Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: What tools/how should I use the tools to make a bow? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What tools/how should I use the tools to make a bow?

#1 User is offline   cre8iv3cre8ionz 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:56 AM

Basically I want to know how to make a bow using GIMP (um, yeah, "GIMPtalk" LOL)
    By "bow", I mean like a bow you put in your hair, like you would use for "digi-scrapping"
    I'm not very fluent in curve-bend (for lack of better words), and I assume you use that for it.
    If you do use curve-bend to make a bow, how do you use it to make a bow?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense...I think my brain has taken a vacation...and didn't even tell me where it went! :cry:

Thank you sooo much!

(Oh, and if I put this in the wrong section, sorry! Like I said...MIA brain)
MWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have discovered a way to download the old GIMP versions! YESSSS!!!

I get my old GIMP back! Whoohoo for oldschool GIMP loving teens! =P

*does happy dance and rushes off to make cool things with GIMP*

#2 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

I'm not sure what you mean with a "bow", nor one that you put in your hair? Not a native English speaker, sorry. You mean a sort of knot or rosette maybe?

At any rate, curved lines are often easiest done using the path tool; draw out a straight lines, then click and drag the control points to make a nice smooth curve. Convert your curves to selections and stroke them with Edit-Stroke Selection.

If you supplied an image of what you mean, it would be easier to offer help. :)
Griatch

#3 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

I'm not much of an artist so I don't do much in the way freehand drawing. I prefer to use simple shapes and then distort them into something closer to what I wish. As an alternative approach to creating a "bow", I would propose the following technique. Though the end result is not too pleasing, it might serve as a starting point for adding some finishing touches.

Posted Image
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#4 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

@saulgoode
That is a bow tie, is it also called only "bow"? *honestly interested*
Griatch

#5 User is offline   cre8iv3cre8ionz 

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

Well, not exactly a "bow tie"...I'll try to find a link, but in the meantime, when I mean "bow" I mean like how you tie your shoe laces, only with fabric or ribbon, like people put on headbands or hair clips to put in their hair, or sometimes to tie around a present for decoration

Ah, here we go: (note that I do not own these or made these...I just found them on google to use for examples)

Hair bows: http://www.rufflersr...es/imgp2268.jpg
General idea of bow I'm looking for:

http://tbn0.google.c...mages?q=tbn:sHJ ... s-prev.jpg

I do know how to make the general shape, it's just getting it to look like it's real, ya know?...
MWAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have discovered a way to download the old GIMP versions! YESSSS!!!

#6 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

Shading, shading, shading, and then some highlights. :P

... There is not simple way to do this I don't think; easiest is to use a reference, then go about using the paintbrush and smudge tools interchangeably in order to build up the sensation of cloth. You use the smudge tool to create folds similar to the ones used in this image: Link or Link (although more subtle). I haven't done a tutorial specifically for cloth (maybe I'll do that one day), but you could check out some of my tutorials on using the airbrush, especially the Advanced Airbrushing tutorial which also deals with smudging, albeit in the context of drawing skin. Could maybe be of some help.
Griatch

#7 User is offline   cre8iv3cre8ionz 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2008 - 04:47 AM

what do you think about this:

Posted Image

I don't know...I think for being fairly new at GIMP (Totally self taught and have been using it since about February I think, though it may be later) and it being my first try at anything like this, I did pretty well, but I'd love your opinion =)

I also tried a ribbon (like a fabric ribbon, not one of those ones you use for wrapping Christmas presents with)

Posted Image
LOL, I'm in a pink mood lately!

I wanted the texture to be subtle, but I think maybe it needs a little more contrast? Let me know what you think!

Thanks! :D

#8 User is offline   newt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

Did someone say contrasts?
Posted Image

Actually that's pretty darn good for a beginner. Id say yeah some highlights would be good, not as much as I did. lol
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

@cre8iv3cre8ionz

That's a very good first attempt, there! If you want to add more contrast, do so on a separate layer set to e.g. "multiply" mode; that will easily enhance contrast without you risking to mess things up. Good job!

@newt

Lol, a latex bow! :D
Griatch

#10 User is offline   cre8iv3cre8ionz 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:38 PM

thanks =) LOL, it does look very latexy there! I was refering to the ribbon below it, but I am laughing like crazy at that bow =p Is that the style of the future??? Hmmm...maybe you should patent that one!

#11 User is offline   newt 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:38 AM

Heh
Ah yes sometimes the lighting can become a texture as well.
But I was also trying to show what a good job you did, and that you could go in any number of directions from just that base image. :mrgreen:
Posted Image Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic