Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Python and Gimp - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Python and Gimp

#61 User is offline   Black Sheep 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

Okay I have tried everything over the past 3 hours get python to work with gimp to run this script

http://krypt77.alter.../index_gimp.htm

So now I am doing the un-thinkable by downloading Photoshop CS4

I want to slit my wrists cuz I am a hardcore Gimp Fan

Honestly they need to make an installer like the GAP for this shit

#62 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Honestly they need to make an installer like the GAP for this shit

Problem is who are the "they" that "need to make a installer".
Not Python people they already provided a installer, nor the developer of the other libraries for the same motive, not Gimp developers .

Let say that nobody that could make such installer never felt the need to do it, maybe also because may be a nightmare maintain updated a similar installer.

I honestly can't see a big difference in clicking on a installer once then clicking on 5 installers, sure only one time will be better but the concept is the same and seems simple: click on the installers to install.

So if you have specific problem you may report there and we will try to help

you prefer solve with Photoshop CS4 seems a good idea
PS CS4 is a excellent program, its knowledge is often required for commercial work, so may be good decision for both you and Adobe that always appreciate new customers and related new income.

Photoshop has no support for PY script, but has a good macro (="action") recorder that in gimp is still missed , and better support for printer

#63 User is offline   MichaeltheFisher 

• Pip

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

your links are broken or not found
Gloria In Exelsis Deo

#64 User is offline   Sean-Michael 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:48 AM

If you are crafty and want it bad enough google could give you the links you need, all the information you need is in this thread.

Seems the forum has had some troubles, not sure if links will be repaired or not.

Keep Cool'
Sean-Michael.

#65 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:07 PM

your links are broken or not found

more important link ,a pack that contain everything needed ,including a how to,is correct and still work
http://photocomix-resources.deviantart. ... r-74889017.

I updated the content just after 2.6 and still work with last stable

then may be released in the time while some more recent update of some of the libraries included, if you want check and report you are welcome.

But first note that updates must be checked for compatibility, as example a more recent version of Python is available but that new version was incompatible with some of the library...(i use was because this may change )

#66 User is offline   aron 

• Pip

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:59 AM

Post edited to remove ASCII garbage -- saulgoode
The following link appears to offer various free downloads of programming books.

free ebook download

#67 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:27 PM

@ Aron
how that page is related to thevtopic ?

#68 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

PhotoComix said:

@ Aron
how that page is related to thevtopic ?

If you search for python on that webpage, there are several results provided which would seem to be relevant.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#69 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

oopss i see now thank :!:

#70 User is offline   Dirty Eddie 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

Photocomix, I discussed this in pm and will bring it here for further guidance. I made a folder for the brushes I want to put in python brush manager. Here is what I put in the .ini file that is not saved as a .txt file :

[Brush Manager]
useManager = yes
gimpPath = C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\brushes
userPath = C:\Gimp Brush Palette\Brushes
extensions = .gbr,.vbr,.gih,.abr,
installedOptions =

Here is my gurm.py command line :

GURMINI = "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\gurm.ini"

That should be correct as I followed the read me for installing python and gimp to the letter as stated in this thread. Maybe I am missing something?

When I try to start the gurm console, it says that the .ini file cannot be found. It is in the plug in folder as stated in the read me's.

#71 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

i have to reinstall gurm on my pc, i think that may help me also to reply.

as now i will check that the extension of the ini file was not accidentally changed when you saved, in gurm.ini.txt , note that windows may hide .txt extension
(that may be corrected in Start/Search/option uncheck "hide extension for commune files" if checked...no reason to have most file extension hided but that is the windows default.

well check that first, and uncheck that option if active

#72 User is offline   Dirty Eddie 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

I don't quite follow what you're saying, but the folders show .ini and .py and I can't see that they are .txt files. I found out how to show hidden files, but the instructions you gave me, I can't find for file extensions.
Posted Image

#73 User is offline   Dirty Eddie 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Ugh. This can't be this difficult.

Did all the installs and restarts in order and even reinstalled Gimp. I don't get it. The .py and .ini file are in the plug ins folder in Gimp. There is only two paths to create and one line to change in the .py.

Just ugh. :?
Posted Image

#74 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

don't quite follow what you're saying, but the folders show .ini and .py and I can't see that they are .txt files.

Start/Search

in search in Tool menu search Option

There is "general" and another tab something a as "visualize"...not sure how may be called in english here the screenshoot

Posted Image

once found click OK is not sufficient :

instead once edited the options click "Apply" , then "apply to all subfolders and files", and then , finally OK

If we do not see the real file extension, we can't rule out most probable problem, the file saved as .txt happen often because the right option , save as "all files" is more hidden

#75 User is offline   Dirty Eddie 

• Pip

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

Those files are saved properly.

Not saved as .txt.
Posted Image

#76 User is offline   Anianna 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I see the read me says you have to uninstall and reinstall GIMP. I was waiting to DL 2.6.x because I heard it was buggy and my 2.4 is working beautifully. Can anybody tell me just how buggy 2.6 is with Windows? I feel like I'm trying to fix something that isn't broken, but I really want GURM and it requires Python.

#77 User is offline   Dirty Eddie 

• Pip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

I hope you have success with it and if you do, maybe you could help me. I did exactly what all the read me's said to do and the Python will not load up for me.

Anyway Gimp 2.6.6 doesn't seem to have any bugs in it.

2.6.4, on the other hand did have some issues, but .6 seems to have them ironed out.

Not a big fan of 2.6, as I really liked having the file opening mechanism on the toolbox.
Posted Image

#78 User is offline   Anianna 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

I see that Python is updated to 3.0.1 as of February, but it has changed significantly from the series 2 language. I also see that there is a conversion tool for series 3 so that it will read series 2 language.

I'm going to try to DL the latest Python with the conversion tool and then continue on with the Read Me instructions.

Is there any reason why I should not do it this way? I don't know enough about it for any red flags to pop up for me.

Dirty Eddie, I'll let you know how that turns out for me. Thanks for your opinion of 2.6. I guess I'll have to give it a try. Hopefully I won't mourn my 2.4.

Edit: I can't seem to find the download for the conversion tool, so maybe I won't be getting the latest version. When I click it, I am taken to a log and when I select the download link in the log I only get text. Anybody know how to get this conversion tool downloaded or is this something I have to change in the coding? Where can I find info on how to do that?

Also, these appear to be the latest versions of these components. Is there any reason why I should not be using the latest versions?
Python 3.0.1 http://www.python.or...ython-2.6.1.msi
GTK+ Runtime Environment http://garr.dl.sourc....11-win32-1.exe
PyCairo http://ftp.gnome.org...win32-py2.6.exe
PyGobject http://ftp.gnome.org...win32-py2.6.exe
PyGTK http://ftp.gnome.org...win32-py2.6.exe

Edit2:

The latest binaries above only support Python 2.6 - good reason not to get 3.0.1 at this point.

Also, the image in the read me comes up as unavailable. Do you still have it posted?

#79 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

you found the reason by yourself, i try to maintain everything updated but for each major release of gimp, now should work fine with gimp 2.6.

Maybe now you should be able to use phython 2.6 before gimp 2.6.5 was needed a older version,(i didn't update because would be confusing having 2 different pack for gimp 2.6 (1 for before gimp 2.6.5 and one for after).

Basically that combination works, is possible now that some component may be updated but updating a component comport test compatibility with all the others,
and in this case i do not think will give perceptible advantages,

...in some cases already tested may be more safe then "fully updated"

#80 User is offline   Anianna 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

I see. I will give Python 2.6 a try with GIMP 2.6.6 and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, I can always revert to the older files you have listed. Thanks a bunch for putting all of this together.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic