Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: AI files and GIMP - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AI files and GIMP

#1 User is offline   Mz.Teri 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:47 AM

I know that gimp can open eps files. But I am having trouble with AI files. I click on the open button and a screen comes up, I select the file I want. click to import and then it freezes. I waited and waited and well "not responding". I hit cancel and try to open a different file type and have no problem. Any suggestions?

#2 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

I don't even know what kind of files AI files are ... (my first thought is that they are files containing small self-contained artificial intelligences. ;) )
Griatch

#3 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorway(near griatch's country :D )

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

Adobe Ilustrator ;)
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

(we want our image to be "gimped", not "photoshopped"; the difference being one can't tell when an image has been properly gimped :) ).

#4 User is offline   ragtag 

• PipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:40 AM

AI files are Adobe Illustrator files.

I just tested this now. I had a number of old Illustrator files lying around (made with Illustrator 8). Hit File>Open in GIMP and then choose "All Files" from the file format pop-up menu in the lower right hand corner. If it's set to "All Images" .ai files won't show up. Pick your image and it will load them the same way it does .eps. Apparently .ai is almost the same as .eps, except it's Adobe's version.

Note that this works with Illustrator 8 files (that were not to complex), I don't know how well it will work with the latest version of Illustrator. An alternative is to ask whoever gave you the files to give you .eps or bitmap files instead. :)

p.s. I tried opening them in InkScape too, but had no luck there.
Posted Image
Depending on where you work, site may be not safe for work. :)

#5 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 14 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

As ragtag wrote, but Gimp do not handle to well vector files.
And there is another problem ,even if the name is remained identical, Adobe changed the AI format , and i believe only the older AI (done with illustator pre-CS, or saved to be backward compatible )may be opened with Inkscape...about Gimp i didn't know that could open any kind of AI...but if worked for Ragtag may work for you

#6 User is offline   Mz.Teri 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

These AI files are from the newest version of adobe illustrator. :( I will just have to have them remake them as eps.

Thanks a bunch for the helpful replies as always. :D

#7 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Save them as postscript files and they will open up in GIMP. They say you don't need Ghostscript installed now, but I recently had an issues that required me to have the appropriate links for Ghostscript (updated Ghostscript to the latest and forget to change the Environmental variable links). If GIMP didn't require Ghostscript, then why did I have to do this? So you will more then likely need Ghostscript too and I do believe it is ai 89 compatible (believe that's the rev.). Better to just export as SVG or PS (I do believe if you export it as SVG that you don't need Ghostscript). :)

#8 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:10 PM

On windows ghostscript is required.
Anyway since i have no any other reason to use Ghostscript on Windows, even because contain a sort of disturbing adware that i was not able to kill, i resolve not editing variables but just copying (both :!: )the ghostscript .exe and moving the copies in the gimp bin folder

then i unistalled ghostscript, no more needed

#9 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:10 PM

I've used Ghostscript for nearly a decade now PC and don't remember getting ad-ware. Sorry that it has happened to you. Didn't know that all you really needed was GS's executable placed in GIMP's Bin folder for this to work. That's cool. I also use Ghostscript/Ghostview combo to create PDFs (use to use Redmond's virtual printer, but I don't really make PDFs that often anymore and since my latest rebuild, just kept GS and GV installed) and export vector files embeded in PDFs and Postscript files for use in other applications when needed. :)

#10 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 05:15 PM

While I'm here, I have another question. Since Ghostscript is open source, why can't that code be borrowed by GIMP so that this can truely be a part of GIMP itself? Don't know if this violates any eula or other agreements. Just bringing that up. :)

#11 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Ghostscript do not display a "ad" to you?
Will be no nasty once, just state that" GS is free ,open source, but donations are welcome, i am invite to register my copy ,(if i'm not wrong "register" include a fee ) "

Nothing too bad but i hate that bumping on every time i want open a PDF...may be a way to disable it from GS the point is that ad has not a "don't show again " checkbox, and i do not like be forced to investigate how to remove it.

About your question i was wandering on the same point...i may be wrong but seems that Gimp do not need Ghostscript as program but only some libraries included .

But i believe this will be fixed somehow in the future PDF should be supported out of the box

#12 User is offline   orionmessier42 

• Pip

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hi everyone. First post here, but thought I'd contribute.

By installing Ghostscript, I was able to open both an (.eps) file and an (.ai) file.

Quickly googling, there is a great how-to-install Ghostscript here: http://www.squidoo.com/epsGIMP.

I hope this helps everyone open their .ai files.

#13 User is offline   radius 

• PipPip
  • LocationBangkok, Thailand

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Never heard of .ai files till today...I'll tell you the reason in a mo', y'all might be interested :)

My question is can either Gimp or Inkscape save a file in .ai format? And if not, is there any way that I can produce something (ideally in) Gimp and later convert it (without loss of data) to .ai format? (neither program lists .ai in the list of saveable extensions).

Urgh, sorry. This is the sort of thing that makes me want to shutdown the computer and take up stick whittling.. :(

The reason I need to know is this: http://www.worldfilm...contest2010.php

Appreciate any help. If the answer is no to all my questions, does anyone know of an opensource program that CAN work with .ai files? (Don't y'just hate proprietary sw... :x )
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic