Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Video Tutorial: Draw an eye in GIMP in 5 minutes - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Video Tutorial: Draw an eye in GIMP in 5 minutes

#1 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Draw an eye in GIMP (video tutorial)

This tutorial describes how to quickly paint a rather nice looking eye in GIMP.

Posted Image

Being able to draw an eye might not sound like much, but this was what I first started learning when I began learning anatomy. Even today I can sit down and doodle an eye in my notepad when I'm bored by a lecture or something. If nothing else it's a lot cooler to doodle a proper human eye than to make some ugly stick figure with a laser gun ... ;-)

Also, it turns out that you can follow rather simple guidelines in order to make a standard, yet pretty good-looking eye. And once you learn it, it will help you a lot when drawing people -- because once you have the eyes down it's much easier to make the rest of the face. There is a full Portrait tutorial [here], but for this tutorial we stay small and fast and concentrate only on the eye. Other tutorial of mine you might want to check out if you are having trouble is my [Setting up GIMP for artistic work (Basic Airbrushing)] tutorial, or for that matter the [Beginning GIMP] tutorial if you are completely new.

This tutorial works perfectly to do with a mouse -- that's how I learned this once. A tablet works too of course, but you can definitely use the same technique using normal ink pen and paper -- that's actually great training since you cannot "undo".

Preparation and setup

You will need four tools in GIMP -- the ink pen, the airbrush, the smudge tool and the eraser. You should have [Resizeable brushes] set up properly. We will only use one brush, and that's the hard-edged, round one.

We will use one colour from the palette only -- black. If you need to add white, use the eraser to bring forward the background. We will work on one layer only -- a transparent layer on top of the white standard background.

It's strongly recommended that you learn the keyboard shortcuts for the various tools. You don't want to move the cursor away from the canvas more than nesessary.

• Ink pen (shortcut k) -- This you will use to make all outlines. For the sake of this tutorial the ink pen replaces the brush tool for all "opaque" painting (with full black). Set a 45 degree angled round tip, set size to 2.2 and the opacity to 80% .
    For tablet users:The ink tool is a very versatile instrument when using a tablet. Set all sensitivities to 1.0 for the sake of this tutorial. If you have tilt sensitivity, make the pen tip a perfect circle instead -- angling the pen will create the fountain-pen effect anyway.

• Airbrush (shortcut a) -- This tool is used to create all shades in and around the eye. Note that you don't need to change the colour in the palette to create grey -- just let the opacity of the airbrush work for you. See the [Basic] and [Advanced] airbrushing tutorials on more info on this. Set the opacity of the airbrush to 20% (!), the rate to 80% and the pressure to 10%.
    For tablet users: Set all sensitivities except colour. Use an opacity of 80% instead, remember to use a light hand to apply the strokes.

• Smudge tool (shortcut s) -- This tool works like pulling existing colour on the canvas, a little like dragging your finger in wet paint. It's essential in order to create smooth blending without using any filters. In order to achieve more subtle effects for this tool, you need to lower the effect of it. Set the opacity to 50% and the rate to 50 too. (no settings are different for tablet users)

• The eraser (shorcut Shift+E) -- This is a very important paint tool in its own right. You will use it to bring forward the white of the image. To make it more nuanced, set the opacity to 80%.
    For tablet users: Set sensitivity to opacity, you will find the eraser becomes much more useful (although harder to handle) that way. Be ready to turn off this sensitivity now and then when you really want to erase something completely.

Work process (Youtube video, 5 minutes 7 seconds)

An idea is to pause the video repeatedly, to really see what's going on.

Link to fullsize video (5 minutes, 7 seconds)

Explanations

Hopefully the video is self-explanatory, but here is a quick summary of the steps. Ask in this thread if something is unclear.

• Use the ink tool to sketch the basic structure of the eye. As you can see it's really a rather simple "cliché" eye that we start with.
  • Place the highlights in the eye (you will find I relocate these later). Note how much black I put inside the eye, under the eyelid. This is important for the final effect.
  • Use the airbrush to apply shades around the eyelids and also inside the eye. Use the opacity of the airbrush to get gradients.
  • Use the smudge tool to blend the shades together into smooth gradients.
  • Use the ink and eraser tool to reposition the highlights and adjust it.
  • Smudge the black outlines lines into the shades using the smudge tool. Work in short strokes, along the ink lines, gradually angling off from them to smudge them gradually into the background.
  • Finish off with final checks and adjustments with whatever tools fits best.

Summary

Hopefully trying this a few times will soon let you have the basic form down. It should make it easy for you to adjust the angles and corners of the eye to make it e.g. male (remove eyelashes) or asian (fold in inner corner of eye) or ... or whatever you want to make.
Of course, this is not a perfectly realistic eye, and it was not intended to be. This type of more simplified style works fine for most styles of character art, from concept art to comics (most comics are actually a lot simpler in style than this). But it is certainly not photo-realistic either. If you want super-realism you could easily build from this though, by refining it with finer lines, placing individual eye lashes, reducing the heavy mascara etc. The idea here is to get you going, how far you take it is up to you!

I'm looking forward to seeing people try this, it's really a quick doodle that you, with little training, can make look good. It also works very well to do with good old pen and paper.
Griatch

-----

Results from the thread:

Louise:
Posted Image Posted Image

~X~:
Posted Image

Jambien:
Posted Image

davidcon:
Posted Image

vero:
Posted Image

haywire:
http://i221.photobuc...16/tsjp/eye.jpg (big image size)

LIMN:
Posted Image

snowsock:
Posted Image

inf0l:
Posted Image

DSilver:
Posted Image

Morgana:
Posted Image

Demen:
Posted Image

Mumrik92:
Posted Image

kevlarflounder:
Posted Image

Jeremiah R:
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Darkburger 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

Haha, looks like the video tutorial craze may be catching ;)

Right now I'm running on my new PC (YAY!) So I dont have Gimp yet, but I'll get it and do this tut soon.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:09 AM

@Darkburger

Punkie requested in the GIMPtalk chat that I produce some sort of video in order to see how I apply smudge and blurring. So I did. Got to learn a new program too, for capturing the whole thing. Looking forward to you trying it out!
Griatch

#4 User is offline   Louise 

• PipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:48 PM

i might not be good but i find it fun doing this ^_^ kinda went onto my own thing after id drawn it

using mouse, got a sugar rush and listening to really bouncy music

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
^CLICK^

#5 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

@Louise

Hey -- that's very nice! I have no real criticism to come with concerning that first eye or its coloured version! You have good use of shading there.

The other one is a bit strange if it was meant to be an eye seen from the front. If it's a person looking to the side you should consider moving the iris a bit to the left -- it's protruding outside the edge of the eye and you can't do that unless you're seriously bug-eyed.

Or maybe it's meant to be an eye from the side (that is, the person is really looking straight ahead, but we see it from the side)? If so it's a cool view, but we see way too much white.The eye globe is spherical, imagine how big it must be if the eyelids left so much space open on both sides (yes, there should be as much open on the other side too).
The shading is dramatical and powerful though, that bit is very well done. One can see you had fun! :-D

You have the technique down already I think. Doodling a few eyes like this now and then is very good exercise.

Thanks for trying the tutrorial! I'm putting your images up in the first post for everyone to be impressed by. :-)
Griatch

#6 User is offline   Louise 

• PipPip

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

yes the second is from the side i was just experimenting and failed a bit, and i love shading, thats one of the things i like about your tutorials, they give lots of chances to shade and highlight ^_^

thank you for the comments on my attempts

another one trying a couple of other things with it, another side one, dark n evil, did it in opposite colours then inverted it
Posted Image
Posted Image
^CLICK^

#7 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:10 AM

Cool to see you experimenting with it. That one looks better anatomically. Glad you are enjoying the eye-drawing! Keep at it.
Griatch

#8 User is offline   Darkburger 

• PipPip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Just wanted to let you know I havent forgotten bout this. But stupid YouTube is being a bugger, refuses to loead the video, will edit this post when done though....
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

@Darkburger

The video works fine here at least. :-)

#10 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

@Louise

Just noticed that sig you have! Wow, I'm flattered!
Griatch

#11 User is offline   ~X~ 

• PipPip

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:43 PM

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

@~X~

Good job! A nice looking eye.

The only critique I have is that the colour could be applied more smoothly -- you could work more with the smooth tool at low opacity to achieve that. A nice blue iris though, I think you have a perfect level of detail in it. Thanks for trying out the tutorial!

I'm putting this up at the top. :-)
Griatch

#13 User is offline   Gus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

Awesome, gotta try this soon!

#14 User is offline   AliNaqi 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:51 PM

thx a lot
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   chillymac 

• PipPip

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:39 AM

are u useing the a computer mouse?????/
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Undra 

• PipPip

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:42 AM

i failed miserabley :c: :s: :s: i suck with those tools
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

@chillymac

are u useing the a computer mouse?????

I used a tablet, but for this image, that's pretty irrelevant. As said in the tutorial, this works excellently with a mouse too.

@Undra

i failed miserabley i suck with those tools

Well, that's why it's called a tutorial, so that you can learn and train "those tools". Try again if it didn't work, and put up your attempts for comments. That's the only way to learn and improve.
Griatch

#18 User is offline   Jambien 

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post at this site, and although I have had GIMP on my computer for a while, my first real try at it. I tried to stick to the rules, although I probably took ten minutes. I only got my graphics tablet yesterday so some of the lines are a bit off, but I don't think it is too bad.

I would like to thank Griatch for all of his tutorials, they have been very informative for the types of art I hope to produce.

Cheers

Okay, a little help please. I uploaded my image but nothing?- sweet, got it

Posted Image

Thanks again Griatch

#19 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:17 AM

@Jambien

Welcome to the site and thanks for the kind words!

You have to supply the link to the graphic in your post. If you uploaded it to an image host (like imageOx, pictiger or similar) there will often be a text string identified as "Use this code for forums" or similar which you can just copy and paste directly in here.

To do it manually, make sure "Enable LBcode" selected, then use this format:

http://www.address.to.your.image.jpg

To show a small ("thumbnail") image in your post that you can click on to see the large version (preferred since it speeds loading), use this format (this is called an image link or also a "clickable thumbnail"):

http://www.address.to.thumbnail.image.jpg

Griatch

#20 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:13 AM

@Jambien

Looking good! Nice to see a male eye too. I have very little to complain about this, your eye would fit well into a more complex image like a full portrait. Possibly you could work more shadows into the eye (under the eyelid) to give it more depth, but this of course depends on where the light comes from. Good job and welcome again to the forum. Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you in the future. :-)

I'm adding your thumb to the top "hall of fame".
Griatch

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic