Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Can gimp open a psd file? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can gimp open a psd file?

#1 User is offline   Gimpey 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:11 AM

I got these player cuts from http://psdcentral.net/index2.html
And I saved it to my desktop, but windows can't open it. Can gimp open it or use it, and what program could open it?

Also, what do you save your files as, .jpg? And also how do you reduce the quality of a sig?

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   swmiller6 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:38 AM

Here's an Idea ? try opening it with the Gimp and see what happens......

Save them in what ever format you wish.. I perfer xcf for images I am still working on and png for the finished product....

Why would you want to reduce the quaility of a sig?????

swmiller6
Posted Image

Thats right it's a Fencepost original!!! ha ha and it's all mine..

#3 User is offline   Ali Imran 

• Owner
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:41 AM

Welcome to gimptalk.

Yes gimp opens PSD files. I am not sure about latest version of PSD fromats, but most of the templates I purchase on web easily open with gimp without any graphic loss.

And yes if you only have to convert images and have nothing to do with gimp actually then use Xnview. It is best free mage viewer and converter.

Well, while saving file as jpg, when you see a dialog as show below, here you can adjust quality, secondly by checking the checkbox on left allows you to view the quality of final image you will be saving.

Posted Image

regards

#4 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:54 AM

:o:Why you don't try ? Gimp will not explode ! ...and if you can't open a file you can almost always convert it with Xnview in something you could open!

Why you want :o: reduce the quality :o: of a sig? You need a very ugly one ? if so just save as jpg with 50% compression or less and convert again in gif or interlaced and filtered png and so on...
jpg is used for the web,for a good job always choose the proprietary format of your graphic editor (for gimp xcf)

#5 User is offline   Gimpey 

• PipPip

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:55 AM

I downloaded the file, placed it in the image folder in the gimp folder. It finishes downloads, and I get the same windos dialog. Miller can you explain what you were saying. I want the image to be opened in GIMP so I can place it on a sig or blank background.

Thanks

#6 User is offline   Ali Imran 

• Owner
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Very good suggestion by fotocomics

I suggest you download xnview from http://www.xnview.com and open your file using it, then hit the Save button and save it under different name .PSD file, it will probably rewrite image file to PSD format readable by gimp.

Or , simply save it as jpg.

regards

#7 User is offline   Gimpey 

• PipPip

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:11 AM

I only need to reduce the quality a bit to work on a website.

#8 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:14 AM

:s:

placed it in the image folder in the gimp folder. It finishes downloads,
i suppose you live in a parallel universe ...in my world to open a file you go to to menu/ file/open file ,and you do it after the file is downloaded from the net
maybe if you try to use Xnview you will do a better job

#9 User is offline   Gimpey 

• PipPip

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

I got it, thanks to everyone :h:

#10 User is offline   swmiller6 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:18 AM

Open the gimp and the folder the image is located in then grab the image with your mouse and drag it to the gimps tools section and release the mouse button... That will open the file.....
Posted Image

Thats right it's a Fencepost original!!! ha ha and it's all mine..

#11 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 19 April 2006 - 01:29 AM

:h:Now i get it!! You want a more little file size! ...again ,(now,i'm not kidding) use xnview is free is simple and a lot of gimper use it for this kind of task...

Open the file save as jpg , try different compression till you have the best result in file size and look
(If iyour file is called Pippo you can save Pippo95.jpg Pippo90.jpg ,Pippo85.jpg...number means 95% compression,
90% compression ...different numbers avoid overwriting the file at the end you choose the best)

#12 User is offline   phizzyflip 

• Pip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:36 AM

Hi, I downloaded XnView, and when I goto open it XnView tells me "error reading the file [file name]". So I tried doing what swmiller6 said: "Open the gimp and the folder the image is located in then grab the image with your mouse and drag it to the gimps tools section and release the mouse button... That will open the file.....". And Gimp says "plug-in could not open image". This is what site I got it from http://storeandserve.../download/21087 ... s.psd.html

#13 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:45 AM

That PSD file is apparently using the version 7 file format about which Adobe has failed to release information to the public. You would have to contact the creator of the file and ask that he/she provide it in a non-proprietary format (such as TIFF).
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic