Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Batch Edit Curves - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Batch Edit Curves

#1 User is offline   kml518 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

I have been using GIMP for about a year now. I am just getting a photography business off the ground and have figured out how to do everything I need to do in GIMP EXCEPT run filters on batches of pictures. I think I could get by with just figuring out a way to batch edit curves, but I cannot even figure out how to do that. Can anyone help me out?

I am currently spending an obnoxious time editing individual photos, and I just can't do that anymore. I do NOT want to have to purchase Photoshop to get this capability, but I am getting a bit desperate... I am decent on a computer, but I don't know how to do any of the programming necessary to write my own scripts. Please tell me there is some sort of script or plug-in already written to allow me to do this... Thanks!!!

#2 User is offline   ofnuts 

• Ex-mod, now on http://www.gimp-forum.net
  • Group: Moderators
  • Locationhttp://www.gimp-forum.net

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Each time I hear about running Gimp in batch mode, my ImageMagick neuron triggers. ImageMagick is set of tools designed to run batch-mode operations on image files. See this:

http://www.imagemagi...age/color_mods/
This forum is dead. For timely answers to your Gimp questions go to

www.gimp-forum.net

#3 User is offline   alexstandiford 

• PipPip

Posted 10 May 2011 - 12:19 AM

Do you shoot in raw? GIMP has a built-in RAW editor, and will make the curves adjustments a lot better than it's jpeg counterpart. I know that's not what you asked, but if you're looking to get your photography business of the ground, I figured this may be an important tip to bring up.

#4 User is offline   paynekj 

• PipPip
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Well, having looked at the ImageMagick method of applying curves, it's understandably somewhat less than straightforward, so I've had a look at getting GIMP to read it's own saved curve files within a script.

So far I've managed to read and apply a curve file to a single image, so the next step, running it on a batch, is just a cut and paste from other batch files I've written. Work continues...

Kevin

This post has been edited by paynekj: 12 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

Kevin

#5 User is offline   paynekj 

• PipPip
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

I've attached a zip containing a script file to do a curves adjustment on a batch of files. (Apologies for the ZIP, this site won't allow me to attach the script file as is)

It requires you to have created and saved a suitable curve in GIMP (see the help for details on how to save a curves file: http://docs.gimp.org...ool-curves.html )

To run the script on my windows system I save the curves file (manic_curve in this example) in the same folder as the images:

"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-console-2.6.exe" -i -d --verbose -b "(kp24_batch_curves_from_file \"manic_curve\" 0 \".jpg\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

This will then apply the curve to ALL the .jpg files in that folder. If you want to do it to a single image, My_Image.jpg for instance:
"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-console-2.6.exe" -i -d --verbose -b  "(kp24_batch_curves_from_file \"manic_curve\" 0 \"My_Image.jpg\")" -b  "(gimp-quit 0)"

But that file name needs to be unique and not a subset of another name (For example Fred_My_Image.jpg would also be changed)

WARNING The script will over-write the existing image files - WORK ON COPIES.

If for some reason you have created a freehand curve rather than a smooth one, then you will need to change the mode value from 0 to 1 (This changes from using the spline curve data to using the explicit data):

"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-console-2.6.exe" -i -d --verbose -b  "(kp24_batch_curves_from_file \"manic_curve\" 1 \".jpg\")" -b  "(gimp-quit 0)"

Kevin

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by paynekj: 13 May 2011 - 08:55 AM

Kevin

#6 User is offline   pikesan 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

View Postpaynekj, on 13 May 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

I've attached a zip containing a script file to do a curves adjustment on a batch of files. (Apologies for the ZIP, this site won't allow me to attach the script file as is)

It requires you to have created and saved a suitable curve in GIMP (see the help for details on how to save a curves file: http://docs.gimp.org...ool-curves.html )

To run the script on my windows system I save the curves file (manic_curve in this example) in the same folder as the images:

"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-console-2.6.exe" -i -d --verbose -b "(kp24_batch_curves_from_file \"manic_curve\" 0 \".jpg\")" -b "(gimp-quit 0)"

This will then apply the curve to ALL the .jpg files in that folder. If you want to do it to a single image, My_Image.jpg for instance:
"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-console-2.6.exe" -i -d --verbose -b  "(kp24_batch_curves_from_file \"manic_curve\" 0 \"My_Image.jpg\")" -b  "(gimp-quit 0)"

But that file name needs to be unique and not a subset of another name (For example Fred_My_Image.jpg would also be changed)

WARNING The script will over-write the existing image files - WORK ON COPIES.

If for some reason you have created a freehand curve rather than a smooth one, then you will need to change the mode value from 0 to 1 (This changes from using the spline curve data to using the explicit data):

"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-console-2.6.exe" -i -d --verbose -b  "(kp24_batch_curves_from_file \"manic_curve\" 1 \".jpg\")" -b  "(gimp-quit 0)"

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
Does this file still work for you? I'm trying to figure this out and I flat stink at script writing/understanding/using. Any help is appreciated!

It looks like it loaded the first image then I got this:
batch command experienced an execution error
EXIT: gimp_exit
and so on...

#7 User is offline   pikesan 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

I got it! Have to copy the curve file to the directory with the pictures to be edited! Sweet!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic