Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Beginning with Gimp -- Starting tutorial for new users - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beginning with Gimp -- Starting tutorial for new users

#41 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNorway(near griatch's country :D )

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

XD, just save up some money. Shouldn't be too hard to find a decent pretty cheap one.
Can't wait to see some of your creations :)
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

(we want our image to be "gimped", not "photoshopped"; the difference being one can't tell when an image has been properly gimped :) ).

#42 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

Nah, that's a fully usable setup. I had far worse when starting using GIMP (I had a 400MHz P2 for my first PC).

At any rate, if you are aiming to make the kind of images you linked to, you must have a firm grasp of form, anatomy and layout. Those vital skills you can obtain just as well with a pen and paper as on the computer. Start drawing, stay black&white in the beginning.

Down the line you might afford a cheap scanner (it can really be super-cheap, b&w only in worst case, alternatively maybe your school might help you). If you scan your line drawings into the computer, quality of mouse etc doesn't matter much -- you can use a spattering of gimp's tools to colour your works without needing much precision. True, to get to the kind of level of detail given in your link, you will eventually need to get quite advanced. But until you can afford at least a decent mouse, keep practising the basics on paper, you will not regret it.
Griatch

#43 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

if u are so desperate then here are 2 of my best http://img407.images....us/my.php?imag ... ageik1.jpg and here is the website.........ok everyone the website was blastflow but i think they went into liquidation or there website is under construction,most probably the first one......oh well this is for u mnm

#44 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

yes i know Wat u are saying griatch but i want to draw on the computer,dnt have a scanner and the stupid school doesn't either and the only have like 2 which are only allowed for teachers....this is why i hate life

#45 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

bump*

#46 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

@Tramp
Is it something in the tutorial that is still unclear?
If you want feedback on your (non-tutorial related) images (which are really quite good, the second one in particular), post them in the Artwork forum. :)
Griatch

#47 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:32 PM

but i made em using other images,i have the creative imagination but i cant make em since i dont know how......made the second one using lots of tuts.....also read this griatch hi-anyone-care-to-help--p255147.html#p255147

#48 User is offline   bagadonuts 

• Pip

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thanks so much for an easy to understand tutorial. I would like to post my smiley guy but, also a beginner in posting to forums, I have no idea what to do. Can you explain what it is that I need to do? Thanks again...very, very helpful.

#49 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:16 AM

bagadonuts said:

Thanks so much for an easy to understand tutorial. I would like to post my smiley guy but, also a beginner in posting to forums, I have no idea what to do. Can you explain what it is that I need to do? Thanks again...very, very helpful.

You are welcome, glad it was of help! As mentioned in the tutorial, we have a FAQ on how to do this, this is the relevant entry:

Q: How do I post clickable thumbnails on GIMPtalk?
A: Easiest is to upload your image to an image host like http://www.imagehost.org/, http://www.imageox.net/, http://www.pictiger.com/, http://imageshack.us/ or http://photobucket.com/. When you do you will get offered "Code for Forums". Just paste that code into your post, make sure "Disable BBCode" is NOT checked below the input window, and you're done.
Otherwise you need to manually supply what the imagehost does automatically for you: A web adress to your thumbnail (small image) and the address to your big image (the one you want to load when clicking thumbnail). You then wrap it in command 'tags' in your post. Wrap it like this (look at the output from an imagehost if you're still confused):
[URL=http://www.mysite/bigimage.jpg] [IMG] http:/www.mysite/thumbnail.jpg [/IMG] [/URL]

#50 User is offline   jtj321 

• PipPip

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:52 AM

just a word of thanks to the author-just finished my first bit of photo editing-even managed to download some brushes,feeling v.smug! To anyone like me,new to graphics programs,and only moderately pc literate,this tutorial is a great starting place,I referred back to it a lot,you need to stick at it,and the results will amaze you!
Thanks to Griatch and all at Gimp

#51 User is offline   kane 

• PipPip
  • Locationcali

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

this is a good guide, directing newbies here :)

#52 User is offline   PT'S own 00 

• Pip

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:53 AM

i wont work for me look mysmiley.xcf.jpg

#53 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

PT'S own 00 said:

i wont work for me look mysmiley.xcf.jpg

Welcome to GIMPtalk! You need to be more specific with your question than that though, and more importantly you need to host your image and supply a working image link to it, just giving the name of the image won't help. If you don't know how to have your image show on the web, see our [FAQ].
Griatch

#54 User is offline   Rizzie 

• PipPip
  • LocationDr. Carlisle's Office

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

Here's My Smiley man:

Posted Image

As, You can see I could not for the life of me, fill that text with gradient, Which is getting on my nerves, But oh well, Lol.
I'm hoping some magical day will come that my computer will be nice to me. xD

THANKS for this tutorial, It helped me alot, getting acquainted with all the buttons and dials. x3
Though there's still loads and loads and eons of things to learn still. Hahh, ;D

Thanks, again. c:
Rizzie
Posted Image

#55 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

@Rizzie

Thanks for trying the tutorial. Hope you figure out how the gradient fill works one of those days. ;)
One other thing you could have done was to crop the image down to size. As you see there is a lot of empty white space to the right. Also, the white inner rims of the bow tie and the hat comes from not following the tutorial's suggestion to manually mark out the selection.

Anyway, this is a long tutorial, good job of managing it through! f you could upload your result as a thumbnail I'd be most happy to add it to the "Hall of fame" at the top. :D

For future work, there are some links at the end of the tutorial that suggests where to go next.
Griatch

#56 User is offline   feliciaw 

• Pip
  • LocationProvincetown, Cape Cod

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

This tutorial rocks. I went through it twice and Gimped all weekend. Somehow at the end I was unable to de-select the text box and got my rainbow behind my text instead of filling my text. http://www.capestrea...asp?prodid=1000 But it skipped the opening in the "P". I managed to get it right in this humiliating photo of my cat. Thanks for your help, I am inspired. I hope these images show up.

#57 User is offline   Rizzie 

• PipPip
  • LocationDr. Carlisle's Office

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:11 AM

Griatch said:

@Rizzie

Thanks for trying the tutorial. Hope you figure out how the gradient fill works one of those days. ;)
One other thing you could have done was to crop the image down to size. As you see there is a lot of empty white space to the right. Also, the white inner rims of the bow tie and the hat comes from not following the tutorial's suggestion to manually mark out the selection.

Anyway, this is a long tutorial, good job of managing it through! f you could upload your result as a thumbnail I'd be most happy to add it to the "Hall of fame" at the top. :D

For future work, there are some links at the end of the tutorial that suggests where to go next.
Griatch

Yep, the resizing magic. [: I wasn't sure how to do that before, but just reading the tut over again, I noticed you have to press the Return, which makes sense. Heh, x3
So, That was easy.
Yeah, I noticed the hat/bowtie thing. |D
I'll get to it and fix it. x3

Awhh, Thankyou! Yeah, :3

No way, Relly?! :o
Cool, Well I've got the thumbnail, Here it is:
Posted Image

That's awesome, Thanks. ;D

Yep, I will definatley check those out real soon, x33
Posted Image

#58 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorway(near griatch's country :D )

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

I like the effect that comes with the hat/bowtie fill :P
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

(we want our image to be "gimped", not "photoshopped"; the difference being one can't tell when an image has been properly gimped :) ).

#59 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

Added links to Photocomix' Python-support package for Windows, for people who don't want to use the Fog-Plasma workaround.
Griatch

#60 User is offline   umazak 

• Pip
  • LocationI dunno. You tell me.

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Howdy. I can see why so many people recomend this place. It's really useful. Anyways, here's the one that I made followin' your instructions, Griatch-sensei.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Sig and avvie made by a friend on khinsider.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic