path for one cycle of the animation.

Logistically, it's a bit harder to conceive of this approach. It does allow one to eliminate the step of having to create a separate animation for each leaf, however, it does increase the amount of times that you need to use Move Path.

Depending on what you are doing, each method has it's advantages. Neither approach is right or wrong, just different. Just thought that I would offer this different approach as another method to consider. Thanks.

:)

P.S.: I just noticed above that you are thinking of an animation that has streamers and confetti falling. I will just give some hint, but you can use "animated" Layer Masks to allow your streamers to appear to be curling about as they flow to the ground. Long ago, I posted an animation where it looks like snakes moving along criss-crossing over one another. Even though it appears that way, the "snakes" are made out of two static paths and I just developed an animated Layer Mask to provide an illusion of motion. Well that is all animation is anyhow, an illusion of motion. The better the illusion, the more realistic and believable it is to the viewer.

#34 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

ccbarr said:

Depending on what you are doing, each method has it's advantages. Neither approach is right or wrong, just different. Just thought that I would offer this different approach as another method to consider.

I did that second leaf over and over and the preview showed two leaves, one near the top and one near the bottom, just twirling in small arcs. I kept thinking I couldn't be wrong that many times so finally in exasperation I did frames to image to post and show what was happening. It was fine, it was the preview that was wrong.

I had to get my thinking cap on and think in RPN to do the next 2 leaves but it came out well. Here, finally, are the leaves. I like this method now that I have a good grasp of how to do it. It saves making many frames. I trust I can add a new path and do the same thing in the same image.

Posted Image

ccbarr said:

I just noticed above that you are thinking of an animation that has streamers and confetti falling. I will just give some hint, but you can use "animated" Layer Masks to allow your streamers to appear to be curling about as they flow to the ground. Long ago, I posted an animation where it looks like snakes moving along criss-crossing over one another. Even though it appears that way, the "snakes" are made out of two static paths and I just developed an animated Layer Mask to provide an illusion of motion. Well that is all animation is anyhow, an illusion of motion. The better the illusion, the more realistic and believable it is to the viewer.

That sounds very nice. I'd like to see something like that. Curling streamers sound great!
I was thinking of making confetti and making the layers black and white but masking twenty layers of a multicolored bg is pretty daunting.

I was going to go in and play with the perspective tool in the Move Path dialog but I think that's something for another day. Posted Image

Thank you so much. :mrgreen:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:26 AM

Oregonian said:

I did that second leaf over and over and the preview showed two leaves, one near the top and one near the bottom, just twirling in small arcs. I kept thinking I couldn't be wrong that many times so finally in exasperation I did frames to image to post and show what was happening. It was fine, it was the preview that was wrong.

O,

Based on your description, the preview sounds to me like it may have been correct. What the preview would show over and over again, would be the few frames that were being rendered. Say you were doing the frames 17 through 20 on that second leaf. The preview would show exactly what you described, since leaf two would be starting at position 1 on the path and moving just to position 4 and repeating, and the first leaf would be moving from position 17 on the path to position 20. The review would be playing just that small portion of the animation being rendered at the time. That can be confusing.

Glad you could understand and use the method that I offered up.

Your animation is looking great! :mrgreen:

You are really getting into more complex animation stages now and doing quite well as your results show. You really are mastering GAP quite well.

#36 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Oregonian said:

I was going to go in and play with the perspective tool in the Move Path dialog but I think that's something for another day.

Indeed the perspective tab of Move Path can be a bit unintuitive. You might consider using just the X scaling to create a "rotating" leaf animation; and then overlaying that animation onto your final sequence using Grab Path and Rotate follow.

#37 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

saulgoode said:

Indeed the perspective tab of Move Path can be a bit unintuitive.
Don't forget intimidating and incomprehensible ... I searched for information but came up with a blank on using the tool.

We need a tut for using the Perspective Tool in GAP. :mrgreen:

I added two more paths to the above animation - I only added two leaves to path two and one to path three and started them at different points from the first path's points. I think it's less cluttered that way. I'm still experimenting though.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 User is offline   HeroLink 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

Im having trouble with step 16 and down. I didn't read that I needed a duplicated layer with teh path in it, but what I don't understand is how see my path on the side? Is there an updated tut?

Oh I must add, does the fact that Im dealing with a 100x100 avvie affect anything?
Posted Image

#39 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:06 AM

It's not required to see your path but you can see it if you click the Paths tab and click the eye to the left of it to see the path in the image.

When you Shift + Grab Path in GAP it becomes visible as a red line with dots along it.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   HeroLink 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

Oregonian said:

It's not required to see your path but you can see it if you click the Paths tab and click the eye to the left of it to see the path in the image.

When you Shift + Grab Path in GAP it becomes visible as a red line with dots along it.

how do I know im in gap?
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic