Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Make Moving Fire - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Make Moving Fire

#1 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

To make this you will need a very basic understanding of the workings of GIMP, as well as have GAP.
Download GAP here.

This has been made after many tweaks and changes from this tutorial, anything related to that tutorial on this tutorial I give him credit for (This includes the main method of fire creation and the colors) I also give much credit to ccbarr for finding a way to keep an even and never skipping fire :)

In this tutorial we are going to be making the following:
Posted Image

First create a new 500x100 transparent image
Posted Image

Then set the foreground color to #ff8400 (orange) and the background color to #000000 (black)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Then select the gradient tool on "The GIMP" window, use the gradient 'FG to BG (RBG)' and make a gradient from the very bottom to the very top of the Background layer.
Posted Image

Now, make a new window (File -> New). Use the parameters 500x200.
Posted Image

Go to Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Solid Noise and use the following settings on the Layer you just created.
Posted Image

Now Create another Layer just like the last one, but this time named "Upper Flame".
Do another Solid Noise, Filters -> Render -> Clouds -> Solid Noise, using the following Settings.
Posted Image

OPTIONAL:this is what I did, it isn't necessary but I think it makes it look better. Select the upper flame layer and go to Layer -> Colors -> Colorize and click on the 'Hue' bar, and send it about halfway between the middle and the right side, to give the fire a redder look. For the reddest effect push that bar all the way to the right

Now, increase the canvas size from 500x200 to 500x400. To do that go to Image -> Canvas Size. Click on the little chain on the right of the canvas parameters, and then change the '200' to '400', like so:
Posted Image

Now go back to the Upper Flame layer, duplicate it, and move the duplicated one down 200 pixels. You can tell how far down it is moved by a little bar on the bottom of the screen. After moved, merge the layer down. Do the same thing with the Lower Flame layer.
Posted Image

Create a New folder (preferably on your desktop) and name it Fire.
Posted Image

Remember the window with the gradient? Open it back up, save it as Fire_000001.xcf in your new folder Fire, and then go to Video -> Duplicate Frames. For 'n times', push the bar to 29. You can add more for better quality, and you would just shorten the frame length, but I don't recommend this since the fire you're making is almost a megabyte in size anyways.
Posted Image

Now go to Video -> Move Path. For the Source Image/Layer menu, change it to the "Lower Flame" we made earlier. On the bottom, select Instant Apply. Change the Stepmode to none, and then click on Add Point. Change the Y position to -200. Set the Mode to Overlay. Your menu should now look like this:
Posted Image

Now do the exact same thing with your Upper flame, only this time set the Mode to dodge.

What you want now is to save your frames as an image so it can be uploaded on the internet :D
To do this, go to Video -> Frames To image using the following settings. Note: the (41ms) can be changed to a lower number to make it faster or a higher number to make it slower.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Now that you have your frames all nicely stacked into on file, let's animate it :). Save the file as Fire.gif in your Fire folder.
Posted Image

Make sure to save the animation as, well, an animation.
Posted Image

And finally, to waste your time further, the last window to take care of :P
Posted Image

Thanks for using my tutorial! Please post your results, this is my first tutorial so there might be a few mistakes. Please point them out ^_^
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   KITM 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:52 PM

Amazing job, that fire looks very nice. I'll get around to trying this out, for sure.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Stubborn 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:51 PM

How do you set the foreground and background colors? I made 2 new layers. One i selected foreground color and made that orange. Then I made the other BG and colored it black. Then when I select the gradient, do I go to blend? Or do I go to something else? >.< Cuz when I use blend, it blends it from white to black and not orange to black :[
Latest:
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Orton5000 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

Great job on the tut. I'm not into animating so might not make
Posted Image
XXxx_GoD of WaR_xxXX

#5 User is offline   Afrochicken14 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

Cool Tutorial, would make an excellent sig. I'll try maybe later.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Stubborn 

• PipPip

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

Ok, I finally figured out my foreground/background problem. Now I'm up to the video part. Where do I find the video section you've shown? :s:
Latest:
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

you have to download GAP. To download it, click here
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   KITM 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:46 AM

My result:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:50 AM

KITM yours seams more realistic than mine.. I think mine might just be too fast. Either way, pretty cool I kind of wish I knew how to fix that prob where the last frame and the first frame have the problem with looking very different :|
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   KITM 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:26 AM

KITM yours seams more realistic than mine.. I think mine might just be too fast. Either way, pretty cool I kind of wish I knew how to fix that prob where the last frame and the first frame have the problem with looking very different :|

Yeah, I tried to fix that problem with my everlasting resourcefulness, but the only way I found to blend the end with the start is to duplicate every layer in reverse so that the animation plays the layers normally, then plays them in reverse so that the end matches up with the start on the loop. Suffice to say, the reversed animation looked retarded, so I got rid of it.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Stubborn 

• PipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

i noticed it skips. I guess theres no way to prevent it from this?

Oh, and when I downloaded that, nothing happened. I went to the start menu and all, but nothing showed up :[
Latest:
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:02 AM

Very good tutorial ash44455666. Thank you for posting it. :h:

I was able to determine how to make the flame smooth rather than having the problem with the mismatched frames. I give credit here to an old user whom I haven't seen on gimptalk a long time named fencepost. Check out his site at http://fence-post.deviantart.com. In particular check out his animated snow tutorial. That cold and snowy tutorial helped me to realize how to get the nice smooth animation for the hot flames. :l:

Here is my result (dialup users please note this is almost a megabyte in size for a short 29 frame animation unfortunately, my apologies):

Posted Image

This animation will be great for use in videos.

I did make some alterations to your tutorial ash44455666. First, I named the 500x100 image with just the gradient background_000001.xcf and then ran duplicate frames (not duplicate continue) and used a value of 29 for N Times in the Duplicate Frames window and pressed OK, giving me a total of 30 frames to work with (probably could have even gone with 15 or maybe 10 total frames, dunno, will have to experiment a bit with that).

Then I created a second image window size 500x200. Added my first layer and did the solid noise rendering on that layer and named it Lower Flame, with the exception that I left the mode of that Layer to Normal.

Added a second Transparent Layer to that 500x200 image and again did the solid noise on it as you showed in your tutorial, using similar values, and named it Upper Flame, but again, I left the Layer Mode at Normal.

Then, I changed the canvas size (Image | Canvas Size) from 500x200 to 500x400 (you need to click on the little chain icon so you can independently change the Height without effecting the Width) and then clicked OK in that window without making any other adjustments there.

Now, I first made sure Upper Flame was the active Layer and then duplicated that layer. I then used the move tool with my mouse (you may prefer your keyboard method) to move the duplicate layer 200 units down in that image with my mouse (if you watch in the lower right portion of the image window, an indicator tells you how many units left/right and up/down you are moving your layer. Once I moved it into position, I then did a Merge Down (Layer | Merge Down), merging it with the Upper Flame layer.

Then I made the Lower Flame layer active, duplicated it and moved the duplicate layer down 200 units and then Merged it down onto the original Lower Flame Layer.

I then returned to background_000001.xcf and ran Video | Move Path

In that window, I selected the Lower Flame Layer from the Source Image/Layer drop down box, and there I set it's Mode to Overlay. Step Mode needs to be set at None. I always make sure I have selected Instant Apply box towards the bottom of that window. You will then have to click on the Add Point button and then change the Y value to -200. You can run a preview of the animation by pressing AnimPreview button. Then close out the preview and small image window that gets created and select Don't Save. Press OK in the Move Path window and you have your Lower Flame added.

Then from that same background_000001.xcf window again run Video | Move Path. This time for your Source Image/Layer, select Upper Flame, and change it's Mode to Divide. Step Mode again is set to None. Instant Apply checked. Click Add Point and again change your Y value to -200. You can then preview with the AnimPreview button.(I always do as a precaution in case I didn't set something right, and since undoing things with GAP, while not impossible, is not trivial). Then after previewing and closing out preview and the little image that get's created and selecting Don't Save, you can click OK in the Move Path window. This now adds your Upper Flame.

I'll leave it as an exercise for you to figure out why I used the Y values that I did in each Move Path.

Next you run Video | Frames to Image. However, only accept frames 1 through 29, not 1 through 30. If you accept 1 through 30, your animation will stop momentarily at the end of each cycle because frames 1 and 30 are identical (I leave it as an exercise for you to figure out why). Also, I slowed down the speed of the animation some by changing the speed from 41ms (default value in the Frames To Image window) to 66ms. Your preferences may vary there.

Continue on as per your tutorial from there.

That is my workaround to get a smoothly burning flame. It's really quite easy once you get the hang of it. Hope this helps some. Thank you again for posting this very good tutorial. :h:

Edit: After some experimenting, I managed to use only 10 frames (then subracted one in the Frames to Image window to make a total of 9 frames for the animation at a speed of 120ms per layer) producing a much smaller file size (around 290K):

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 03:10 AM

Oh, and when I downloaded that, nothing happened. I went to the start menu and all, but nothing showed up :[

Stubborn, when you downloaded the zip file, did you unzip it (using whatever application that you use to unzip files) and then run the installer ? After double-clicking and running the installer, you should then close your Gimp and when you reopen it, you will now have a Video heading in all of your Image windows. You will now have GAP installed. :h:

#14 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

@ccbar
Very good work! I'd put it into my tutorial but technically it's your work O_O
Can I edit my tut and replace with your method? I would make sure to credit you, just tell me what you'd want me to say :P
about to test your way, I'm not exactly an expert at GAP
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   ccbarr 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:30 AM

Very good work! I'd put it into my tutorial but technically it's your work O_O
Can I edit my tut and replace with your method? I would make sure to credit you, just tell me what you'd want me to say

Thank you ash44455666. You've already credited me in your post that I quoted. You began the tutorial, and I added to it in the spirit of open source that Gimp itself is based on. If you could credit user fencepost here and give a link back to his site at http://fence-post.deviantart.com, that would be great, since it was recalling his snow tutorial that really helped me to get this animation smooth.

If you can follow my instructions and you can then adjust your tutorial to reflect those changes (along with additional/revised screenshots), I would say you are looking at having a great tutorial here on gimptalk. I'm already imagining the cool things to use this with in both animation and video. :l:

If you have any questions about my methods, feel free to ask for clarifications. If I'm not here, there are others here who are good with GAP also.

Thank you again ash44455666. :h:

#16 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

I edited the tut to have your effect ccbarr. Now a very effective fire tutorial is on the forums :h:
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Stubborn 

• PipPip

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:57 AM

Ok I'll see if it works and edit this after I try it ^_^
Latest:
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 26 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

I made a small bug fix where a couple things weren't displayed right on the picture for the settings for Video -> Move Path.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Leprechaun 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Nice, good tut.

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   ash44455666 

• PipPip
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

Sorry about bumping such an old thread, but it seemed this was somewhat important.

It seems, to my surprise, someone was awesome enough to create a script based off this tutorial! I haven't tried it myself as of yet, but it's pretty neat someone's done this; that, and as a script, it is easier/quicker to use than following a tutorial.

http://fence-post.deviantart.com/art/GI ... t-84921148

He was also nice enough to link back to my tutorial in the description. ^^
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic