Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Video Tutorial: Draw an eye in GIMP in 5 minutes - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Video Tutorial: Draw an eye in GIMP in 5 minutes

#21 User is offline   Jambien 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

Hey Griatch,

Thanks for the feedback.

As they say we are our worst critics, the bigest issue I suppose had after looking at it was that I should have drawn the eyebrow the other way around. When I look at the image I see a right eye, not a left. I think it is the slight angle of the eye, it doesn't quite look right as a lefty. I am still quite happy with it though.

Oh well, it is all part and parcel of the learning curve of using both the hardware and the software.

Cheers and thanks for the warm welcome.

Jambien

#22 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

Hm, yes you are right. Turning the eyebrow around would probably fit better. Now that you mention it, the eye itself looks more like a right eye. This has to do with the folds of the eye, you have a slightly greater gathering of folds towards the right, and that is usually the inner corner of the eye.
Griatch

#23 User is offline   davidcon 

• Pip

Posted 03 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

That's my third attempt. I think it turned out really well.

One thing I don't understand is what shape of brush you used for the ink pen. I used the diamond shape, but it didn't look the same as yours did in the video.

#24 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:15 PM

@davidcon

Looking good! Nice glossiness to the eye.

You should try to work with a lower opacity to your smudge tool, the effect of your smudging is too big (you can see it on the eyelashes). I also think some more shadow under the eyelid might help improve contrast. But it's a good eye. Thanks for trying out the tutorial!

... do you think you could supply a thumbnail to your image instead (just paste the suitable text in one of the "post in forum" fields in imageshack). That way I can put it up for display in the first post without stretching the page too much. :-) Thanks.
Griatch

#25 User is offline   davidcon 

• Pip

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:39 AM

Here you go:

Posted Image

I made the changes you suggested, and also added some color.

EDIT: I made another eye. I tried to make it a bit more masculine. I also added full color. However, I kind of "cheated" a bit on the iris (rendered plasma, motion zoom blur, desaturated).

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:08 PM

Thanks. Added your first version to the top. :-)

Looking at the other one it feels like the iris is "spilling out" from the eye in the lower part of the eye -- there should be a clearer separator. Because of the lack of highlight (and rather flat colouring in general) the eye also looks a little more "dead" than your first version. It's pretty good overall feel though -- the iris itself comes out pretty nice using the motion-blur effect you mentioned.

More contrasts and more variation in colours and shades would enhance it I think. I suggest adding an eyebrow too. An easy way to make the eye more expressive.
Griatch

#27 User is offline   vero 

• Pip

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hello Griatch and everyone,

thank you so much for all these amazing tutorials. This is my first attempt at this one, and it was a great break from my work, but my eye looks .. a bit weird or sad, or it seems to look down.. i will have to do that again before i try the portrait!

thanks again for this,

VĂ©ro

Posted Image

edit: a modified version taking into accounts some comments from a friend:

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:15 AM

@vero

Looking good! You have good flow to this image, with nice contrasts. Both your versions work, I think, the second one has a little smoother transitions, but that depends on the style you're aiming for. The reason the eye looks a bit sad is because the top corner of the eye-lid fold is angled forward. Lowering this would change the eye a lot. There are definitely eyes that look like this though, so you shouldn't change anything. Thanks for trying out the tutorial; looking forward to seeing you use this in a portrait in the future. .-) I'm putting up you second version in the first post.
Griatch

#29 User is offline   Haywire 

• PipPip

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

Not very good, just starting with this stuff though!

Good tut, your outcome is awesome!
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for trying the tutorial!

You have a nice depth to your eye, and a good start with the shadows. There are a few sharp lines in he eye however that makes one wonder what they are. When using smudging it's important to uphold the balance of the image -- when mixing smooth areas with sharp lines you have to make sure the sharp lines mark some sort of boundary. Otherwise it will usually look rather strange. Here it looks like you stopped smudging too soon. It's a true danged overdoing the smudge too though, and this is better than a completely blurred image because of the depth it gets. It's a good first attempt though, and following a tutorial is just the first step anyway. I bet if you made a few more tests you'd see that you'll quickly get the hang of the remaining techniques.

I'm putting this up at the top in the hall of fame. :-)
Griatch

#31 User is offline   PivotRiot32 

• PipPip

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

hey Griach thats awesome will definetly try it soon. been at GIMP for about a month but im new to gimptalk so bare with me. i easily make mistakes in gimp lol.

EDIT: btw, my sig isnt showing up. it says "no thumbnail available" or something. plz help?
Posted Image

dont ask. ^^thats new.

#32 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:29 AM

@PivotRiot32

Welcome to GIMPtalk! Looking forward to you trying out the eye tutorial, it's great fun. Don't worry about making mistakes, that's how one learns.

As for the sig, that's a problem with ImageShack, and has nothing to do with GIMPtalk. My guess is that you have a very small image, so small that no thumbnail was created for it (since original was already so small), yet you tried to link the thumbnail code instead of the actual image code from imageshack. Other alternative could be some format issues, but I haven't heard anything about Imageshack not supporting .png:s, so it's probably the first issue.
Griatch

#33 User is offline   PivotRiot32 

• PipPip

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:17 PM

oh hey thanks will do c how it goes. And yes, its good to be here!
lol

EDIT: i can see it now, but its mini!! lol, i seem like a noob now, dont i? man...
If somebody is reading this right now, im not a noob, and youll know that when i finish the game im encoding. ill post it in general.could take a while.
Posted Image

dont ask. ^^thats new.

#34 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

@pivotriot

Looking forward to seeing that game of yours then. :-)
Griatch

#35 User is offline   PivotRiot32 

• PipPip

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

mmmm dont hold your breath (offtopic)

gonna do that eye tut ina sec...
Posted Image

dont ask. ^^thats new.

#36 User is offline   Shukaku 

• Pip

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

unfortunately, I'm left handed on a right handed mouse
Posted Image

#37 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:15 AM

Well, it's maybe worth trying anyway ... ;-)
Griatch

#38 User is offline   LIMN 

• PipPip

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:53 PM

Posted Image

I really like my result - thanks a lot griatch!

#39 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:55 PM

@LIMN

Didn't see this before. This is looking very good! You have captured the eye nicely, this is probably the result closest to the tutorial too, so far. Good job. Possibly you could try positioning the pupil slightly to the right, but its position could also be an effect of perspective. Putting this up in the "hall of fame" at the top. :-)
Griatch

#40 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

Finally got around to updating this to the new forum format as well as expand some of the instructions to be more comprehensible.
Griatch

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic