Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: importing .abr 7 into gimp? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

importing .abr 7 into gimp?

#1 User is offline   voxmortem 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:59 AM

hey,
I was trying to import some brushes from PS to Gimp but apparently abr files newer than version 6 won't load. Is there anyway to convert them? I know there's abr to gbr converting tool but I don't need another bunch of gbr files in my overgrown brush collection. I think Gimp 2.7 can import or will be able to import those files tho I'm not into using unstable realese.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Best regards,
vox

#2 User is offline   jolie 

• Retired staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

I have no problem with abr files for photoshop 7 and up. Maybe it were just the brushes you were trying to import, that there was something wrong with the file.

Stupid questions to troubleshoot and you probably already thought of them. But did you refresh the brushes? And restart gimp, and make sure you didn't accidentally put them in the wrong folder?
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   voxmortem 

• PipPip

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

Well it's not what I was asking about.. abr 6 and less seem to be file formats for PS CS3 and lower versions while abr 7 is the newest one.. I'm not certain what is it, but even PS user don't seem to get how does that work:

For previous version up to photoshop CS, adobe has released a specification of its files formats, including the brush preset format.
Were can I get the specifications for CS3 & CS4 file formats? I need them so that I am able to import the newer versions (7) of abr brush preset files into my application.

I found that on Adobe forums but without any answers.

#4 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:30 AM

yes 7 from abr 7 is not related with PS 7 ,instead is the kind of abr introduced in PS CS3.

Problem is that is not even a simple type so some ABR 7 may be read by gimp other not, and i do not think that the script may help

Only way i may imagine to use not compatible ABR will require the use (at least temporary)of PS CS3 to open them and save a copy in a backward compatible format ( abr 7 are not even usable from older version of PS, but they may converted to be backward compatible...converted with PS CS3 or CS4)

Then there are literally millions of brush created for Gimp and other millions of compatible ABR brush..personally.i will not lose time to search to convert them

#5 User is offline   voxmortem 

• PipPip

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:09 AM

thanks, i'll download PS trial and check converting. Thing is those brushes are from certain artist I'd love to study more- having his brush set that he shared on dA would help me getting grasp on how he works. I personally rarely use custom brushes- they're only useful for adding texture and creating some shapes but some extra uses would be great to learn :)

#6 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Have you tried ABR viewer for the new type? If it works, you can't export PNG with transparency and save the brush either as a gbr or gih brush. :)

http://sourceforge.n...ects/abrviewer/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic