Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Beginning with Gimp -- Starting tutorial for new users - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beginning with Gimp -- Starting tutorial for new users

#21 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

@jtj321
Maybe you are using a very low resolution for your screen? You could try to temporary increase it so the window fits and you can resize it (I believe you do that from the same place you change the wallpaper, right-clicing at the the desktop).

In the case of GIMP, if the height of the window is made up by e.g. the toolbox and the tool options, you can split the window by dragging away from the bar where the tabs would appear (as seen in the tutorial). That would you could at least see all of the tool options.
Griatch

#22 User is offline   jtj321 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

Griatch Thanks will try this-gotta go to work now-rats!

#23 User is offline   jtj321 

• PipPip

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:06 AM

Thanks for the tutorial-really enjoyed it,best fun with a paintbrush since i was seven.Hopefully this adress will allow you to view my efforts-not sure how you make the image appear in the post! A couple of the buttons in windows are differently named in windows,but easy enough to work out.One question,are there graphic specific mice?-I found it very difficult to get fine control-or is that just down to experience? Thanks again,great job.

Posted Image

#24 User is offline   Terroth 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationWigraaaam man!

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:21 AM

wow...

Wall of text crits for....

Once i can get the time to read what looks like a book lol.
Ill take a look. It looks good though.

Nice result Jtj321 :P
Come and party with the zombies in the moonlight!!

Posted Image
DA Page - Check it out :DLeave a comment :P

Posted Image

#25 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:25 AM

@jtj321

Good job! Looks like you managed through it all, and did all the steps, including the thumbnail. :) This is of course just scratching the surface of GIMP, but depending on what you want with the program you should hopefully have some grip of the basics to continue from. I'm putting this up in the first post's "hall of fame", good job. :)

Working with the mouse is a matter of experience, as with all art tools. But quality of the mouse matters greatly for how good control you can have; best is probably a weighted laser mouse (so-called "game mice" works well). For even more power, gimp supports graphics tablets, which allows you to draw on a pad using a special pen, with pressure sensitivity and many other functions. Tablets range in price from <$100 to >$2000. Searching google for "wacom" is a good start if you want some examples of tablets well-supported in GIMP. It's perfectly possible to do good art with a mouse too though; it's just a matter of training.
Griatch

#26 User is offline   Pollywog 

• Pip

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

Griatch,

I came across your tutorial last night and I have seen many beginner tutorials and yours is by far the best.
Thanks for writing it, now I think I am beginning to understand GIMP.

#27 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

hi am noob,i just joined because i saw ur deviant art site and i liked it,i have been interested in these art for ages but i cant afford the software or the tablets..............so i have decided to start with gimp but i need help my computer and mouse are worst ever possible since am poor and so it is hard to draw with crappy mouse

#28 User is offline   jfrog 

• Pip

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

Griatch, - thanks for the great tutorial....it got me up and running on a photo project way quicker than I would have otherwise!

I know this doesn't look at all like gimpy:

Posted Image

Thanks again!

#29 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:32 AM

@Pollywog and jfrog
Thanks for the comments (and welcome to GIMPtalk!), glad the tutorial helped you guys!

@Tramp

hi am noob,i just joined because i saw ur deviant art site and i liked it,i have been interested in these art for ages but i cant afford the software or the tablets..............so i have decided to start with gimp but i need help my computer and mouse are worst ever possible since am poor and so it is hard to draw with crappy mouse

Thanks and welcome to GIMPtalk! Mouse quality does help to make steadier lines. It is not impossible though, and using the mouse to draw is a matter of experience -- the same way you start to learn any new tool. ├Łou are used to draw with a pen, so the mouse is a very different experience in that regard. Most people feel it rather awkward at first.
However, it also depends on what you want to do with GIMP... For most photomanipulation, many forms of signatures or image effects etc you don't need high precision on your mouse or a high-grade computer. Experiment and look through some tutorials (there are hundreds here on GimpTalk, you can find long lists of them in our Official- and User-tutorial forums) that you think look fun to do.
Griatch

#30 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

but i want to draw art like http://artculture.co...igital-art-2007 art u might draw on a paper....:(,i will never be able to do it with my crappy epquipment

#31 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Tramp said:

but i want to draw art like http://artculture.co...igital-art-2007 art u might draw on a paper....:(,i will never be able to do it with my crappy epquipment

Some nice art there, all possible to do in GIMP. Exactly how 'crappy' is this equipment of yours though? Could you give the specs of your computer?
Griatch

#32 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Windows xp sp3(i think)
Intel pentium 4 single core 2ghz(i think)
Around 500mb ram
Geforce 2 mx 100/200(really old)
DirectX 9.0c
Around 1 gb space left
Really crappy keyboard and mouse
really old monitor but lcd and 1024x764

very shit:(,so please help me griatch cos i want to draw amzing,i can do it on paper so i want tot do it on computer too....please:'(

#33 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNorway(near griatch's country :D )

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

Ouch Tramp
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

(we want our image to be "gimped", not "photoshopped"; the difference being one can't tell when an image has been properly gimped :) ).

#34 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

i told ya it was shit :'(,why do u think my name is tramp...

#35 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

:P But try to find all options in Gimp's preferences that say something about memory or similar , and put them to half of your specs maximum :)
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

(we want our image to be "gimped", not "photoshopped"; the difference being one can't tell when an image has been properly gimped :) ).

#36 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

i know wat u mean,but i cant draw with a crappy mouse and a workmen can blame his tools when it is the case

#37 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

When it comes to the mouse there is nothing you can do if its crappy :P
Get a good optical mouse :)
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

#38 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

:( and wer do i get money from...

#39 User is offline   MNM 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

Your mom's wallet :P
MNM
Posted Image

saulgoode said:

#40 User is offline   Tramp 

• PipPip

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:45 PM

:P,even if i could i woudnt...

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic