Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Video Tutorial: Draw an eye in GIMP in 5 minutes - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Video Tutorial: Draw an eye in GIMP in 5 minutes

#41 User is offline   snowsock 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationUndisclosed

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

Posted Image

Great tutorial :D but for somereson i notice that you seem to be able to move the brush fast and get thick lines. If i moved my brush as fast as you it would be about the size of this, - , no joke it gets really thin. What am i doing wrong in the brush options, (i use a tablet)

(i feel that the black and white version had a better blend) :)

#42 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

@snowsock

Nice eye, I like how you put some perspective in it as well. I have no real critique, possibly the iris could be made more distinct by adding more black (this depends on what kind of style you are after though).

Posting images has nothing to do with GIMPtalk or not. Just make sure you use the correct image host and link. Pictiger don't allow hotlinking full-size images, but you can link thumbnails just fine by clicking "Link Codes" under you image in Pictiger and copy&paste the code for "thumbnail for forum" into your post. All image hosts work essentially the same way.

To avoid the line getting thin when moving fast, make sure the brush dynamics for brush size is not affected by "velocity" (you find this setting in your brush tool option).

Thanks for trying the tutorial. Putting your image up in the first post's "hall of fame". :)
Griatch

#43 User is offline   inf0l 

• Pip

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for a very nice tutorial.

This is how my first eye turned out:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:40 PM

@inf0l

Welcome to GIMPtalk and thanks for trying the tutorial! I think your outcome came out well there. You could try to work some more with the smudge tool along some of the edges, they might be a little to sharp here and there, but that's a minor comment, this is well done. Hope to see more from you here, don't be a stranger!
I'm putting your nice image up in the "Hall of fame" of course. :)
Griatch

#45 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Updated the video with YouTube annotations, hopefully making it easier to follow, also if you don't have the text-tutorial to read in parallel.
Griatch

#46 User is offline   Morgana 

• Pip
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Really like this tut, it's incredibly simple and fast, thanks for posting :)

Here is my first eye lol :P
The eyebrow looks a bit strange, don't ask me what I did with the setting of the brush xD

Posted Image

Ty again ^^

#47 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

@Morgana

Sorry for the late reply; didn't see this.

It's a fine eye, looks a bit sad. :) The eyebrow is maybe a bit too low down, but otherwise I think it looks quite ok. Nice highlight in the eye too. Good job! Thanks for trying the tutorial; I'm putting this up in the hall of fame. :D
Griatch

#48 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:39 AM

Why would you get in trouble using DA image links?

Anyway, that's a cool eye! Seems you got it down. The iris is maybe somewhat distorted around the right highlight but I like that, gives the eye a slightly shifty style. :)

A note on eyelashes which is not really mentioned in the tutorial - if you think about how eyelashes actually look in 3D - they attach to the edge of the eyelid - you will find that those very long ones at the right edge of the eye would really be continuing out over the eye too (but facing us, so their angle would gradually change which is a bit a perspective problem). So in this respect this style of eye I've shown here is really a bit exaggerated.

Good job! Goes to the top!
Griatch

#49 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

@Demen

I often use the small DA image to show here, making it clickable to the main DA page. Works fine, I don't think that is forbidden, they would block that possibility in that case.

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial, good luck in your future practicing! I'm honoured to be selected as a "target" to aspire to, deserved or not. ^_^;
Griatch

#50 User is offline   kevlarflounder 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I'd first like to say, Griatch, you are a truly talented man. Second, I'd like to thank you for your wonderful tutorials, they have really helped me with my "Gimpification" abilities. Here's my attempt at your tutorial, i kinda went away from the tutorial near the end(slightly), and i smudged more than you did, but i just felt the lines i had didn't really look natural.(feedback and criticism would be greatly appreciated.)
Posted Image

#51 User is offline   Ali Roman 

• Administrator
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:48 PM

this is my test reply.
Where there's a will there's a way...

#52 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

kevlarflounder said:

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I'd first like to say, Griatch, you are a truly talented man. Second, I'd like to thank you for your wonderful tutorials, they have really helped me with my "Gimpification" abilities. Here's my attempt at your tutorial, i kinda went away from the tutorial near the end(slightly), and i smudged more than you did, but i just felt the lines i had didn't really look natural.(feedback and criticism would be greatly appreciated.)

Thanks, glad you like the tutorial and that it helped you! :D
The eye came out good I think. As you say some parts are more smudged than my version, but I wouldn't say most of it is; notably around the upper and lower eyelids you have been quite conservative with the smudging, I'd say. This perfectly fine, it's down to the style one wants. You have went with grayscales to a greater degree here; The pupil is solidly black in a real eye and even if you don't use black here, you might want to apply your darkest grey all over it except for the hilight; as it stands you have a rather strange-looking radial gradient there.

Good job with this and welcome to GimpTalk! Hope you find other interesting tutorials and threads to enjoy while you're here!
Griatch

#53 User is offline   kevlarflounder 

• Pip

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

The grayscale was actually an accident, you see i was originally doing your portrait painting tutorial, and had trouble with the eye, so i went over to this tutorial, and i forgot to change the color, and was actually too lazy to redo what i had when i finally realized it *shrug* Also, may i ask what you're referring to when you say "rather strange looking radial gradient"?(i believe you're talking about the pupil, but i'd like to make sure)

#54 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:10 AM

Yes, if you look at the pupil, it is actually a hole that absorbs most light (this is why we can see, after all). With the exception of the red-reflection you get from the back of retina in very bright light (the "red eyes" you get in flash-photos which I don't think you've been going for here), the pupil should be solid black (or in your case, the darkest grey). This will also make the look more intense and "there".

Looking forward to seeing your result on my portrait tutorial then! :mrgreen:
Griatch

#55 User is offline   Mumrik92 

• PipPip
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

Ive just bought a "Bamboo Pen and Touch" so this is my first picture made by this, and i think the tutorial is easy to follow but still give a nice result :D it's an easy starter guide if u already know some of the tools in GIMP, thank you so much Griatch :)

Here is what i got:

Posted Image
There exist 10 kinds of humans. Those who understand the binary and those who dont.

#56 User is offline   Rab Smith 

• PipPip
  • LocationScotland

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:33 PM

These EYE paintings in GIMP are so cool! So many artists struggle to get eyes looking 'right'; many novices make the eyeballs too 'staring' which is quite disturbing to the viewer.

This post has been edited by Rab Smith: 17 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

cartoon blog/archive here:

http://zoomertoonsra...h.blogspot.com/

#57 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

View PostMumrik92, on 19 March 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

Ive just bought a "Bamboo Pen and Touch" so this is my first picture made by this, and i think the tutorial is easy to follow but still give a nice result :D it's an easy starter guide if u already know some of the tools in GIMP, thank you so much Griatch :)

Here is what i got:

Posted Image

A good eye, certainly a great start for only your first try with your tablet! Looks a bit surprised. :) I'm glad the tutorial was easy to follow, an eye sounds much harder than it actually is I think. I'm putting your image up in the hall of fame up top. Good luck with your tablet!

@Rab Smith:
Yes people create really cool results with this. :D

Griatch

#58 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

Updated and fixed image to new image host.
Griatch

#59 User is offline   Jeremiah R 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Posted Image
http://cgcookie.com/...st-eye-in-gimp/

thanks for your time you put into your tuts. I only have a mouse so I haven't done too much in gimp. Your tuts are informative and easy to follow. Ive only done a couple but also because I've been trying to learn 3d at the same time. cyas

#60 User is offline   Jeremiah R 

• Pip

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostJeremiah R, on 27 January 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

http://cgcookie.com/...st-eye-in-gimp/

thanks for your time you put into your tuts. I only have a mouse so I haven't done too much in gimp. Your tuts are informative and easy to follow. Ive only done a couple but also because I've been trying to learn 3d at the same time. cyas

ps. not sure how to put my image in this reply so just did the link

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic