Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Smudge Tool is not working? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Smudge Tool is not working?

#1 User is offline   billandalisha 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:10 AM

Hey,

When I try to use the smudge tool in gimp (2.6.2). I click on it and I try to smudge the image. But gimp seems to ignore the tool. So I decided to play with the Opacity, Rate and even the scale. No luck.

So then I thought, ok maybe the changes are to small for me to see. So I decided to zoom all the way in and try the smudge tool. No change at all.

The odd thing is it is a single layer image. I just tried an experiment, I opened the photo I wanted to smudge with clicked on the tool and tried blending the area. Then I closed it, it didn't ask me if i wanted to save the "changes" I just made.

FYI the smudge tool does not have an circular with an line across it saying I cant use it.

Here is the image I am trying to fix up Posted ImagePosted Image

Thanks

#2 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 10 November 2008 - 03:21 AM

Is your image in RGB Mode? Smudging is not available with Indexed images.

Off topic: how do I download files from Imageshack?
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#3 User is offline   billandalisha 

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Bingo, thanks.

Any idea how to blend the bottom right hand into the gray? This is going to be a button, I just expanded out the gray and I will crop an perfect circle later on.

Click on the image I just posted, and it should bring up another window,right click it the photo and save as.

#4 User is offline   Sarkoloff 

• Pip

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thank you, Bingo, for I had the same problem with the smudge tool not working, and changing the mode from Indexed to RGB did the trick.

The reason I'm writing, is that I have a relevant question: I'd like to know how it is that the graphics image in question, (which is one I created myself from scratch using the Gimp program), 'became' indexed in the first place(?), so that I might prevent this from happening again. I figure that since I don't use the Gimp program more than maybe once or twice a week, that if and when I have this problem again sometime in the future, I will likely forget about the Indexed/RGB conversion method, and have to search once again for the solution. I'd much prefer to find out how I can prevent it from occurring again, in other words. Any help,(from anyone), would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks in advance!

#5 User is offline   ofnuts 

• Ex-mod
  • Group: Moderators
  • Locationhttp://www.gimp-forum.net

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I've never seen Gimp color-index a picture on its own. If you didn't start from a GIF (or some color-indexed PNG) then you must have explicitly changed the color mode. Even saving the image as GIF leaves it as RGB if you use the implicit indexing.
This forum is dead. For timely answers to your Gimp questions go to

www.gimp-forum.net

#6 User is offline   Sarkoloff 

• Pip

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

View Postofnuts, on 01 October 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I've never seen Gimp color-index a picture on its own. If you didn't start from a GIF (or some color-indexed PNG) then you must have explicitly changed the color mode. Even saving the image as GIF leaves it as RGB if you use the implicit indexing.

Ah! Ok, now I understand.. because I heard that saving a graphic in GIF format would cause the file to have less deterioration over time, I saved it as a .gif That explains the switch to indexed, then. Thanks for the input, ofnuts. Much appreciated. :)

This post has been edited by Sarkoloff: 02 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

#7 User is offline   ofnuts 

• Ex-mod
  • Group: Moderators
  • Locationhttp://www.gimp-forum.net

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

View PostSarkoloff, on 02 October 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

because I heard that saving a graphic in GIF format would cause the file to have less deterioration over time,
Saving as GIF avoid deterioration over time because it deteriorates the file outright so there isn't much left to damage :)

Actually no format deteriorates over time. There are lossy formats, such as JPEG, where you create minute losses each time you edit and save (but this isn't completely true...). The best format to share things would be TIFF because it not lossy and supports high bit depth, then PNG because it's not lossy, and then JPG. GIF is best left to animations those days, and should not be seen as an editable format.
This forum is dead. For timely answers to your Gimp questions go to

www.gimp-forum.net

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic