Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Creating and Using Paths - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creating and Using Paths

#61 User is offline   morri 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi ccbarr,

I used the tool that said "create and edit paths" it kind of looks like the end of a pair of pliers looping thread through a post.

"It's been a while since I followed fencepost's tutorial here, and if you did follow this tutorial, when you convert your path to a selection, you may get a smoother cut by first feathering the selection: Select | Feather from the Image window and then select maybe 2 or 3 pixels feathering in the box that opens"

Do I do this after I have cut out the background, while the isolated image is still selected in the path?

I save my images in jpg format

"Did you try merging the flower layer down onto the Plasma layer before saving? That would take care of the transparency problem if you are saving as a GIF image file type."

How do you merge the flower layer? Do you do that only with a gif image or does it work when saving to jpg? This is all new to me. I don't have HELP on my gimp program, for some reason it wouldn't download.

I read the tutorials on removing backgrounds and they were very helpful, but I still have some edges on my finished product that either look a little jagged, or flat when they should be more rounded. Maybe I am cutting too much off the flower, maybe not enough?

When reduced down to a small photo the images looks great, but at the original 2304 x 3972, it looks a little jagged around the edges. I like the edges to look smooth. Sometimes the final image will look like it was sewn together. It actually looks like the flower was sewn into the picture.

#62 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

morri,

Once you have created your paths, first have you looked at the paths with your image at 100% magnification? Sometimes a path looks good at lower magnification, but when magnified to 100% we see problems that need fixing. This could be one issue surrounding your getting jagged results. So I do recommend zooming in at 100% after making your paths to see if you need to add extra Anchors (those are the points on a Path). Also, look at your Selection with your image at 100%. How does it look? Is it jagged too? Your results will only be as good as your Path is drawn, and it's subsequent Selection.

If you are not completely familiar with Paths and the concepts surrounding them, you can try out fencepost's tutorial about Paths. You can probably find his general tutorial about Paths in the Sticky Topics Tutorial Index in either the Gimp Tutorials and Tips section or in the User Submitted Gimp Tips & Tutorials section. Sticky topics are placed at the beginning sections and provide a lot of helpful information, especially for new users here.

There are also one maybe two tutorials over at gimp.org in their tutorial section explaining Paths. If you don't understand Paths to begin with, then you can run into problems working with them.

When you convert your Path to a Selection, and then invert your selection, before you get ready to Apply a Cut to remove the Background and retain the Foreground, do not apply the Cut (Edit | Cut), but rather first do the Feather Selection (again, this is throwing out an idea that may help with smoothing, may not) as I indicated above.

JPEG cannot handle transparency or layers at all. What happens when you save a file in JPEG format, is the image is Flattened. This means all layers are merged into one, and any remaining transparent pixels take on the Background color you have set for Gimp at the time of the merging. PNG on the other hand, while it cannot handle layers, can handle transparency, but I do not know if transparency is your real issue at this time. I only mentioned it as a possible issue of concern. Also, it is always a good idea to save your image in native Gimp format (XCF) since it handles both layers and transparency. Plus that way, if something goes wrong, often times, you don't have to start completely over when working on a project.

:h:

#63 User is offline   Ivan 

• PipPip

Posted 15 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

Fencepost, I learned not only about path here but I learned much about image-editing generally. I wanted to uninstall Gimp, I hated it, because nothing worked for me. It was very frustrating. Then Saulgoode recommended me this tutorial and ....(http://www.gimptalk....t=24374&start=1, I need not repeat) Thank you.
But now a question. I persist to use the intelligent scissor, which works very well in 3.19 and I have 23 plates to clip and it goes fast and easy to select with scissor. It is teh same than any other selecting, but the last step: cutting doesn't work after i've changed to selection to path, adjusted and changed back to selection. It is curious, becuase I could cut after scissor-selecting without problem before I changed to path and back. Is it anyway something wriong with the scissor or I do something wrong.

#64 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

Ivan,

I'll attempt to give you an answer based on what I have learned about Paths. When you convert a selection to a Path, the Path that is created is an approximation of the Selection. Since Bezier curves are mathematically represented I believe, the application makes it's best attempt to approximate your selection mathematically, but it is not an exact copy. Therefore when you convert that Path back to a selection, it may not be exactly the same.

Better to save your Selection to Channel by using:

Select | Save to Channel from the image menu. That will make a copy of your selection rather than an approximation as the Path conversion does. When you want to reactivate your selection again, just go to the Channels dialog window and click on the Channel to Selection button at the bottom (make sure you have the proper channel selected).

I believe docs.gimp.org is where I found the information about Paths (Bezier curves). I too had the same problem with selections being converted to Paths and wondered why.

Here is a link if you are interested:

http://docs.gimp.org...ath-dialog.html

Hope this helps some. :h:

#65 User is offline   srgiri 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

An easy and informative tutorial. Thanks a lot.

#66 User is offline   Yodazized 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hey Fencepost, I am really new at Gimp and the Tuts that your self and others have been very helpfull and great. I am having problems with makeing the Guidlines- How did you do this.

Now, let's move on to some text manipulation.

Techyon really likes using text in his graphics. But none of the standard fonts really look like he wants them to. What's the poor guy to do? Give up? Not a chance. We've got the mighty paths tool to accomplish this task.

Open a new document

Grab the text tool and type out some something. I'm using “Techyon"

I've added some guidelines for placement purposes, because paths will snap to guidelines just like the other GIMP tools.

Alpha to Selection on the text layer to get the text outline

Convert the selection to a path

Grab the path tool and activate the path so we can see the anchors.

Grab the anchors like I've done and move them to your hearts content.

Once you're done, convert the path to a selection and fill the selection with color.

Walah! Techyon has the text looking like he's always wanted it to!
Posted Image

#67 User is offline   codyzapp 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

Thankyou for the creating this tutorial Sir, i was forwarded to this post by Griatch in chat :p

when yall come back could you point me to a good demonstration on how to work the path tool?
 or perhaps teach me :)
 Ok, back. 
 CODYZAPP: http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/Creating-And-Using-Paths-602-1.html

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic