Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: How to Create Inset Typography in Gimp - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Create Inset Typography in Gimp

#1 User is offline   FSX 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

I found a tutorial for this effect on Sixrevisions for Photoshop. And since it was a beginners level tutorial -- it wouldn't be too hard to "port" it to Gimp.

So the credits go to the guy who wrote the tutorial on Sixrevisions.

I've also posted this tutorial on my weblog.

Notes:

[*:wgr8wk1d]I'm using the development version of Gimp (2.7) so some things can look a bit different.
    [*:wgr8wk1d]Select > Invert means that you have to go the the Select menu and click Invert.
    [*:wgr8wk1d]Original tutorial: How to Create Inset Typography in Photoshop.

Step 1

Make a new image and draw a linear gradient (color codes: #016edf, #024f80).

Posted Image
(Click for larger version)

Step 2

Make a new text layer and put this in the center of the canvas. It's best to use a big or bold font.

Then make three new layers called: 'Text highlight', 'Text inner-shadow' and 'Text background'.

Posted Image

Step 3

Now select the text layer and do Text to selection. Then select the Text background layer and fill the background with a gradient, a darker one than the background.

Don't delete/undo the selection. We need it for the next step. :)

Posted Image

Step 4

Select Text highlight, make the selection one pixel smaller (with Select > Shrink) and invert the selection with Ctrl+i or Select > Invert. Now fill the Text highlight layer with a white color. After you've done that you invert the selection again, make it one pixel bigger (with Select > Grow), invert the selection again and press delete or Edit > Clear.

You can clear the selection with Select > None or Ctrl+Shift+A.

You'll get something like you see in the following image. We don't use Select > Border, because it won't look that good.

Posted Image

Step 5

Select the text layer again and do Text to selection. Now select the Text inner-shadow layer, make the selection two pixels
smaller, invert it and fill it with a black color.

Now invert the selection again, make it 2 pixels bigger, invert it again and press delete or Edit > Clear. You should have a black border now that's behind the white border.

Posted Image

Invert the selection again (yes... again...), open the Gaussian Blur dialog (Filters > Blur > Gaussian Blur) and apply the settings you see in the following image.

Posted Image

You can clear the selection now.

Step 6

Select the Text highlight layer and apply Gaussian Blur on it with the blur radius set to one. Then move the layer below the Text background layer and move it one pixel the the right and one pixel to the bottom.

Posted Image

Select the Text inner-shadow layer and move it one pixel the the right and one pixel to the bottom.

Now select the text layer again and do Text to selection, select the the Text inner-shadow layer again, invert the selection and press delete or Edit > Clear.

Posted Image

Step 7

Now we have to fine-tune it to make it look good. You can copy some layer, adjust the opacity settings, add some highlights or patterns (hint: layer masks are useful for this).

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

That really looks nice. It looks like the text is pushed down into the background. Nice tutorial.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   inspectra 

• generally inactive
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:48 AM

Really cool effect here, looks like the text used in Adobe software icons. Thanks for the tutorial. =)

#4 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:26 AM

Here's my attempt at it. I didn't know quite what to do in Step 7. Lowering the opacity of the highlight and inner shadow just a little seemed to make it look better. I did a texture overlay over the background.

LOL, there's a lot of selection inversions going on in there but they do the job!

One thing, I didn't know I had to hide the text layer and I couldn't see any of the effects until it dawned on me to do that. No prob, I got there. :mrgreen:

This would be a nice Halloween effect for spooky tombstones.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Jeremifier 

• Minecrafter!
  • PipPip
  • LocationMy mind.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Nice tutorial. Makes a good result, so... popularity bump.

This post has been edited by Jeremifier: 06 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'm feeling EBAL today...! ಠ‿ಠ

Posted Image

Awesome. Tiny text.

#6 User is offline   wbool63 

• PipPip
  • LocationAus, The Land Down Under

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

FSX , this is a nice tutorial. Thank You. The actual finishing to make it look convincing is the hardest part. As you said use duplicated layers, layermask and different layer modes to achieve the inset look. It is very difficult to make a difference between a raised letter and an Incised / intaglio letter. It seems to change depending on what angle you view it from.

There are two episodes of MeettheGimp that explain in more detail how to get this incised effect.
MeetTheGimp Episode 96 "Carved in Stone" and Episode 99 "Gimp goes Acrylic" , both done by Philppe deMartin.

Here is my attempt

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers Wbool63

#7 User is offline   Solartide 

• PipPip

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:43 AM

This is nice.

I actually did away with the text background layer completely, lowered inner shadow opacity to 40, and highlight to 30. Then I added my own outer black shadow thingie moved up and left one pixel. Felt like that gave it more depth.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic