Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Animated Route Along a Map - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Animated Route Along a Map

#1 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

This tutorial will show you how to create an animated route along a map. Here's the final image...

Posted Image

While these steps will only show how to add a single route to a map, you can add as many routes as you would like and even instruct the script to start on any layer or have any number of frames.

I'm using GIMP 2.6.6 for the tutorial. You will need the following script installed to complete the tutorial ->Animated Path Stroking Script Suite. The script zip file was updated today (December 26, 2013) to include brushes from GIMP 2.6. GIMP 2.8 no longer uses them, but in order to run the script effectively without having to modify the script itself, please add the brushes to your GIMP brushes folder here: C:/Program Files/GIMP-2.0/share/gimp2.0/brushes There have been no changes to the script, so if you have the previous version, there is no need to install it.

It's probably a good idea to have the animation settings script installed on your computer so you can quickly adjust the timing of the layers. That script can be download here-> saulgoode's animation settings script

Let's begin.

Step 1

Open up your desired map in GIMP. I'm using one from Google that's near my house in Central Florida and I'll show you how to get to Disney World.

Posted Image

Step 2

Create a duplicate of the map so you have two layers. Here's a screenshot of the layer dialog window....

Posted Image

Step 3

Grab your path tool Posted Image and start creating your path on the image. Here's what my path looks like. I started near the green dot and finished at the red dot. The path will be painted in the direction you draw it.

Posted Image

Step 4

With your path now drawn, make your top layer active by clicking on it in the layer dialog window...(It's highlighted in blue in my screenshot.) This is the layer we will start drawing on. The bottom layer will be left untouched.

Posted Image

Step 5

Choose the brush you want to paint with. I chose the Circle Fuzzy (07) and set the spacing to 1.0

Posted Image

Step 6

Click on the Paths Tab in GIMP and it will show the path dialog window and all of the paths you have for that image. Right now, we should only have one. Right-click on that path and choose Animated Path Stroking.

Posted Image

Here's the settings I picked...

Posted Image

Click OK and script will do the rest and your animation should look something like so:

Posted Image

Step 7

If you want to alter the speed of the layers, make sure you installed the Animation Settings script I recommended at the beginning of the tutorial and go to Filters > Animation > Settings... Under delay you set the timing. The larger the number the longer the delay. I picked 100 and set the mode to Replace. I then added a longer delay (1.5 seconds or 1500 ms) to my first and last frames. To do that, I double-clicked on the layer name changed the timing number to (1500ms), and then hit the <Enter> key. Make sure you hit the <Enter> key so that GIMP will know to make the changes.

That's it! Give it a shot and see what you come up with. Try adding more routes to the map, changing brush size, colors, and altering the number of frames they are drawn over. Don't be afraid to experiment with the settings. Undo is your friend!

Cheers!

Art

This post has been edited by fencepost: 29 January 2014 - 01:45 AM

#2 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

Here's a 3-route version. Notice how they start at different times....

Posted Image

This post has been edited by fencepost: 29 January 2014 - 01:46 AM

#3 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

Wow I can't wait to try this..... Are those image's supposed to open? Woo Hoo its off to Disney I go....

thanks FP.....
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#4 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:21 PM

My first animated path. The next one I would like to slow the whole path down, not just at the beginning but can't find how to do that.
This is my home town and we can take a ferry over to Wolfe Island and drive the whole width of it then cross over in another ferry to NY State to a small town called Cape Vincent NY....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#5 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

All roads lead to Disney World.

You've done it again Art, I'm gonna try ASAP.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

I tried it, and it seemed to work fine, but at the end, all I end up with is a pic with a red line. I can play it only if I go to filters-animation-playback, and it plays fine. But I tried saving as gif animation, re-opening it, and it doesn't animate, it's just a red line. What have I missed or done wrong?

#7 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

2-ton. What did you open it with?
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#8 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

Nice work, Molly! You did a great job. As far as adjusting the timing, re-read Step 7 where I provide the details.

2-ton: Animations can only be played within GIMP by going to Filters > Animation > Playback... As far as why it saved as a non-animated image, make sure you choose Save as Animation when this dialog window appears:

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

I did that FP but that just delays the beginning and end. I wanted to slow the whole thing down. I put it at 1500 on the first and top layer but all the other layers are still fast. grrrrrrrrr
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#10 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:37 AM

No, first run the script to set the desired timing for all the layers, say 100 or 150. Then, manually go and change the first and last if you want a pause.

#11 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:05 AM

A route from the South Head to North Head of Sydney Harbour via the harbour tunnel:

Posted Image

This was not my prefered map (Balmain is spelt incorrectly with an e instead of an a) but it was the only map I could get to open up in Gimp Portable. I tried to save some Google maps such as Art and Molly used to my pictures but had no success, when I tried to open them in Gimp I kept getting an error message that Gimp didn't recognise the extention or something similar.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 03:20 AM

Good work, Silvertayl! I just made a screenshot of the Google map (the prt scr key) and then pasted it into GIMP. Then worked from that.

#13 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:47 AM

Thanks Art, problem solved.

Manly to Palm Beach the scenic route, the Northern beaches of Sydney

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:24 AM

Very good silvertayl

Her is my first 4 routes map . I did it over and optimized it the way "O" mentioned. Thanx "O".....
1. Thunderbay to Ottawa
2. Sault Ste Marie to Ottawa
3. Timmins to Montreal
4. Racine Wisconsin to North Bay

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#15 User is offline   Silvertayl 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

molly said:

Very good silvertayl

Thanks Molly. I should have made it a little faster so It doesn't jerk as much.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

Lookin' good! Molly, did you figure out the timing script?

#17 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:34 AM

Thanx FP... Yes I got it figured out, I think!!!!
I did it over and optimized it so now I think it is okay, I changed the one above........ Geeze, I went from over 16 MB's to less than 1 MB...... What a friggin difference.
Now I want to to tinker bell....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#18 User is offline   molly 

• PipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:41 AM

Silvertayl said:

molly said:

Very good silvertayl

Thanks Molly. I should have made it a little faster so It doesn't jerk as much.

@silvertayl. I like them better when they are slower. At least that way you can follow the rte.
Posted Image
Posted Image Click Me!

#19 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

molly said:

Thanx FP... Yes I got it figured out, I think!!!!
I did it over and optimized it so now I think it is okay, I changed the one above........ Geeze, I went from over 16 MB's to less than 1 MB...... What a friggin difference.
Now I want to to tinker bell....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad you got it. Now, it's time to do a tinkerbell. Just download an image from the web, trace the paths, and use the same steps as listed in this tutorial.

#20 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

Oops, yes I used gimp to open it. Duh, I deleted the file thinking it didn't work. :roll: I should have used my pictures to check it.

*edit...lol, yeah I had done it right all along and didn't know it.
This is part of the path my dh takes for his daily walk to the park with the dogs. The blue oval behind the barn is the pond. The scruffy looking part at the bottom is part of the park. I should have adjusted the timing, but since this is just a sample, I didn't bother.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic