Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Animated Route Along a Map - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animated Route Along a Map

#41 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

FP...........I am so em-bare-assed... I had it on the wrong thingy.... please don't yell!!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#42 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

Now it is happening again. I got as far as the #7 stroke and I get this message. I have started over and over with #7 but it still comes back to the same message
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#43 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

Can you post a screenshot of your paths dialog (not the path script). It's like the layers dialog.

#44 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

I kept getting that message so I saved what I already had then closed gimp, reopened it and tried again and it went into another path, then I got a few more letters done then it did the same thing so I shut it down again. Needless to say, this is what I ended up with, 5 paths.... I have no idea why..... :oops: :oops: :shock:

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#45 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:51 PM

You have 5 paths shown. Unnamed and Unnamed #1 appear to have multiple strokes in them and the image is too small to tell what's in the others. Can you tell me what's in all of the paths (ie what do they spell?)

#46 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

I have a feeling that I might know what I did. I did the s then stroked it. Then I did the U, then stroked it and so on. Am I supposed to wait until I get the whole word done before I do the stroke?
That is the only thing I can think of.... Its a mess huh! :roll:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#47 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:06 AM

No it's not necessary to wait until you're finished to stroke them. You just have to keep track of what's happening. It looks to me that you were creating several strokes within the main path and then, somehow, you ended up working on a new main path with individual strokes and so on. When it came time to stroke them, it confused you with what stroke you were working with in a particular path. My suggestion is that to keep things orderly is to create each individual path on a new path AND then rename them accordingly. I would even take it a step further and place the 'holes" of letters or symbols on their own individual path.

Using Silvertayl's example from the other thread, there are 13 individual paths (not sure if she separated them into single paths or left them as one main path with many strokes): one for each letter, one for the dot on the "i", one for the "hole" in the letter "e" and one for the "hole" in the letter "v".

Posted Image

So, when you get done with your first path, rename it to what it represents. If it's the first "S" and it's capitalized, I'd rename it to "1st letter S capitalized". If it's the outside of the "e", I would name it that, the "hole" of the "e", I would name it like that. You can't go wrong with organizing your work like this. Plus, it doesn't take any longer than normal. You're drawing every path anyways.

Don't know if this makes any sense, but I suggest you delete all your paths and start over. I also suggest that you keep your paths dialog open at all times to see that you're working on the right one. Remember, if you create individual paths on its own 'main' path, each stroke is considered #1. The only time you'll have a stroke number greater than 1 is if you have multiple path components in a single path.

Art

#48 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:13 AM

fencepost said:

No it's not necessary to wait until you're finished to stroke them. You just have to keep track of what's happening. It looks to me that you were creating several strokes within the main path and then, somehow, you ended up working on a new main path with individual strokes and so on. When it came time to stroke them, it confused you with what stroke you were working with in a particular path. My suggestion is that to keep things orderly is to create each individual path on a new path AND then rename them accordingly. I would even take it a step further and place the 'holes" of letters or symbols on their own individual path.

Using Silvertayl's example from the other thread, there are 13 individual paths (not sure if she separated them into single paths or left them as one main path with many strokes): one for each letter, one for the dot on the "i", one for the "hole" in the letter "e" and one for the "hole" in the letter "v".

Posted Image

So, when you get done with your first path, rename it to what it represents. If it's the first "S" and it's capitalized, I'd rename it to "1st letter S capitalized". If it's the outside of the "e", I would name it that, the "hole" of the "e", I would name it like that. You can't go wrong with organizing your work like this. Plus, it doesn't take any longer than normal. You're drawing every path anyways.

Don't know if this makes any sense, but I suggest you delete all your paths and start over. I also suggest that you keep your paths dialog open at all times to see that you're working on the right one. Remember, if you create individual paths on its own 'main' path, each stroke is considered #1. The only time you'll have a stroke number greater than 1 is if you have multiple path components in a single path.

Art

I had a seperate path for each letter and one each for the dot on the i and for the inside of the v and the e
Posted Image

#49 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:58 AM

molly said:

I have a feeling that I might know what I did. I did the s then stroked it. Then I did the U, then stroked it and so on. Am I supposed to wait until I get the whole word done before I do the stroke?
That is the only thing I can think of.... Its a mess huh! :roll:
Posted Image

I didn't see the image when I replied to you earlier. Did you intentionally split up the paths like that?

#50 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

No I didn't split them up. I got Supe done then I got that error message and it wouldn't let me do the r.
So I tried it several times and the same error. I then closed GIMP. I opened it and tried it again with the r and this time it made another path. I got rFu done and same thing happened, from then on I could only get one letter done at a time by closing GIMP down each time.....

:arrow: Do I have you really confused now.....
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#51 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:04 AM

Manly To Circular Quay Ferry Route:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:17 AM

I like that it is in two colors and the speed is perfect. What is your speed setting?

#53 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:58 PM

2-ton said:

I like that it is in two colors and the speed is perfect. What is your speed setting?

I'm not sure probably around 200 or 300 I usually try a few speeds until I'm happy and then I slow down the first and last frame even further.
Posted Image

#54 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:09 AM

What is your speed setting?

150ms :)

#55 User is offline   scottmeister 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hi Guys (and gals). I've been following this for a while and made a couple of animated maps without problem but today i can't seem to get past step 6. Every time i try to go through the animated path stroking menu i get the following
"That stroke does not exist in the selected path"
Posted Image

I've just gone back through the tutorial step by step and i've got everything right (that i can see) but no matter what i do, i get the same message.

any ideas?

#56 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for giving the tutorial a try, scottmeister! I suspect that instead of adjusting the number of animation frames, you may have set the stroke number to one that doesn't exist. I always wondered if the order of the those two parameters, with the stroke option being at the top, would create a problem. Let me know if that works.

Art

#57 User is offline   scottmeister 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Art, you were indeed correct! I think i've got it sorted now.

Thank you so much for this tutorial - i was about to go employ the skills of a friend to try and do this.

Would you happen to know of a way to have a flashing point on an animated map? sort of like a half way point.
Posted Image

(Mods - apologies for the massive image... it just wont resize properly)

#58 User is offline   RedTulip 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

This is a great tutorial! I did a Three-Route animated map.

Posted Image

#59 User is offline   Mrmaddbrad 

• Pip

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

sooo... i took this same idea and tried to animate a signature like this. I just took the already made text and went over it just like it was a path. It works fine. But i can't figure out how to change it into a .jpeg or anything else that an image hosting site will take. Some help please?

#60 User is offline   Dawna 

• PipPip
  • LocationBoston, Massachusetts, US

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:25 PM

Thanks. Everything is perfectly clear now.

Dawna

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic