Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Your Very First GIMP Drawing - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Very First GIMP Drawing

#1 User is offline   merrak 

• `/\=======/\"-
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationMount Olive, NC

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

This may be fun. Share your very first "real" GIMP drawing - if you can find it! By "real" I mean, not a doodle you may have made testing out the program - find a completed project.

Here's mine. It's not the very first drawing, but it's my first complete scene.

Posted Image
Image is a link to a slightly bigger version, but I think you can get the gist of it from here.

I remember being very pleased that I figured out how to do the shadow. The character is the same recurring character that shows up in several of my drawings. Finding this made me remember why she is always wearing red. The joke is from when I lived in Chapel Hill. Anyone from North Carolina is probably aware of the rivalry between University of North Carolina (UNC) and NC State University (NCSU). I lived in Chapel Hill while my wife was finishing her master's at UNC. I drew my protagonist wearing the NCSU (my school's) colors, and the antagonists wearing UNC (her school's) colors. Like any loving husband would do, all this was done just to tease her.

#2 User is offline   Moko 

• Angel Princess
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

I think I know where mine is, but it's on my other computer, if I get a chance I'll post mine. xD..And a side thing, I actually like that drawing. lol
Posted Image

If you are in to art, please check out my blog The Factoid Firefly!

#3 User is offline   merrak 

• `/\=======/\"-
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostMoko, on 21 February 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

I think I know where mine is, but it's on my other computer, if I get a chance I'll post mine. xD..And a side thing, I actually like that drawing. lol

I still like it, too :) ...but more for sentimental reasons. It was originally an ink drawing, scanned and colored with GIMP. The original line art is framed and hanging by the door to my front porch cafe.

I vaguely remember some of your older drawings that you posted here. At least, I remember a little cone-shaped creature with big ears.

#4 User is offline   ASN95(Roseus) 

• call me eliris please (not roseus or asn anymore)
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

hahaha, great thread, this was my very first: Posted Image
please call me eliris from now on.
thanks =D

#5 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

@Merrak:

That's a lively first scene. It's quite advanced too, with the rays of light. Fun concept with the masked creatures surrounding her and their "painted" faces. :) One can certainly see the style you have come to further develop.

@ASN95:

Cool first image! Interesting with the red hair, it looks like a zombie, but a tad more aware of its surroundings. :)

Here's the oldest complete one I've found using GIMP, it's about 9 years old now (2003), before I started using GIMP more actively:
Posted Image
Scanned from pencil (foreground and background separately) and coloured in GIMP in an above layer.

Anatomy is quite iffy. He has very long legs, doesn't he? And where are their feet? I remember it being tricky to make sure he was considerably taller than her while keeping him proportional, clearly that didn't work out. But this is actually a very early interpretation of the girl from Where Red Apples Lie. She had two legs in this variant.
Griatch

#6 User is offline   ASN95(Roseus) 

• PipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

@griatch, haha, you taught me some things back when i first posted that here on GT :D
yours has a very friendly atmosphere :D
thanks =D

#7 User is offline   merrak 

• `/\=======/\"-
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

@ASN95:

I remember that zombie! He does seem unusually lively. Maybe he just ate the brains of a barista?

@Griatch:

The scene was re-drawn quite a bit. I remember it taking a very long time. At the time I thought I would learn best if I re-drew the same scene until it was "perfect." Now that seems like a rather silly notion.

I can definitely see your style of characters in the 2003 drawing. The girl reminds me more of the troll lady than the one-legged mysterious girl (does she have a name?) - probably due to the poofed-up hair. Plus, after reading the snippets, I just can't imagine her having two legs.

#8 User is offline   14Stones 

• GT's worst sigmaker.
  • PipPip
  • LocationStalker much?

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

xD, mine is just a bunch of stick men :P
Sexy gift from Astroking.Posted Image

Sexy gift from ben! I absouloutly love it! Thanks so much!
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   greentunic 

• GT Moderator
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Posted Image
hahaha
made for a fanart contest at NSider

#10 User is offline   merrak 

• `/\=======/\"-
  • PipPip

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

View Postgreentunic, on 24 February 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

hahaha

That's a good first drawing!

This post has been edited by merrak: 25 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

#11 User is offline   ASN95(Roseus) 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Postgreentunic, on 24 February 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Posted Image
hahaha

I agree with merrak, thats awesome for a first!
i'd like to see how awesome are the drawings you do today =D
thanks =D

#12 User is offline   greentunic 

• GT Moderator
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks both! Of course I had been drawing for a long time before that, so it's not my first drawing, just my first completed in GIMP (or any software other than MS Paint). Both of yours are very good too, and certainly more polished than mine, which has rough edges and not so good shading.

#13 User is offline   BaukjeSpirit 

• PipPip
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

Great thread! Love to see all those first projects :D

I can't find my first or second one.. I don't even remember them xD They must have been so bad.
But here's my third one, I think this one was my first or second 'real' project.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

View Postmerrak, on 23 February 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

I can definitely see your style of characters in the 2003 drawing. The girl reminds me more of the troll lady than the one-legged mysterious girl (does she have a name?) - probably due to the poofed-up hair. Plus, after reading the snippets, I just can't imagine her having two legs.

It's really rough, I had mostly been doing fantasy landscape paintings in oils up until that point. Drawing (supposedly realistic) people was relatively new to me, also on paper. :) Her official designation is "The Unknown Girl", it remains to be seen if she has a name. I cannot imagine her with two legs either these days. This story has gone through various revisions over the years, including how I depict her. One day I might put together a mosaic of the various versions.

@greentunic
I remember seeing this. He looks like a rabid fan, like one you would find at a convention. :)

@BaukjeSpirit
You do know your horses and it's a very nice painting. Did you paint in analogue (non-computer) media before starting in GIMP? :)
Griatch

#15 User is offline   Demented 

• Mildly Coherent Bespectacled Man
  • PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Wow. It was only four years ago, or at least that's the oldest I could find on my machine.

I made this card for fun, as the first in a set (booster pack). I don't think I ever uploaded it anywhere before now.

Posted Image

It's not much, but I really like it.

By the way, GT's all screwed up for me. None of the buttons in the text editor are working, and I can't access the menu that pops up when you hover over your name in the user box in the top-right.
Links to Tutorials, Programs, and Awesome!
If I seem curt or dismissive, it's usually not because I'm trying to be. I'm just socially inept. :/
Gifts
I'll help you on two conditions:
1) I try to help, but I don't know everything, and I'm not an expert, so I might not be able to fix it.
2) If I don't respond right away, it not that I'm ignoring you, I'm just busy or something.
Oh, and I edit my posts more often than I make new ones, so use the Refresh/Reload button on your browser.

#16 User is offline   merrak 

• `/\=======/\"-
  • PipPip

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

@BaukjeSpirit

I'm certainly impressed!

@Demented

They don't work for me either. On top of that, if I scroll up then scroll back down, the contents of the "Fast Reply" box disappear.

Is that supposed to be a Magic card? I had some friends try to get me into that, but I just couldn't get into it.

#17 User is offline   Demented 

• Mildly Coherent Bespectacled Man
  • PipPip
  • LocationUS

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Uh, yes and no. It's a magic (spell) card for the YuGiOh card game, not a Magic the Gathering card. I tried it once. I never really liked Magic either.
Links to Tutorials, Programs, and Awesome!
If I seem curt or dismissive, it's usually not because I'm trying to be. I'm just socially inept. :/
Gifts
I'll help you on two conditions:
1) I try to help, but I don't know everything, and I'm not an expert, so I might not be able to fix it.
2) If I don't respond right away, it not that I'm ignoring you, I'm just busy or something.
Oh, and I edit my posts more often than I make new ones, so use the Refresh/Reload button on your browser.

#18 User is offline   BaukjeSpirit 

• PipPip
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostGriatch, on 26 February 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

@BaukjeSpirit
You do know your horses and it's a very nice painting. Did you paint in analogue (non-computer) media before starting in GIMP? :)
Griatch

Thank you! And I never paint, I think I made 1-3 serious paintings in my life xD But I do a lot of drawing.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic