Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Preserving IPTC info? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preserving IPTC info?

#1 User is offline   Pepto 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:26 AM

Is there any way to preserve existing IPTC data? I have quite a few images that get both EXIF and IPTC data embedded in them before uploading to the web. I went back to touch up a few of the source jpgs in gimp and discovered that even tho it preserved the EXIF data as specified in the preferences, it did wipe out all of the IPTC info.
Any way to preserve that info - I realize that gimp isn't a metadata editor but it seems like something along the lines of "do no harm" would be appropriate?
Thanks in advance for any tips!

#2 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:22 AM

Pepto,

I did an online search for the terms "Gimp IPTC data" and found one interesting result that might help you, or it might not. Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.co...ira/2435354902/

Use this information at your own risk. I make no claims that it will work for you, and neither does the author.

The hack works in his 2.4.2 version of Gimp and is almost 3 years old at this point. Whether it will work in the 2.6.x versions of Gimp I do not know. The text link shown in the above link will provide you with general instructions on how to install things properly and how to undo the install if it fails to work for you. Since I did not write the instructions, I can be of no further help with the hack. I do not use the Windows Operating System, therefore never tried this hack, and I do not know how well or even if it will work. Sorry.

Just offering this information to you from my own search results and in hopes that it might help you some.

:)

#3 User is offline   Pepto 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

Thanks for the info. After looking it over I think I'll give it a whirl and report back how it does/does not work on my windows 7 machine. I hadn't searched out on the full net, just in the forums here as I figured this would be the place to find info if it existed... It still seems that since this info is several years old we shouldn't have to be still dealing with this issue -imho....
I'll let you know what the results are.

#4 User is offline   rich2005 

• PipPip

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

Basically same as previous post, you have to save the iptc info and then restore it. A bit about it on c.g.apps.gimp that is reasonably recent.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.gra ... 293ecac6f6

#5 User is offline   Pepto 

• Pip

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

Solved - The original solution that was posted was successful for me. It did take some hacking on my own part since there is considerable differences between the XP and Win7 directory structures, but once I got the copy statements to read/write to the correct locations it was fine.
This is a solution that works only on jpegs - the original author came up with a modified jpeg routine for GIMP that calls the two exiftool copy statements as needed. The second solution that was posted (from Google Groups) was a manual version of the same solution so that the author could use it with tiffs. Otherwise they are pretty much one and the same solution and they do still work, even under Win7. As for Mac or Linux I can't say as I don't have access to those OS.
Thanks for all the help folks - you came up with a solution in no time!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic