Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Python and Gimp - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Python and Gimp

#41 User is offline   capnhud 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Just wondering doesn't 2.4 already contain the GTk runtime environment?

Nvrmind
I know I'm in my own little world. But its ok. They know me HERE

#42 User is offline   journey 

• PipPip

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

Could I have an "Idiots" version on installing Python please. I downloaded the 'easy' install and I have no idea what to do with it.... the instructions are just a bunch of downloads when it says all downloads are included. Which file do I install where on my computer and do what?

How do I temporarily uninstall GIMP and move it back to re-install it? ( I don't want to have to re-download it... that would take me out of commission for way too long... it's quite the download on dial-up).
I really want the brush manager but I need to install Python for that... I have well over 2000 brushes and it's becoming a bit overwhelming to sort through.

Could someone please rewrite the directions for me with the file names on the download... and explain how to re-install GIMP from the one on my computer.

Thanks!

#43 User is offline   journey 

• PipPip

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

I take it there isn't a lot of luck installing python. That makes the plug ins written in it a little useless if they aren't accessible to the average GIMP user. Any chance the next version of GIMP will have a brush manager (or the ability to rotate brushes like photoshop)?

#44 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 28 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

.... the instructions are just a bunch of downloads when it says all downloads are included. Which file do I install where on my computer and do what?

:?: :?: what :?: HERE all download are included all installer are inside the ziphttp://photocomix-re...easier-74889017

And inside there is also the IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt with instruction to use the installers..sure you just have to click on them but in the right order and restart the PC when advised, advised not by your pC but from the instruction in the IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt file

Maybe you overlooked that download link at left side of illustration...?
if you miss it you missed the real thing :!:

Is simply as click on a installer except that you should click 5 times (and restart the computer twice )

I admit that is a while since last time i checked for updates so may be a more recent version available of some of those included in the "easy" pack, anyway that included were already tested and nobody of the more 2.000 that dowloaded from jenuary to now reported problems.

(but 1, and that 1 solved, somebody thought unneeded install also the GTK since is included in gimp... but that too is needed
python do not need only a gtk in the system ,but also need the GTK along the usual path , not inside gimp .. use only gimp gtk should be possible but only with some hacking)

#45 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 28 August 2008 - 03:04 PM

Any chance the next version of GIMP will have a brush manager (or the ability to rotate brushes like photoshop)?

for future version is planned a quite cool tagging system not only for brushes but also for gradient pattern and so on..

not sure about rotating brush but there is a lot of work going on to improve all brush system

#46 User is offline   journey 

• PipPip

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:07 PM

PhotoComix said:

.... the instructions are just a bunch of downloads when it says all downloads are included. Which file do I install where on my computer and do what?

:?: :?: what :?: HERE all download are included all installer are inside the ziphttp://photocomix-re...easier-74889017

And inside there is also the IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt with instruction to use the installers..sure you just have to click on them but in the right order and restart the PC when advised, advised not by your pC but from the instruction in the IDIOTS NEVER READ THIS.txt file

Maybe you overlooked that download link at left side of illustration...?
if you miss it you missed the real thing :!:

Is simply as click on a installer except that you should click 5 times (and restart the computer twice )

I admit that is a while since last time i checked for updates so may be a more recent version available of some of those included in the "easy" pack, anyway that included were already tested and nobody of the more 2.000 that dowloaded from jenuary to now reported problems.

(but 1, and that 1 solved, somebody thought unneeded install also the GTK since is included in gimp... but that too is needed
python do not need only a gtk in the system ,but also need the GTK along the usual path , not inside gimp .. use only gimp gtk should be possible but only with some hacking)

I'm saying the idiots versions sounds like it is written for techno geeks! Come down to the level of the average user. I unzip, so I have an unzip sitting in front of me... do I just click on the file?
So the files know where to plant themselves? Do I just click yes to everything? And how do I uninstall and reinstall GIMP? Can I stick it on a thumbdrive or something temporarily or can it stay on my computer? I've only ever installed something I downloaded or had on disk. An idiots version would be step by step and 2 pages long :P

#47 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

look i try to make it as friendly as possible, but i hope the average users may imagine how unzip a zipped file.

So if you have 7zip or iceows or most of the kind by RIGHT click on the file you should see a option as "unzip here" or "unzip in..." you may unzip where you like

then you read that instruction file that will say something as : first install python and restart the computer

and you will see there in that unzipped folder something as python-setup.exe ,you double click on the file to start the installer and ad then you restart the computer.

Ah in case you miss that point at the end you must reinstall gimp and install again but clicking the " custom " option and check to enable python.

anyway when finsished you may dump in the waste bin all that installers are no more needed

if you want revise the instructions to make them more idiot's proof you are welcome..

#48 User is offline   journey 

• PipPip

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:20 AM

So it knows where to install what where all by itself.. it's not going to ask me anything? just say it's installed and then restart... most programs ask for a pile of details before you're done installing.

I also didn't get an answer on how to uninstall and reinstall GIMP. Do I need to move it to a disk or can I leave it on the computer?

#49 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

hum...yes installer will propose a default path you do not need to change that.

About gimp it has as most of program a unistaller too...

To unistall you should go in start/control panel there you will see a install/unistall program section with all program listed

#50 User is offline   xXKIRAXx 

• PipPip

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

saw this promblem somewhere else
glad this came with a fix to it
Posted Image

#51 User is offline   bluzepher 

• PipPip

Posted 04 September 2008 - 05:05 PM

<<< Broken Link >>

pygtk, pygobject and pycairo, you can get those HERE. Make sure you get the newest versions, "towards the bottom of the lists".

Sean-Michael said:

EDIT 18/1/2008
To make life easier to Gimp windows users i prepared a pack with everything needed (installers+ how to).
Cover is not needed but i can't resist to show it here

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD LINK
http://photocomix-re...easier-74889017

Thank to Sean Michael, to Michael Shoumaker and to all others that make this possible

PhotoComix 18\1\2008
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With a bit of confusion and lack of available documentation "that I could find" I stopped by the gimp.org irc channel to ask how to get python working completely with the new 2.4 version and this is what I was told,

To get python fully working you will need 4 things,

Python 2.5, get it HERE.

pygtk, pygobject and pycairo, you can get those HERE. Make sure you get the newest versions, "towards the bottom of the lists". :w:

Now... you also need to know that the python-fu scripts go in the users directory plug-ins folder "C:\Documents and Settings\Sean-Michael\.gimp-2.4\plug-ins", not the scripts folder!

I used THIS script to test and confirm that python was working with gimp 2.4.

I'd like to add that this worked for me, using Windows XP SP2, I all ready have GTK+ Runtime environment installed at this time. Anyone with specific issues not covered please share and I'll add them to this post.

I would like to give thanks to the gimp.org irc channel for providing this information, I knew nothing about this stuff and could have shared this with out there help.

SPECIAL THANKS to SCHUMAML and ARI and our very own CRYSMAN for there help with this!

Posted Image

#52 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:05 PM

If was a link in your post it does not work
If you want advice of some updates that is fine, but please give the links.
if not i have no idea of the meaning of your telegraphic message

#53 User is offline   gasto 

• PipPip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

I am having troubles finding the Windows Installer for GIMP 2.4.5 since it seems to be the only version that is working for me to use with Python-GIMP.

Any idea where to find it. Or how to compile from source (links to tutorials)?

#54 User is offline   gasto 

• PipPip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

http://pastebin.ca/1205974

The above logfile tells me that GIMP (1.4.7) Windows installer doesn't detect Python.

2008-09-19 10:28:41.640   [Code] EnablePython	Path: 

So what really is going on, I have Python 2.5.2 Installed... All dependencies according to original thread, already installed...

#55 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

UPDATE 15 november 2008

I just update the content, to the last available versions

Note that Python can't be fully updated at the moment
The last Python version is 2.6.1 but the other libraries require Python 2.5.x ,best i can do is replace the previous version 2.5.0 with 2.5.2

Also about Python note that for windows installers are available for 3 different architectures so if you have special requirement (i.e X64 )
download it directly from the Python main side

For the rest should be no problem

#56 User is offline   gasto 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

Photocomix , you are my hero, I don't know what version of what dependency was wrong before, but now that ZIP file works for GIMP 2.6.1 !

You are amazing! Thanks for your time.

#57 User is offline   gasto 

• PipPip

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

Only problem is that some python scripts like python_fu_yinyang Cubic_patterns, Random_shapes, are not working:

"SystemError: new style getargs format but argument is not a tuple "

Others are working though.

#58 User is offline   Dochy 

• Pip

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi
Thanks for informations here. I get python-fu console by "Gimp python easy" package ;-). But there is one problem. After instalation in accordance with "Idiots never read..." and installation recommended versiion of gimp (2.4.1 i686) Gimp at start or later while I try "python-fu->console" show message "Pythonw.exe: The procedure entry point g_assertion_message could not be located in DLL libglib-2.0-0.dll" (I hope, that this is the right message, i have it in other lang.)
I found 2 version of file libglib (one in GTK/bin, second in GIMP/bin). I try to copy one version on both places temporarily and it works. Later I discover that in GTK is version 2.16.3, but in GIMP is 2.14.2. I download new glib to gimp as was admited by m_hasper here. Now it seems working

So if this is OK (maybe that I am wrong, I'm newbie in GIMP, PYTHON, GTK etc.), I suggest to update "Idiots never read.." in famous "Gimp python easy.." package ;-)
(maybe that link to new gimp could be better than DL of new glib?)

#59 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

python 2.6.x is really recent, it is no big loss if you don't have support for it yet. Python versions don't work the same as they do for gimp, new versions move the language forward, but might not always be fully backwards-compatible. I only just recently moved up from python2.4 to 2.5 myself.

That said, great job, Photocomix! I think I'll link this from the beginner tutorial; it should make that fog filter available for Windows users, right?
Griatch

#60 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

yes fog and few others script are included

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic