Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: How to: Draw an arrow like this - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to: Draw an arrow like this

#1 User is offline   sofox 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Sometimes i write a tutorial with images, and i want to use arrow to express my idea more clearly. But in Gimp i didn't find a tool to do that. I am very new to Gimp, so can someone tell me how to draw a nice arrow as the following:

Posted Image

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

There is no specific tool to make an arrow, no. It's possible there are some filter scripts to do it, but you can rather easily do one with the path or polygon select tool. The latter is probably easiest, but it is only available in gimp2.6 and later.
    [*:2stelciu] Select the polygon select tool (this is the same as the lasso tool)
    [*:2stelciu] click out the corners of the arrow you want (if you drag the tool will draw a custom line, if you click your points will be connected by straight lines). You can also adjust the nodes you place down. This is very fast to do.
    [*:2stelciu] When you close the selection (click back at the start point), you will have a finished selection in the shape of your arrow.
    [*:2stelciu] Fill your selection with any colour/gradient using the Bucket fill or Gradient fill tool. Done.

Posted Image

With some practice it shouldn't take more than 15 seconds to make an arrow using the polygon select tool. The path tool works just as well, it takes one extra step to convert your path to a selection, but otherwise it's the same.
Griatch

PS: As a side note, if you take screenshots of GIMP itself, using GIMP's own screenshot feature, you should get a two-layer image where the mouse cursor is on its own layer. That mouse cursor image can be used to point out places and effects too.

#3 User is offline   sofox 

• Pip

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

It's fun to get works done with Gimp in a way like that :)

Anyway, i think it's enough for me. but for people writing tutorials regularly they will net a tool doing this directly.

This is my outcome obtaining from your guide
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:56 AM

You could make that image into a brush?

#5 User is offline   sofox 

• Pip

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:24 AM

don't know how to make a brush that begin with a point and finish with the arrowhead!
i've tried with the above image but the brush i have from it (save as a .gbr file) acts like an entire image.

#6 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:35 AM

Whereas it is possible to animate brushes to rotate as you wish, the stretching is hard to animate, so it's not really suitable.
I'm sure there is a script out there somewhere for doing arrows (letting you click in two places (or give two coordinates) and then make an arrow between those points shouldn't be too hard). You can always rotate and stretch your arrow manually if you really want, that probably takes longer than making a new one though.

I have done a lot of tutorials and for the times an arrow is needed, I think 15 seconds is not much to make one from scratch. But otherwise I reckon a vector program like Inkscape is probably your best bet for this rather than GIMP.
Griatch

#7 User is offline   newt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

I agree with Griatch, your way better off just manually drawing it yourself, besides that gives you more practice at skills you probably need.
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 User is offline   tlmercur 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi,

New to gimp too and would like to draw quick arrow(s) on top of a picture like it can be done with Word or PowerPoint.

In the directions below "Select the polygon select tool", where is that? I don't see Lasso or Polygon coming off of any of the menu's.

Thanks.

#9 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

s fun to get works done with Gimp in a way like that :)

Anyway, i think it's enough for me. but for people writing tutorials regularly they will net a tool doing this directly.

most of screengrabber may add simple shapes as arrow, as example Screenshoot Captor (free from donationcoders ) may do it,(and is even possible add new customized shapes )

#10 User is offline   The Gimp Pimp 

• PipPip

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

Nice arrows guys =) haha
Posted Image
View Gimp Art, or view and submit your own Gimp Xcf Files and Gimp Tutorials!

#11 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

Griatch suggestion is cool, anyway if you do often tutorial with screengrab i suggest a dedicated tool http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/M ... index.html
There is also a more simple version, both

It allow also to edit much more quickly then Gimp the screenshoots, (from the main window, you get option to open the main window with a right click on the icon in the toolbar, once installed.

#12 User is offline   gmpNov 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:20 PM

Griatch,

I know this is a dated thread, but I just had to say what a great description! Being very much a Gimp novice, clear and concise tips and "how to's" are golden. I have been wondering how to draw arrows (by hand) for a long while. Now I know =)

Thanks again.

#13 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

Recently, I have been workng on circular glass arrows (just don't ask why; was for another forum. lol).

Yes; shameless self promotion. :)

http://www.innograph.../ruby_arrow.png

http://www.innograph...de=view/aga.png

#14 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:09 AM

Those are gorgeous! Love the clear glass one. I like the red one too.

Nice. :mrgreen:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:13 AM

Thanks Oregon; used my ruby texture that I created back to create the red arrow. The clear one was done, in part, using Kward's Glass Script-fu. :)

#16 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:32 AM

This is my arrow. I saved it as a brush. Comes in handy now and then.

Posted Image

:lol:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   wbool63 

• PipPip
  • LocationAus, The Land Down Under

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:48 AM

Griatch said:

PS: As a side note, if you take screenshots of GIMP itself, using GIMP's own screenshot feature, you should get a two-layer image where the mouse cursor is on its own layer. That mouse cursor image can be used to point out places and effects too.

Griatch , what am I doing wrong? Under no instance can I capture the mouse pointer or have more than One layer. I have tried In Ubuntu and Windows
In Gimp ---- File | Create | Screen Shot.
I normally use a "free screen grabber" that will capture the mouse pointer , but if it can be done from within Gimp that would be great .
Ubuntu 9.0.4 , Windows xp home sp2, gimp2.6

#18 User is offline   Oregonian 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

In Fedora Linux I made an image filled with white, made sure the image window was the selected window and put the cursor in the middle of the screen.

Pressed Alt + Printscreen (That copies the selected window), and a dialog came up and asked if I want to copy it to the clipboard or save as an image (either way will work). I saved it to the clipboard. Then in Gimp, File > Create > From Clipboard and I got a screen print of that window with the cursor on it.

It was not in layers. I had to clean the background from it plus I dumped the drop shadow around it.

I was unable to capture the cursor using Gimp's screenshot feature.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   lylejk 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:59 AM

Creating tapered arrows is not that hard. Just create a solid line by picking a wide solid brush and click where you want to begin. Then, while pressing the shift key, click where you want it to end. Now set the erasure and do the same to erase the outlines to get the taper. Create the head by painting a sufficient area and then erase using the same shift key technique. For the arrow below, I did do a blending of Fencepost Chrome to give it some dimension. :)

Posted Image

Image hosted free thanks to ImageShack (http://www.imageshack.us).

#20 User is offline   jolie 

• Retired staff
  • PipPip

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

I usually just draw 3 lines and if you're lucky I'm even holding the shift key to make the lines straight. :oops: :lol:

Think I might make a nice brush once 2.8 is out and you can rotate brushes. There! I've got myself a (belated) new year's resolution. :mrgreen:
Until then I'll be using paint.NET. (windows only) It can make arrows in one click and drag.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic