Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: How can I make CD covers in Gimp? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How can I make CD covers in Gimp?

#1 User is offline   Neosilas 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

I see that there is a template, but how does that go on a CD?

I need to make the cover of a CD in Gimp, so can someone help me?

#2 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:14 AM

Since the CD format is essentially quadratic, I guess the easiest way is to print the cover normally (it may be tricky to get the scale right on paper, you need to experiment), and then cut it with a pair of scissors. Otherwise there might be online printing labs or special printer packages that offer you to create CD-covers from any image, not sure.
Griatch

#3 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

Neosilas,

Are you talking about a CD cover or a CD label? If you are interested in making a label to place on your CD, there is a script that you can install from this link:

http://registry.gimp...iles/labels.scm

Just right-click the link above, choose Save Target As or Save Link As or something similar depending on your browser and save it into your Gimp scripts folder.

If you don't know where your Gimp scripts folder is, just select:

File | Preferences from the main Gimp toolbox window. In the Preferences window that opens, click on the little tab at the bottom left besides the Folders Section to expand that section. Then click on the Scripts Folder after expanding that section. You will see a window to the right that will show the path to your Gimp scripts folder.

After adding to the scripts folder, refresh the scripts by selecting:

Xtns | Script-Fu | Refresh Scripts

This will add a new menu heading under Xtns | Misc called Labels

You would then select:

Xtns | Misc | Labels | CD Label

You can choose from making a label for a CD/DVD or a mini-CD and the basic Background Color you want to select for your label for printing.

If you are new to Gimp AND are a Windows user, you might do better to use your favorite search engine and look for some CD label software that sets you up in a more automated way. In Gimp, once you design your label (or even cover if you want to do that), you will then have to import it into another program that would be used for printing out the labels on a cd label sheet.

I won't get into a tutorial on how to design a label because the possibilities are endless. The best that I can offer is that better you understand Gimp, the easier it will be for you to set up your design.

You did say you wanted a CD cover, but since you also asked how it goes on a CD, I'm guessing you wanted the CD label instead. Throwing out this information in hopes of it helping some.

:)

#4 User is offline   Chainsaw 

• Pip

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

ccbarr said:

Neosilas,

Are you talking about a CD cover or a CD label? If you are interested in making a label to place on your CD, there is a script that you can install from this link:

http://registry.gimp...iles/labels.scm

Just right-click the link above, choose Save Target As or Save Link As or something similar depending on your browser and save it into your Gimp scripts folder.

If you don't know where your Gimp scripts folder is, just select:

File | Preferences from the main Gimp toolbox window. In the Preferences window that opens, click on the little tab at the bottom left besides the Folders Section to expand that section. Then click on the Scripts Folder after expanding that section. You will see a window to the right that will show the path to your Gimp scripts folder.

After adding to the scripts folder, refresh the scripts by selecting:

Xtns | Script-Fu | Refresh Scripts

This will add a new menu heading under Xtns | Misc called Labels

You would then select:

Xtns | Misc | Labels | CD Label

You can choose from making a label for a CD/DVD or a mini-CD and the basic Background Color you want to select for your label for printing.

If you are new to Gimp AND are a Windows user, you might do better to use your favorite search engine and look for some CD label software that sets you up in a more automated way. In Gimp, once you design your label (or even cover if you want to do that), you will then have to import it into another program that would be used for printing out the labels on a cd label sheet.

I won't get into a tutorial on how to design a label because the possibilities are endless. The best that I can offer is that better you understand Gimp, the easier it will be for you to set up your design.

You did say you wanted a CD cover, but since you also asked how it goes on a CD, I'm guessing you wanted the CD label instead. Throwing out this information in hopes of it helping some.

:)

Thanks, ccbarr. Since I'm new to using scripts and all that, how do you find the Xtns to refresh the script-fu? I've been looking for the same thing, but I was hoping for something that would actually show the shape of the label with alpha channels marking out the edge of the CD label and the interior hole. i was hoping that way, I could know where to see where the holes would be in order to avoid putting images or script there. Any ideas?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic