Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Making outline thicker - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making outline thicker

#1 User is offline   bbiebelberg 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

As you can see in this picture, the outline is very thin. Is there a way I can enlarge it by a few pixels in GIMP?

Posted Image

(The image is transparent)

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   ggdancer 

• PipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:16 AM

easy.
Set the forground color to the color of the outline using the color picker.
Then use the fuzzy select tool to select the space around the dog.
Invert the selection and then use edit/stroke selection set the line width to 2 px (or whatever you want) .
hit stroke.

that should do it.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   bbiebelberg 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:34 AM

That worked well for just the outer part of the bulldog. Is there a way to do it for all of the lines (not just the outside)?

#4 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

I did a color pick, chose the paintbrush circle (01), right-clicked the bulldog layer and chose alpha to selection.

Chose the paths tab, Selection to Path and unselected.

Back to the layers tab. New transparent layer.

Back to the paths tab. Clicked the paint along the path button, chose stroke with a paint tool. Merged the layers.

It looked pretty good. If you want thicker lines, scale the paintbrush size but not very much

Posted Image.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   bbiebelberg 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:59 AM

That looks great! Thank you oregonian, and thank you ggdancer for the hint :)

#6 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

"Filters->Distorts->Value Propagate" with the "more opaque" option is worth a try.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#7 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

saulgoode said:

"Filters->Distorts->Value Propagate" with the "more opaque" option is worth a try.

I tried your way, saulgoode, and I couldn't get it to add the main brown color. It put a separate row of gray semitransparent pixels around the lines and there wasn't any very good antialiasing.

It would be a very cool thing if the gray pixels were less regular in color and the script picked up the bg or fg color to do its work. The transparency can be locked and the image filled with the main color but the image isn't really very sharp.

Hopefully someone will come along and make it a better script because there are good possibilities there.

I see my render has a dot of paint below the back foot. I thought it was a speck on my screen.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Oregonian said:

I tried your way, saulgoode, and I couldn't get it to add the main brown color. It put a separate row of gray semitransparent pixels around the lines and there wasn't any very good antialiasing.

The gray color is actually the color of your transparent pixels. If you were to fill those transparent pixels with your orange pen color, the semi-transparent pixels around the lines would be a shade of orange. They aren't anti-aliased for your drawing (because your drawing isn't anti-aliased) and it does indeed look rather artificial.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#9 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:12 PM

One of my main dislikes about doing it the way I did is that when I stroked the selection, the brush makes round curves around sharp corners so there is a small area not filled by the brush. Those small areas could be filled in with a small brush, but it's annoying. There are several places on the bulldog that have them.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   RobA 

• PipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

Oregonian said:

One of my main dislikes about doing it the way I did is that when I stroked the selection, the brush makes round curves around sharp corners so there is a small area not filled by the brush. Those small areas could be filled in with a small brush, but it's annoying. There are several places on the bulldog that have them.

Posted Image

If you shift-click selection-to-path you will get the really scary dialog that lets you specify how the selection is turned into a path, and you can adjust things like this to specify what is a hard corner versus a smooth curve, etc. Good luck, as it takes some playing around, though!

-Rob A>
Posted Image
Fantasy Cartography and Mapping by RobA

#11 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

RobA said:

If you shift-click selection-to-path you will get the really scary dialog that lets you specify how the selection is turned into a path, and you can adjust things like this to specify what is a hard corner versus a smooth curve, etc. Good luck, as it takes some playing around, though!

-Rob A>

Yikes! That's utterly terrifying, RobA, but it looks like fun to play with. :mrgreen:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Groade 

• Pip

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:14 AM

ggdancer said:

easy.
Set the forground color to the color of the outline using the color picker.
Then use the fuzzy select tool to select the space around the dog.
Invert the selection and then use edit/stroke selection set the line width to 2 px (or whatever you want) .
hit stroke.

that should do it.

I just wanted to say thank you very much for this information. Darkening the outline (not the inner lines) was exactly what I needed to do.

I had no idea it was so easy!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic