Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Adding "weight" to text in GIMP - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Adding "weight" to text in GIMP

#1 User is offline   Larry G 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to GIMP. I'm more of a Jasc/Corel PSP guy, mainly versions 7 and below. Is there a user-friendly or just any way to add "weight" to text in GIMP? In PSP, you can add "weight" to any text by clicking on "stroke" and adjusting that to any number making the text thicker or even make an outline text effect by eliminating the "fill" box in the text box.

What is the GIMP equivalent to this? So far, I haven't found it. If there are any text tutorials on this, I would appreciate it. I like the fact that you can work with any unicode text on GIMP, but on the other programs, this is more difficult in XP.

Thanks in advance,
Larry

#2 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm a PSP 7 user so I know what you are talking about there.

In GIMP, there isn't anything with the text entry to thicken the stroke or make the text hollow. You have to do it after you've typed the text.

First and foremost, in the layers dialog, right click your text layer and select Layer to Image size. That gets rid of the text boundary so your stroking doesn't get uneven.

Making hollow text. Take a look near the bottom of this post where I'm telling about clearing out text and the text is "Dunes." You won't have a picture behind yours but the technique is the same.
http://www.gimptalk....php?f=2&t=36147

To stroke or "fatten" your text.

There are lots of ways to skin this cat so this is just one way. Again, be sure you have done your text layer with Layer to Image size. Then, right click your text layer, choose Alpha to Selection. That selects your text.

In the Image window Menu: Edit > Stroke selection. Choose the width of stroke you want to add.

To unselect your text, Ctrl + Shift + A
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   -ES- Rooster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUS East Coast, Georgia

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Oregonian has given you some great advice.
I personally like to manipulate text using the alpha commands and grow/shrink and then fill with color. There are some excellent text manipulation techniques in the tutorials section as well.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

Cat Skinning 201

To "fatten" your text: "Filters->Distorts->Value Propagate" with the More Opaque option.

To "outline" text: "Layer->Mask->Add Layer Mask" initialized to Inverted Alpha Channel. "Filters->Distorts->Value Propagate" the layer (not the mask) with the More Opaque option.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#5 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

saulgoode said:

Cat Skinning 201

To "fatten" your text: "Filters->Distorts->Value Propagate" with the More Opaque option.

Someday maybe I'll graduate. That is way cool, saulgoode. One more credit added. :mrgreen:

That is particularly nice when you have a font you like but it's too thin to fill with color and still have a stroke.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

Note that the Value Propagate method for outlining creates the outline outside the text. If you want the outline inside the text then you would apply Value Propagate on the layermask with the More White option.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#7 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:25 PM

saulgoode said:

Note that the Value Propagate method for outlining creates the outline outside the text. If you want the outline inside the text then you would apply Value Propagate on the layermask with the More White option.

That works very nicely. Now how am I going to remember that for finals next week?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic