Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Ways Of The Text - A Text Tutorial (Updated) 05/06/10 - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ways Of The Text - A Text Tutorial (Updated) 05/06/10

#1 User is offline   Sprinkles 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:16 AM

Ways of the Text

The text is vengeful, for a long time we have mocked the text and now its exacting ITS REVENGE! In the way of putting it into a sig, :x. I will be teaching you some cool and popular ways on how to implement nice text. This is mainly for beginners struggling with their text, but if you don't consider yourself a beginner you might still learn something. Let's begin.

Resources:
Tiny Text Brush: http://ennife.deviantart.com/art/36-MOR ... 03-9345732
Tech Brush: http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=reso ... ch+brushes

Result after the tutorial until part five:
Posted Image

Updates:
Added vector text to the tutorial - April 14th, 2009
Added text spacing to the tutorial - June 4th, 2010
Cleaned up tutorial, added table of contents, tip section, and fixed grammar - June 5th, 2010

Posted Image

Way of the text part one: Glossy
Using glossy text correctly can be almost guaranteed to add interest to your current tag.

Example:
Posted Image

Step one: Create your sig, I will use the one below as my example.
Posted Image

Step two: Type your text out, I used the words "Pray". I made two separate text layers for "Pray". One was the "P" and one the "ray" I wanted the P to stand out more so using the same font I made the P a bigger size and the ray smaller. I used the font called "OptimusPrinceps Medium" at size 30, any font will do though. For the Ray I used the same font but at size 19, I typed them in white. So remember I made the P and the ray separate, since I want one to stand out more then the other, if you want them to look the same then make them one text layer. Position the two layers so they are beside each other and don't look unnatural.
Posted Image

Step three: I will start the effect with the letter that I wanted to stand out more. Right click the text layer layer and click Alpha>Selection. Set your FG color to a nice light color that matches your render. My render had gold so I made my FG a light gold. Then make your BG color a lot darker, so I made it a darker gold. Just for tutorial reasons the two colors I chose were: Light: e4be87 and Dark: 947b57
Posted Image

Step four: I then went to the gradient tool, make sure it is set to FG>BG. You can set the gradient type to either Radial or Linear, I used Radial. I will show you a side-by-side different after. Zoom in the text to about 400% and click and drag the gradient from the top of the text to the bottom. Zoom out and it should look as follows:
Posted Image

Step five: Looking freakin' awesome eh? Remember what I said about linear? Well let's try it now. Sometimes radial is better sometimes linear is, it all depends on the colors and the sig. So I recommend trying both and picking which one looks better out of the two. So let's show a side-by-side now, the left "P" is the linear and the right "P" is radial.
Posted Image

Step six: Meh, I didn't really notice much of a difference but sometimes it makes a difference, so remember to choose which looks best. I ended up using radial. Looks pretty nice but the "Ray" part is looking very basic, I did the same effect I did on the "P". I did an alpha to selection but instead I did my favorite glossy text look, The white-gray. I did this in the Visualize banner competition and I just love it. So go to alpha to selection and make sure the FG is white then make the BG a gray. I used bdbdbd for the gray if you want to know. Click the gradient tool and make sure it's linear, it looks better as linear. Zoom in 400% like last time which is View>Zoom>400%, then click and drag the gradient from the top of the text to the bottom and zoom out to normal, nice!
Posted Image

Way of the text part two: Sub-text.
Sub-text is a great way to add that little bit of oomph while taking up some of that empty space; if used correctly it can look great.

Example:
Posted Image

Step one: So our text is looking great so far, maybe you want more to it. Sub-text maybe? One way is to make a new text layer then type your text very small and lower the opacity so it is almost unreadable. But since the invention of the text brush this is now obsolete. I posted the ones I used in the resources so it's a good idea to download those now. So start off by making a new transparent layer then look at the text brushes and pick the one you like the best and brush it once under your main text. No need to lower opacity it's unreadable already. Choose the color you want for the brush, for mine I I used the gold from my render; use what you want. I would recommend either white, a color from your render, black or any of those colors set on different layer mode such as Overlay. Also if your sub-text stands out too much you can lower the layer's opacity. Maybe you want the sub-text to be glossy, if so do the steps we did in the first part. There's a lot you can do with this.
Posted Image

Step two: (Optional) Another thing you could add to the sub-text is a 1 PX line on the side. Some people talk about a 1 PX line brush but I don't have one, T_T. So what I do first is make a new transparent layer. And on the side of the text using the path tool make a straight line, not too big, not to small just the right size. Making sure the FG was set to white I did Edit>Stroke path with line width set at 1. You can then either lower the layer's opacity, or again give it that glossy look we have been talking about or even set the layer mode to overlay. I'm pretty sure in the example I just kept it at white and lowered the opacity a bit. (50%-80%?)
Posted Image

Way of the text part three: Clipping mask.

Example:
Posted Image

A clipping mask is another good technique and can be used for specific looks. Let's get started.

Step one: So you have your Glossy text and sub-text and maybe the 1px line. Want more to it? Well let's add the clipping mask. First do a Edit>Copy Visible but don't paste as a new layer. Next make a new layer and then using the rectangle select tool click and drag on the sig and make it as big as you want, since the sub text is already at the bottom I made my rectangle vertical.
Posted Image

Now I went edit>paste into, so that pasted the current sig into the rectangle. Move it around until you like it. I moved it until the render was in it, and since my text was Pray I moved it to the cross he was holding. Usually I put the render's face, one eye, mouth or a detailed part of the background; all up to you. Finally press CTRL+H to anchor it. My result:
Posted Image

Looks like you got pretty sexy text now. Let's say you don't like the sub-text, instead of the rectangle clipping mask being on the side put it at the bottom where the sub-text was. All up to you really; there is one more part and then we're done.

Way of the text part four: Glow

Example:
Posted Image

There is many ways to do glow but I will share my way and it's very easy.

Step one: I will only apply this to the main text but if you want you can apply it to the sub-text, I didn't. So go to your main text which in my case is "Pray". Merge the two main text layers if you haven't already, so for me I merged the P and the ray together. Also right click on the main text layer (merged) and click "Layer to Image Size" if you don't the glow will get cut off, if that option is grayed out then good. So next, duplicate the main text layer twice so there is three layers. On the first duplicated layer, go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set it to 20. On the top duplicate do the same but set it to 35. I hid the clipping mask layer so you can see the glow better.
Posted Image

So that's basically it to glow, you can try your own Gaussian blur settings and maybe even more duplicate layers, just play around with it until you get a look you like. I have one more way of the text, it's not detailed just some extra info.

Way of the text part five: Tech Brushes

Example: None

Another cool effect to do is add brushes that fit the theme but also complement the text, one way to do so is add a tech brush. Saviorking posted a link for some, so thank you for that. I wont post a result but just use it yourself and see. You can try looking for different text brushes; don't make it too messy though.

Link for Tech Brushes: http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=reso ... ch+brushes

Way of the text part six: Vector

Example:
Posted Image

When making a vector sig it is nice to have text that matches the vector style, here are some ways to do just that.

Step one: Get the sig ready that you're going to use; the one below is the sig I will be using. I know it isn't the greatest of signatures but this is a tutorial on text.

Posted Image

Step two: Type your text out and make it as simple as possible. A good idea is to use two words with the same letter so you can type one big letter and then type two words beside it. Try to use a color from the render, mine's a very bad example but with yours it should look good. Try to make the big letter a different color from the rest.

Posted Image

Step three:
This is used a lot in vector sigs. Go to the layer with the big letter in my case it's "S" then duplicate it, Edit>Duplicate. Right click the new duplicated layer and hit "Alpha-To-Selection" then using the bucket fill it with the color you used for your normal text. In my case "exy" and "uper". Now move it over to the left or right, I moved mine left. Then place it under the main "S" layer and keep moving it until you get the desired look.

Posted Image

Step four: You can repeat step three and even use another color from your render; but since mine is so plain it won't work. As such, you could also give that glossy effect to the text like we did in the beginning, It's all up to you. Here is what it looks like when It's glossy.

Posted Image

Step five: It's looking pretty nice, but more can be added to it. I bet there is an easier way to do this, but I don't know of it. First make a new layer, then using the path tool we are going to create lines surrounding it, look at the picture below if you're not understanding. Anyways, using the path tool, click at the top of the sig, then click again close to the text, and line it up straight for a perfect line. Next, holding Ctrl click at where you first clicked the path, that will end the path. Next, making sure your FG color is a color from your render, go edit>stroke path. I wanted mine thick, so I put Line Width at seven, depending on the way you want it, adjust the line width. Now what you can do is duplicate this layer plenty of times and line it up with your text.

Posted Image

Step six: Get creative! Add any crazy thing. One thing I did was add a clipping mask; this time not with the rectangle but with a circle! First make a new layer doing the same step's as the clipping mask part above, but this time with the Elipse Select Tool. So do a "Edit>Copy Visible" but don't paste as a new layer. So now make the circle with the Elipse tool by clicking the sig and dragging. A good place to put it is over the line's we made in step five, and under the text. So make the Elipse selection and then go "Edit>Paste Into" and move it around until It's on a part of your render, hit CTRL+H to anchor it. I apologize for the bad example; it is my horrid signature.

Posted Image

Step seven: Be creative! I added a rectangle clipping mask with the render in it. I then added an Elipse circle, filled it with a color from my render and added text! You could even do the steps we did before, and put it inside the circle! Maybe even add smaller lines to fit, just mess around with it until you get get a nice look :). It probably looks bad 'cause It's rushed, but take your time; make it look cool! Also I just noticed I switched the text around, don't do that! :P. This was slightly rushed, that's all.

Posted Image

Thank you for reading the vector section, I will add on to this section because there is so much you can do. Keep updated!

Way of the text part seven: Text Spacing

Example:
Posted Image

Text spacing is a cool little trick you can do and some people utilize it well. There is a lot of ways to do it and to any of you out there who go through pressing space a hundred times, there is an easier way. I expect a lot of people to know this already but hey, it can't hurt. This is a really short section just so you know.

Step one: Get your sig ready and type in your text. Unfortunately the sig gnomes stole all of my xcf files (I hate you recycling bin). This is one of my current sigs I made, take the time in yours to make it look good and fit.

Posted Image

Step two: Select your text, Go to text options, and adjust the circled option.

Posted Image

Step three: This adjusts the spacing between the letters of the text. You can play along with the settings to your liking. I used a setting of 5 for my example.
Posted Image

Well folks, that's the end of this section; I know it was extremely short. Next section is coming up soon!

Text Tips:

Try to keep your text close to your focal point.
Don't make your text too distracting to the point that it takes away from your tag
Text is meant to help add to your tag not to throw in for no reason.
Remember to not make the text effects messy, make it clean and effective
Keep in mind the theme of your tag, if It's a spring theme don't use tech brushes.

Thank you so much for reading my tutorial,I really hope you learned something today. Oy vey, my neck is killing me now. Longest tutorial I have ever done. Have a great day everyone, I hope your text is better now!
NEW NATION

#2 User is offline   inspectra 

• generally inactive
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

Sweet man, GT can never get enough text theory tuts. Great work :).

#3 User is offline   Sprinkles 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thank you for the reply :). Your tutorial was amazing, btw. I noticed a lot of people were struggling with text, so I decided to make a tutorial on some cool text, :). I think I seriously did a number on my neck, it's like in serious pain, XD.
NEW NATION

#4 User is offline   Radian 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:58 AM

awesome this'll help me a ton.

Thanks! ^.^
Sweetness from Sprinkles:
Posted Image
Favourite:
Posted Image
^Mosaic Box & Pentooling Wraps Made Easy^

#5 User is offline   Zenma 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationHilo, Hawaii

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

Good tut. I wish I had this around when I started out :)
YW&F

#6 User is offline   SilentGIMP 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

I thought this text tutorial would explain how to make text bigger

I have no clue how to? its caused me problems when making art....

good tutorial.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Release The Light.....

#7 User is offline   inspectra 

• generally inactive
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

How to make text bigger?

1. Click on the text tool.
2. Where it says "size" and a number, make the number bigger.

:)

#8 User is offline   SilentGIMP 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

....its not their....thats my problem no way to make it bigger I cant seem to make it bigger

im on windows xp with version 2.6.6
Posted Image
Posted Image

Release The Light.....

#9 User is offline   inspectra 

• generally inactive
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Yep, the same as me.
Posted Image
See where that circle is? That's the current size. Click on where the arrow is pointing to change it.
If you don't see that at all, in Gimp, go Windows-->Dockable Dialogs-->Tool Options.

:)

#10 User is offline   blackrosedying 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

OMGILOVEYOUSPRINKLESSSS! *hugs Sprinkles*

I was spending my whole day two days ago searching for a text tutorial -_-

NICE! I'll look over it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Posted Image

"Take this sinking boat and point it home,
We've still got time.
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice,
You've made it now."

#11 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:17 PM

This is a great idea, to make a tutorial on a specific process!!! Definitely worth bookmarking!!!!

#12 User is offline   Sprinkles 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! :D. Just wondering though, did Gimptalk go down or something? I couldn't get on the site for a while.
NEW NATION

#13 User is offline   blackrosedying 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

Sprinkles said:

Just wondering though, did Gimptalk go down or something? I couldn't get on the site for a while.

It was probably because of all the spam.
Posted Image

"Take this sinking boat and point it home,
We've still got time.
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice,
You've made it now."

#14 User is offline   Maelstrom 

• PipPip
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

the clipping mask portion was way easy and cool!
thank you!
Posted Image
You got your rules and your religion, all designed to keep you safe. But when rules start getting broken, you start questioning your faith! - Rev Theory

#15 User is offline   Sprinkles 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Np, :). And to anyone who is interested, I will keep this updated and post new way's to do text, I have one in mind atm will edit it later.
NEW NATION

#16 User is offline   InwardHoryzon 

• PipPip
  • LocationWashington D.C.

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Great tutorial, but I really hope everyone doesn't start doing this in all of their sigs. As cool as it looks this will become extremely bad looking if everyone uses it. :( THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO DO TEXT!

Oh, and if you want some critique, I personally try to keep text close to my focal point, so it's not too distracting.

YAY! I'd love some new ways!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Sprinkles 

• PipPip

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Lol, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to start adding new information now.

Edit: Updated with vector section, :).
NEW NATION

#18 User is offline   Krick19 

• PipPip

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:45 PM

Thanks, I really like how you add text to your sigs. (I also like the font, thanks for the share)

#19 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:48 AM

This tut will be an excellent resource for those who are new to gfx!

#20 User is offline   Rabid- 

• PipPip

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Nice Guide, I will certainly look forward to other additions!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic