Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Creating and Using Paths - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Creating and Using Paths

#41 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:40 AM

Well, not only am I an American, but I've lived in the south for 25 years. So, I have a really nice southern drawl.

So, here's how I would say it (maybe I outta record my voice and post it. Probably easier to do that than try to type it phonetically :w:)

Whale, y'all! I's in a purdy bad mood ta-day til I red bout that peeg, el porko, figgering out how's ta do them there paths. Then, I's got mighty chuffed! Now where's the pork rinds?

There I did it! Took me 5 minutes to type that!

Now, how does a peeg say chuffed? Oink, oink?

Art

#42 User is offline   badassfeline 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

:l: Yes.. i can hear it now! Lush! or better still, Stonking! ... isnt it?

* Am Welsh, see,

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

Also, should be BardArseFeline, but it didn't sound right
Posted Image

#43 User is offline   el puerco 

• PipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

Well seeing as I am the king of pig theme the best I can offer is the south west country bumkin:

'get tha dawg owff my laaand, im be worryin moi pigs' :w:
Posted Image

#44 User is offline   SixHundredThreescoreandSi 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

Amazing...Your tut was clear and easy to follow, and it made doing paths alot easier, considering I didn't know how to do them anyway! x_x

10/10, excellent job (as usual =D)
Posted Image
Its Humanity. Its you. Its Me.

#45 User is offline   Kiko 

• PipPip

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:42 AM

this is my result...lol it works great! lol i love it!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#46 User is offline   Kiko 

• PipPip

Posted 10 September 2006 - 02:44 AM

urgh nvm that top one this is a better one...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 User is offline   Bacon 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:20 PM

how do u convert to path?
http://dingme.deviantart.com/
new:
Posted Image
And when he gets to Hevean
To Saint Peters he will tell
One more soldier reporting for duty sir
Ive served my time in Hell

#48 User is offline   linkmasta23 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:37 PM

how do you do those animated instructions?
Under construction.

#49 User is offline   troy 

• Pip

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

Fencepost, I've been going through Gimp tutorials, and you definitely have an art for explaining a lot of complicated concepts in an extremely efficient and effective manner. Your animations are a huge benefit.

Unfortunately, I need some hand-holding as I'm struggling to duplicate a part of your tutorial. Way at the beginning of the tutorial, you have us create a few anchor points in a path, then explain to drag away while creating a new anchor to get the handles --- or to click an existing anchor, then Ctrl-drag to get handles. This is not working for me. I can't seem to get handles on my anchors. I'm running v2.2.13 on WinXP.

I really appreciate help from the excellent Gimp community, and I promise to give back once I understand enough to answer some other noob's question.

#50 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:11 AM

troy, fencepost has not been around in a while. You can find him at http://fence-post.deviantart.com. And I can tell you that many here really value the excellent tutorials that fencepost provided to this community. :h:

I will try to answer your questions as best as I can. First you need to check the Tool Options dialog window to make sure you do not have Polygonal selected. If you are not sure of where the Tool Options dialog window is, just click on Dialog | Tool Options in your image window. Make sure you have the Path tool selected before opening the Tool Options dialog window. Some versions of gimp already have that dialog window as part of a tabbed group of windows at the bottom of the main gimp toolbox window. Not sure about your setup. You will not see handles if you are using Polygonal paths.

If that is unchecked, then just make sure that when you click in your image window to add an anchor, do not release your mouse button. Hold it down while dragging your mouse and you will see the control points appear.

The CTRL-drag issue is the same. Press CTRL and while holding that down, click your cursor directly on an anchor, but do not release your mouse button, rather hold both the CTRL key and the mouse button down while you drag your mouse. Each anchor has two control points, and using the CTRL-drag method, you need to CTRL-drag twice on a given anchor point to make both of it's control points visible.

Hope this helps in some way. :h:

#51 User is offline   Monochi 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

Im new to GIMP and i think that your tutorial is amazing. But i have a question that i dont think that you answered. When i made the path i was having trouble deleting the background(the part of the picture that was not in the path). I dont know if you or anybody could help me but i am in need of a tutorial that would teach me that. Also if it is included in your tutorial then please tell me because i probably didnt see it.

#52 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for the compliments. Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.gimptalk....ges-7285-1.html

There are two tutorials you can choose from....one on paths (by me) and the other using quickmasks (by swmiller6). Both are good tools to have in your toolbox.

Have fun.

Art

#53 User is offline   Monochi 

• Pip

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:39 AM

Thank you. That helped me SO MUCH! Thank you and i will post my render here if that is ok...although it sucks its my first one.

#54 User is offline   taylor 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

blah blah lol hello

#55 User is offline   Aik 

• PipPip

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

this is really amazing...i nvr knew you could do this in gimp
Favourite-
Posted Image

#56 User is offline   omgitzkane 

• PipPip

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

great tutorial, i dont want to lose this one this time...
gonna try some of this
thanks fencepost!
Posted Image

#57 User is offline   GammaPoint 

• Pip

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:55 AM

Thanks for making this tutorial, it helped me a lot =)

#58 User is offline   dr-fish 

• PipPip

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

great tutorial fencepost, but just one point: Perhaps in the 1st installment, you could mention that you can move sections of a path by Shift+clicking on anchor points and then dragging.

#59 User is offline   morri 

• Pip

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:30 AM

I am new here and fairly new to using gimp. I took a photo of a flower, used the clipping path tool to cut out the background of the photo so that only the flower remained. I then added a neat colorful background by going to -filter, render, clouds, plasma. The problem is, when the finished product is viewed at 100%, the edges of my flower look jagged. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to smooth the edges. I've experiemented with the smudge and blur tools without much success.

#60 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:20 AM

morri,

A few questions here. First by "clipping path tool" do you mean you used fencepost's path method here to remove a background? Or do you mean the Intelligent Scissors Tool (the icon for that tool looks like a pair of scissors). If you used the Intelligent Scissors, did you make sure that your Tool Options had Antialiasing selected? Often the Tool Options window is one of the Tabbed windows at the bottom of the Main Gimp Toolbar Window. If not, you can double-click on the Intelligent Scissors icon and that should open the Tool Options window for that tool.

It's been a while since I followed fencepost's tutorial here, and if you did follow this tutorial, when you convert your path to a selection, you may get a smoother cut by first feathering the selection:

Select | Feather from the Image window and then select maybe 2 or 3 pixels feathering in the box that opens.

Also, what image type are you saving your final image as? If you are saving as an Indexed image type such as GIF, then you will have antialiasing problems because Indexed images can only have either opaque or transparent pixels, but not semi-transparent pixels. It's the semi-transparent pixels that give it a smooth antialiased look (when you have a transparent background). Did you try merging the flower layer down onto the Plasma layer before saving? That would take care of the transparency problem if you are saving as a GIF image file type.

Finally, if you are looking for more methods for removing backgrounds from images, please go to the General Help section of gimptalk and you will see some Sticky Links towards the beginning of the section. One of those links will take you to a page that provides links to at least three tutorials for removing backgrounds from images.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Hope something here helps you towards achieving your goal. :h:

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic