Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Rusted Text - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rusted Text

#1 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

Ok hi everyone - this is my first tutorial. I have been working on this for quite a long time. Anything wrong with the tut that you spot, let me know and ill fix it asap. Also C&C is welcome and Ill edit the tut if some good ones come along.

Anyway this is the result we're looking to get.

Posted Image

Tutorial:

1. Here goes; create a new file. Set to 1000x480 make background white. Generally the larger the page (within reason), the better the result.

If you want the same font as I have go to http://cooltext.com/...oad-Font-Soviet and move the font to C:/Windows/Fonts once you have downloaded it (restart GIMP and start again) The one I use out of this is soviet bold expanded. If you use this font you want it at a size of roughly 370.

2. Otherwise just use any (preferably thick) font. Try to get it as large as possible. Make font black. Increase its size until it fits nicely along the left side of the page.

Posted Image

3. Right click on the text layer and click – alpha to selection, go to filters-alpha to logo-textured. Select a good texture (the default is good). As long as border size is 20 it doesn't really matter about the other settings

Posted Image

4. Delete the shadow, blend and drop shadow layers.

If your text is off centre, as it probably will be, the best thing I know to do is increase canvas size and change the x and y offsets. Make sure aspect ratio is locked, i.e. the chain should be complete beside height and width. Reposition the background layer and then crop using the crop tool.

Posted Image

5. Create a new layer on top of all the others. (Shift+Ctrl+n) Go to filters-render-clouds-plasma. Set it to 2.3 and click OK. Go to Colours-Desaturate, click OK. If you wish change the name of the layer to "Plasma" as it will make it easier to find throughout the tutorial (Thanks Oregonian!)

Posted Image

6. Now grab your fuzzy select tool. Set threshold between 12-15 with Composite, antialiasing and select transparent areas all on (also its useful to have the first of the red icons on). Begin clicking random areas on the plasma, and deleting them. You don’t want to take too much away, as the plasma will actually be the metallic part – NOT the rust. Once you’re done, click select-none.

I should say this effect is called the scott effect and its where I got my inspiration. This part is not my idea :) Google it :)

Posted Image

8. Go back to the plasma layer. Right click the layer in the layers dialogue and click alpha to selection. Go to Filters-Alpha to logo-Alien Glow make sure size is 150 and glow colour is #ff8f2b

Posted Image

10. Click on the original text layer (RUSTED) click alpha to selection. Press Ctrl+I to invert the selection and click on every layer and delete its contents (apart form the text shadow and background layers.)

11. Bring Text Shadow Layer above alien glow, and go to select-none.

Posted Image

12. Go to the top layer. Go to colours-curves and drag the curve upwards until it looks good to you.

Posted Image

14. Should be looking pretty good by now. Now it’s only the finishing touches. It should be looking good enough to leave now if you want. Anyway add a small amount of HSV noise to the top layer (filters-noise-HSV noise) my settings are: 1,0,0,12

15. Add a larger amount of noise to the alien glow and text shadow layers. (remember when selecting the text shadow layer – don’t select the mask – make sure you click on the first of the two rectangles on the layer.) this is the same process as above except this time my settings are: 2,0,0,70

16. Now bring the original text layer, found between the 2 background layers, to the top (in my case its called RUSTED) and set it’s blend mode to overlay.

That’s us done :) personally I like to flatten my image when finished (right-click any layer and click flatten image) and edit the hue/ saturation levels to make it perfect, but that’s all a matter of preference.

Finished product:

Posted Image

Hope you liked it!

#2 User is offline   fauxonym7 

• Pixel High
  • PipPip
  • Locationhere, there, doesn't matter.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

oooh, looks good! i'll take note of this.

#3 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

#4 User is offline   mikethedj4 

• mikethedj4
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationRockford, IL

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:46 AM

Very nice bro! I'm definitely trying this later.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:07 PM

Thank you mike, gald you liked it :)

#6 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

Ah also try using filters-map-bump map to the plasma near the end before you add noise - this adds an even deeper feel of texture - Ill edit the tutorial soon :)

#7 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Excellent tutorial. I went right through it and had no question marks in my head about what you might have meant. One suggestion and it's not really that important is to name the new layer, plasma, instead of the default name. It's quicker to find it that way when looking in the layers.

owenisred said:

Ah also try using filters-map-bump map to the plasma near the end before you add noise - this adds an even deeper feel of texture - Ill edit the tutorial soon
I did this too.

My results.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

Hey - thanks for trying out the tutorial! Results are lookin really good :)

One suggestion and it's not really that important is to name the new layer, plasma, instead of the default name

Ah forgot to include that - thanks for pointing it out :)

Ill just go and edit it now

Once again thanks,
Owen.

#9 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

done :)

#10 User is offline   smelleton 

• Pip

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

That's pretty cool :)
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Thanks smelleton :)

#12 User is offline   Derelicht 

• PipPip
  • LocationMifflinburg, PA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:11 AM

That's awesome! :D I never knew you could apply the scott effect to text...I thought it was just limited to selections.

[EDIT (1:13am)] I'll post mine as soon as I try it out! This is a really useful effect! :D THanks for posting the tut!
Posted Image
What is this "Normal" you speak of?

#13 User is offline   owenisred 

• PipPip

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hey Derelicht, thanks for such positive remarks! I look forward to seeing your results :)

Once again thanks for all you guys' help - really spurred me on to do other tuts :)

Thanks,
Owen.

#14 User is offline   josef 

• Pip

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Thanks for the excellent tutorial!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic