Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Tutorial: How to create a 3D room - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tutorial: How to create a 3D room

#1 User is offline   MJF 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:17 AM

Hi, this is my first tutorial. I noticed that there are no tutorials (at least that I could find) that explained how to make a image that looks likea 3D room. So, I decided to do it.

This tutorial will explain how to create a room in 3D using GIMP.

Step 1. Create new image 500x150, white background.

Step 2. Create a new transparent layer.

Step 3. Select the pencil tool, Circle 1x1 brush, and draw three lines something like in the picture. The trick to this is imagining what you want to make 3D and then drawing the outline. In this case we're trying to make a 3D room with two walls and a floor. Make sure you blur the lines with a Gaussian blur of 1 or 2 pixels. I didn't do this until later in the tutorial. If you look close you can find where I did it. Oops!

Posted Image

Step 4. Create a new layer, title it “floor". Select the Paths tool (B), and draw a path around the floor. Then select “Create selection from path".

Posted Image

Step 5. Select the gradient tool and make sure your foreground color is black. Make sure the gradient settings set like in the picture.

Posted Image

Step 6. Now fill the selection with a gradient from top to bottom.

Posted Image

Step 7. Create a new layer and title it “back wall", then create a selection using paths, and fill it from bottom to top.

Posted Image

Step 8. Create a new layer titled “right wall", selection for the right-side wall, and fill that from top to bottom as well, but at an angle. Make sure that there is an even amount of white space parallel to the line between the floor and right-hand wall. You may have to experiment a little bit to get it right.

Posted Image

Step 9. Merge the three gradient layers into one layer. Then apply a Gaussian Blur of 50 on the layer.

Posted Image

Step 10. Create a new layer, title it “color". Fill this layer with the dominant color that you want to use in your image, and then set the layer mode to Burn.

Posted Image

Step 11. Create another new layer and title this “floor pattern". Create a rectangular selection like in the picture, then fill it with a pattern of your choice. I chose one with a stone theme. Set this layer to Overlay.

Posted Image

Step 12. Now, select the Perspective tool (Shift+P) and grab the upper right hand corner of the box. Drag it to the point where the three panels/walls/floor meet. Now it should look like this.

Posted Image

Step 13. The back wall is the easiest of the three because all you have to do is select it with the rectangular tool and fill it with a pattern of your choice. Before that though, create a new layer and title it “back wall pattern". Create your selection, fill it with a pattern and set the layer mode to Overlay.

Posted Image

Step 14. Create a new layer and title this “right wall pattern". Make a selection like in the picture, fill it with your pattern of choice, and set layer mode to overlay.

Posted Image

Step 15. Now select the perspectives tool and drag the lower right-hand corner to the point where the three panels/walls/floor intersect. It should look something like this now.

Posted Image

To make the features of each panel stand out, duplicate the “floor pattern", “back wall pattern", and “right wall pattern" layers and set their modes to overlay, screen, dodge, or soft light depending on what you like. I set “floor pattern copy" to soft light, “back wall pattern copy" to dodge, and the right wall copy to burn. It's totally up to you, since it should look good to you.

Step 16. Do Alpha to Selection on “floor pattern", then create a new layer titled “floor clouds" above “floor pattern copy". Render solid noise.

Posted Image

Step 17. Now go to Layers -> Colorize and play with the setting until you get a color you like. I set the saturation to full. Set “floor clouds" mode to either hard light or dodge. I chose dodge.

Posted Image

Step 18. Repeat the last step for the back wall and the right side wall, making sure the solid noise is above the layer and layer copy. I set both back wall and right wall solid noise layers to hard light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I changed the color on the floor because I didn't like the previous color. That's ok, all I did was redo the cloud layer to get a color I liked better.

Posted Image

Ok, now we're finished! You can add whatever you like to the image and tweak the settings. I think I made the color too dark, this tutorial works well with bright colors like orange, and so on.

Posted Image

There you have it! A 3D room! You can add a render for example to fill the space, or whatever you like.

Thanks for reading, I hope this tutorial is helpful!

#2 User is offline   phill 

• PipPip

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:40 AM

8/10 I think its great!

Though the only thing I may add on is slightly better textures, [Tile floor instead of stone] And a better wallpaper as well as lighting effects to make the room more realistic.

Though, all in all, I still think its a wonderful tutorial.

#3 User is offline   Ali Imran 

• Owner
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 12 November 2005 - 01:42 AM

This is very nice tutorial, and is of my interest especially. So moved to official illustrated tutorials + submitted to pixel2life tut list.
I have been planning to write one of this sort with different techniques, but never got time.

Great to have you on gimptalk MJ.

regards

#4 User is offline   MJF 

• PipPip

Posted 12 November 2005 - 02:07 AM

8/10 I think its great!

Though the only thing I may add on is slightly better textures, [Tile floor instead of stone] And a better wallpaper as well as lighting effects to make the room more realistic.

Though, all in all, I still think its a wonderful tutorial.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

I realize there's much room for improvement on my part, and the wallpaper/floor are good examples on what could be improved by readers. The color and lighting could also use work. If you take a look at my sig, it's a good example of what bright colors can do combined with this tutorial.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DeviantArt Gallery

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   newgimp 

• PipPip

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

yay i did it kinda took me a while but i did it yay anyways i was wondering when drawing the lines for the room can i use gfig? for the drawing
Posted Image
check it out :)

#6 User is offline   MJF 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 03:09 AM

newgimp, that looks pretty good. Um, not sure what you mean by gfig, but all you need to do is draw a few straight lines for your outline. Pretty simple for that step.
My DeviantArt Gallery

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   newgimp 

• PipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:20 AM

gfig is a tool that like makes straight lines for you in gimp. i kinda missed up allot but later to day i am going to make another one

btw that was a great tut

#8 User is offline   Herumtreiber 

• PipPip

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:50 AM

dude, great tut, looks like you worked hard on it, when i find a render to use for it ill be sure to post my result

#9 User is offline   Big Gimpin9 

• Pip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:10 AM

nice tutorial. I will try it sometimes and post up my results.

#10 User is offline   Gimp Goers 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

Nice tut!

#11 User is offline   evilkitty 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:47 PM

Very nice tut..i think i know what i am gonna be doing tonight with gimp:l:

#12 User is offline   booler 

• PipPip

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:23 PM

Is there way to do this with another too besides the pencil? I can not make any straight lines. Also, is there a way to do this just for one side, like one wall? I am very non adaptive, sorry :(

#13 User is offline   MJF 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:29 AM

Oh my word, I'm so sorry Booler, I don't know how so much time went by and I didn't notice your post. I think I was off Gimptalk for a few weeks during your post. Hopefully it's not too late to reply!

You can try the Paths tool to make your straight lines. Remember though, I just pretty much drew the lines to make a rough outline of the room. To draw a straight line with the path tool:

1. Click on the start point of the line
2. Click again at the end point
3. In the Paths dialog box, click "stroke path", and select how wide you want the line to be. Try anywhere from 1-3 pixels.

Again, I'm so sorry I was late! Hope this helsp you out!
My DeviantArt Gallery

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   willman 

• PipPip

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

Very nice tutorial... this was one of my images I started with using Gimp a week ago...

Posted Image

Thanks for the tut.

#15 User is offline   Otu 

• PipPip

Posted 15 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

Nice but you could do better with perspective tool :w:

here is mine (its kinda crap done in 5min or so)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   stefcho_94 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:09 PM

A really good tutorial and easy to follow and easy to make A.K.A not complicated.
Posted Image
I know, I'm good :)

#17 User is offline   Otu 

• PipPip

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

isn't my 3D disco nice :s:
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Otu 

• PipPip

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:25 AM

you can easily draw straight lines by: Select pencil and then click once to the point where you want to start the line and then press shift down and click to where you want to end that line and then release shift.
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   MJF 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

That 3D disco room is pretty cool...if you added more shadows and depth to it, and maybe tweaked the colors it would be awesome!
My DeviantArt Gallery

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Blazeboy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:02 PM

I prefer bumpmapping to patterns but tt ends with a similar effect. I'm trying to figure out how to make a carpet now.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic