Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Selecting Multiple Layers - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Selecting Multiple Layers

#1 User is offline   Abe 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

Hi everybody,

I want to use gimp to replace my usage of photoshop.

The first document I opened has 524 layers of which many I need to delete.

Does the feature of multiple layer selection exist?

If not would anyone elses workflow benefit from this feature?

Do you have any idea how one would go about adding this functionality In a way which made it intuitive to use with the rest of the software?

In terms of usabilty I think holding down ctrl or shift would be nice.

Would you recomend trying to build a plugin or do you think it would be better to try and modify the core program?

Thanks
Abe

#2 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:27 AM

Abe,

Hi. There is a script written for removing multiple layers (in a sequence) from a Gimp image. If you have the script package from:

http://gimpfx-foundry.sourceforge.net/

It will allow you to delete a sequence of layers right next to one another. However, say you wanted to delete every other layer or every fourth layer from an image, then that script would not help.

Other than that, you might want to check out:

http://registry.gimp.org

Search for the term "layers" there to see if anyone else has written any other scripts for removing multiple layers from a Gimp image. I know there is a script that allows one to group layers in Gimp. Wondering out loud, but not sure, if it would allow one to delete all layers in the group at one go. Anyhow, you will find the layers grouping script at the above link, I don't know much about it and it's capabilities.

Hope this information can be of some help to you.

:)

#3 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:37 AM

This http://registry.gimp.org/node/16563 is a bit complex to set up and you will need to read all the instruction, just try to run it may be delusive

Is a overkill if you just need to delete ,it is the most advanced and complete at the moment if you need also to group

PS I see only now CCbarr already quoted it, yes it allows also to delete
Anyway if you only need to delete the other link provided by CCbarr may be more indicate

#4 User is offline   Colston 

• Pip

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

This is a new improvement that will make selecting multiple layers a whole lot easier. Simply hold down the Shift Key and click on a layer in the layers palette, then while you continue holding the Shift Key just click on another layer.

#5 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

The easiest way to delete multiple layers is to hide all the layers you wish to keep, then do a Merge Visible Layers and delete the resulting layer.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic