Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Forsaken Mage Signature Tutorial - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forsaken Mage Signature Tutorial

#1 User is offline   Shadowraith 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hope you find it useful and I am looking forward to seeing some outcomes. If you have any problems or comments post below :P

Resources
-Render
-Brush Set 1
-Brush Set 2
-Brush Set 3
-Brush Set 4
-Brush Set 5

Tutorial

In this tutorial we will be making something similar to this:
Posted Image

Step 1

Open up a new canvas, I will be using 350x125 and fill with a:
-Black Background for a darker sig or
-White Background for a lighter sig.
I used black.

Posted Image

Step 2

Next scale your render to fit inside the sig and paste it in on a new layer. I like to paste my render in early because it allows me to create my sigs around it, not making a background, pasting in the render then doing the foreground. This method saves a lot of unneeded trouble with blending in your render and overall flow of the sig.

Posted Image

Step 3

We are going to start adding some life to the background. Make a new transparent layer under your render layer but above the background. Call it 'BG Texture 1'. Whip out some of the grunge brushes from Brush Set 1, these should be called something like KD-Ultimate-ED-02. Set your foreground color to the major color in your render and make a couple of clicks on the layer to add some texture. Set this layer to Normal at 100%

Posted Image

Step 4

Make another transparent layer and call it 'BG Texture 2' and place it above everything except the render layer.. Now change your foreground color to black, and use a similar brush, if not the same brush to what you used in the previous step. Make another couple of clicks around the sig but remember to leave some room for the 1st texture layer to show through. Set this layer to normal in the Layers dialogue at 70%.

Posted Image

Step 5

Make another transparent layer above everything except the render layer. Call this layer whatever you want, just as long as you know what it is. Change your foreground color to white and make one click with a similar brush as the one used in the previous step somewhere near the focal point. Set this layer to Overlay at 100%.

Posted Image

Step 6

Make a new transparent layer and move it to the top of the pile (Above the render layer) and call it 'Clouds'. Set your foreground color to white and select one of the Sentinel Cloud Brushes (Brush Set 2). Make a couple of clicks near the top of the sig to represent clouds, but don't crowd it. Make sure to make some of the brush to go over the render, but not too much because your still want to see it clearly, just want to blend it into the sig a bit. Set this layer to Normal at 100%.

Posted Image

Step 7

Now go Edit>Copy Visible, Edit>Paste. Move this layer underneath the render layer and call it 'Solid BG 1'. I usually use this technique a couple of times in each sig, it helps build a string background which I can use brushes on easily and make them look good. Set this layer to Normal at 100%.

Posted Image

Step 8

Make a new transparent layer and move it above to 'Solid BG 1' layer and underneath the render layer, call this 'II BG Texture 1'. Set your FG color to the same as you used in Step 3, and make a couple of clicks around the sig. Next go Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set both X and Y to 5. Set this Layer to Normal At 100%.

Posted Image

Step 9

Now we are going to start work on the foreground of the sig. Make a new transparent layer above the Render Layer but below the Clouds layer, call it 'FG Texture 1'. Get out an Ad-Hero brush (Brush Set 5), set your FG color to black and make a couple of clicks. Then change your FG color to white and make another couple of clicks, then switch back to black once more and make another couple. Set this layer to Overlay at 100%.

Posted Image

Step 10

Make another transparent layer and move it below the Cloud layer but above FG Texture 1, call it 'FG Texture 2'. Make your FG color black and select a fractal brush (Brush Set 3). Make a couple of clicks around the entire sig. Set this layer to Overlay at 100%.

Posted Image

Step 11

Make a new transparent layer and move it above the previous layer but below the Cloud Layer, call it 'FG Texture 3'. Make your FG color white, select a different fractal brush and make a couple of clicks around the sig. Set this layer to Overlay at 100% as well.

Posted Image

Step 12

Make a transparent layer and move it to the top of the pile (Above the Cloud layer), call it 'FG Texture 4'. Set your FG color to white and make one or two clicks at select parts of the sig where you want to add more texture, I only used one at the top right of the sig to blend in the clouds. Set this layer to Overlay at 100%.

Posted Image

Step 13

Now un-scale your render, but if it was a small render increase it's size. Now paste it in on a new layer, make the layer above the Fg Texture 4 layer and move this un-scaled render slightly to the side of the main render. Set this layer to Overlay at 80%.

Posted Image

Step 14

At the moment the colours of your sig are looking very plain, now it it time to fix that up. Go Edit>Copy Visible, Edit>Paste. Move this layer to the top if the pile and call it 'Color'. There are two main methods of colorizing a sig and I will explain them both, but in your sig only do one method.
Colorize - Go Colors>Colorize (I am using Gimp 2.4.5 so this where it is found, not sure though about past versions). Experiment with the sliders until you get a color that matches your render reasonably well, then Lighten it up to about 20 on the slider and click 'OK'. Set this layer to Overlay at 100%. Now select your Render Layer, go Layer>Transparency>Alpha To Selection. Now go back to your Color layer and go Edit>Clear.
Gradient Map - Set your FG and BG colors to the two main colors of your render. Now go Colors>Map>Gradient Map. Set this layer to Overlay at 100%.
Gradient Mapping is used for adding a more subtle amount of color whereas Colorizing is used to add a significant amount. I used the Colorize method.

Posted Image

Step 15

This step is optional, only do if your sig lacks contrast. Go Edit>Copy Visible, Edit>Paste. Move this to the top if the pile and set the layer to Overlay at 40%.

Posted Image

Finishing Touches

Now add some text and a border and your done. I like to do my borders by making a new transparent layer at the top of the pile, go Select>All, make your FG color something that suits the sig, like black for a dark sig. Then go Edit>Stroke Selection and set it to 2pxl.

Posted Image

Outcomes

Due to the large number of results, making it too many to put in this post, you can find all results in this album:
http://s283.photobuc.../Forsaken_Mage/
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   KovuKora 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

Nice! I like it. Here's my outcome. Posted Image
This is a signature, please look impressed!

My Deviantart

#3 User is offline   Radian 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

not bad, might try it later, but i like your current one better.
Sweetness from Sprinkles:
Posted Image
Favourite:
Posted Image
^Mosaic Box & Pentooling Wraps Made Easy^

#4 User is offline   sgouki 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:39 AM

here is mine
Posted Image
Posted Image

^Favourite^

#5 User is offline   Shadowraith 

• PipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

Nice outcomes, it's good to see that you are not completely following the tutorial, it adds variation to the possible outcomes. Thanks for using this tut.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   DannyLad11 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

i kinda copied lol

anyway, heres my version[img][url=http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magesigtx0.jpg][img]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4564/magesigtx0.th.jpg[/img][/url][/img]
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Shadowraith 

• PipPip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

haha, no problem, it is a good result. I think you got the coding wrong in your post but it doesn't matter, I can see it fine.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Demoneyes 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

nice, here is my outcome:

Posted Image

(i added quite a few things, but i didn't change any of yours.)
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   storm 

• PipPip

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

sweet tut my outcomes Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Shadowraith 

• PipPip

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

Great results both of you.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Master_Ridley 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

Storm, your sigs are nice, but the text is annoyingly bland. Mind spicing that up?

I'm gonna try the tutorial now, BTW, LOL
.:Newest:.
Posted Image
.:Favourite:.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Master_Ridley 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image

My outcome. :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Shadowraith 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

Very well done Ridley, I will update the list of results now...
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Master_Ridley 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:57 PM

Thanks. :3

I'm gonna do it once more.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Master_Ridley 

• PipPip

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

Posted Image

I added a C4D in and a few other things.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   -dancingwillow- 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:33 AM

Wehlp i tried it >.< Or my somwhat strange version of it....
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Master_Ridley 

• PipPip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

The un-resized render goes to Overlay, but your's is an exception I guess. Very nice tag. :l:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   -dancingwillow- 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:10 PM

I didnt know what an overlay was ;___;
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Master_Ridley 

• PipPip

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:11 PM

And you made such an awesome tag? D:

If you don't have the Layers channel open from download, then go to the main dock and hit Preferences>Dialogs>Layers, I believe.

This is from memory, not because I have it open. >_<

When you have the layer selected in said dialog, then hit the dropdown that says Normal and set it to Overlay.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Battousai 

• Pip

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:10 AM

My results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image