Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Missing "tool options dialog box" in startup window? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Missing "tool options dialog box" in startup window?

#1 User is offline   w1mark 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

I've been using gimp for a while, and it's been very helpful for creating/editing pictures. But one day, I must of dropped my keyboard or something and the "tool options" diaglog box disappeared from the main dialog box that you get when you start to run gimp without me knowing how I did it. It's been really annoying without having it because instead of being able to pick a tool like the pencil, then changing the brush and color, I have to do them separately in differnt windows.

I know this is quite confusing to understand, so I made a screenshot(then edited it) to show you basically what my problem is in the link below:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... ptions.png

I guess I could try just reinstalling gimp, but is there a quicker way of fixing this? I've tried looking through preferences and seeing if I could add it again, but nothing seems to work.

I know I could of just reinstalled GIMP again before I can get a response from someone, but hey, im stubborn and who says this thing won't happen again?

#2 User is offline   jolie 

• Retired staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:22 AM

Don't reinstall it won't help.

there was a thread about this recently, I'll see if I can find it.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:03 AM

did you already try to drop a dialog there ?

More then drop the dialog has to be aligned with a lot of accuracy to that line in the toolbox just under the tools and then be moved in

Another thing you may try ,without unistalling is just remove (or even move somewhere else)the gimp folder in Users/yourname (or for XP Documents and Settings /yourname )
And then start gimp

#4 User is offline   greentunic 

• GT Moderator
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:29 AM

w1mark said:

I know this is quite confusing to understand, so I made a screenshot(then edited it) to show you basically what my problem is in the link below:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p136 ... ptions.png
Actually, its not confusing to understand because many people have had the same "problem" before, and the solution is actually quite simple. :)

As Photocomix suggested, you just need to drag-and-drop the Tool Options dialog box (go to Windows>Dockable Dialogs>Tool Options if you don't still have it open) onto that area that says "You can drop dockable dialogs here." The "tricky" part, however, is discovering which spot on the Tool Options dialog box you need to click on in order to drag-and-drop it. You need to click on the part at the top where it says the name of your active tool. The cursor should change from an arrow to a hand when you hover over the right spot.

#5 User is offline   w1mark 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:14 AM

Haha! Thanks. :o I wondered how you dragged and dropped it into the main toolbox. It is not very self explainatory. I always thought it had to do with that little box with a triangle in it on the dialoges, but it's actually the entire outer box thats around it. It's just one of those things that you either learn from the start or never figure out.

Adding the layers dialog to it can also be handy, but it can be a little cluttered as well. Although you can make tabs, its pretty much the same as switching to a new window.

#6 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:02 PM

if you had the little box with the triangle in the toolbox would be simpler..but i saw was not there

Adding the layers dialog to it can also be handy, but it can be a little cluttered as well. Although you can make tabs, its pretty much the same as switching to a new window.

i prefer have the toolbox with under the tab for layer, the active tool, path and channel...i don't feel much cluttered

If i need more dialogs i create also a dock with all the tabs i may need

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic