Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: How to unmerge layers after save - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to unmerge layers after save

#1 User is offline   monkey_360 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:32 AM

I made a sig and then i saved it, turned gimp off and then i wanted to modify it but it was only one layer and i was wondering if there was a way of seperating them again..

#2 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:40 AM

Unfortunately, the answer is "no". There is not a way to get your original, multilayer image back (other than manually cutting out the different parts of the image and pasting them into new layers).

When you are editing with the GIMP, I highly recommend that you use only the XCF file format. When you wish to transfer the result to a different program, put it on the Internet, or give it to a friend who doesn't have the GIMP, you can do a "Save a copy..." which will allow you to produce the format needed and return you to your original (XCF) file. Future versions of the GIMP will probably not permit you to just "Save" a file as anything other than XCF (you will have to do an "export" to produce PNGs, GIFs, JPGs, etc).
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#3 User is offline   ulillillia 

• PipPip

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:17 AM

If you're merely after getting rid of some transparent part, I have a method to undoing transparency, which works very well for getting rid of watermarks. This is all just a matter of mathematics and given I know the formula and the technique, there's not really all that much to it:

This thread in another forum is where I used the technique to get rid of a water mark for someone. I've explained the technique - just read from where I linked to down in the thread.

Transparency is calculated starting with the lowest layers going up in the stack.
It's amazing what mathematics can do for artwork!

#4 User is offline   monkey_360 

• PipPip

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

alright thanks alot

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic