Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: 3 Ways to Put an Image in Your Text - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 Ways to Put an Image in Your Text

#21 User is offline   gymnart 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:10 AM

Thank you! :l:

#22 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:30 AM

I've just noticed a slight little glitch in the "punched out text" segment of this tutorial.

When you add the "inner shadow" to the text, a shadow is also added in the same direction to the outside of the layer. This isn't noticeable unless you move your "drop shadow layer". Grab the "Move layers" tool (4-headed arrow) and click/drag the "drop shadow layer" in the opposite direction as the shadow, and you'll see what I mean.

If you don't plan on moving your text after you create it, no big deal. But, if you later decide you want to move the text, you can either re-create it

or

[*]Make your "drop shadow layer" active
[*]Go to Layer -->Crop Layer

Problem solved! This crops the layer to the same size as the other layers.

Art

#23 User is offline   BR7 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:03 PM

I got it some what need to work on it more
Edit: I see what I did wrong i didn't cut out the text

#24 User is offline   BR7 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:47 AM

Posted Image
OK I got it now
thanks fencepost

#25 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:46 AM

Glad to see you got it! BTW, what's the name of the font you used?

Art

#26 User is offline   BR7 

• PipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:13 AM

I used seabird heavy SF bold

#27 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

Thanks, BR. Downloaded it last night.

A

#28 User is offline   The Pipper 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:55 PM

ok. im having some problems, can yo help me?
alright, so i do every thing correctly untill i reach the part where i have to invert (CTRL-I) then make the background active then get rid of it by pressing CTRL-K. after i have pressed CTRL-K the background dissapears but the outline of the background i wanted to be in the text dose not appeare at all. if by any mirical i did something wrong, please tell me.

#29 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:13 PM

Hey, Pipper. Welcome to the boards!

You're correct that something's not right with the tutorial. It took me the longest time to figure out why my instructions weren't complete. Then I remembered that this was made using an older version of GIMP and text layers were handled a little differently under that version. So, my instructions used to be correct, but under the new version, they're not. I'll modify the tutorial to be correct later on, but all you need to do is just turn off the original text layer (click the eyeball) and your image should be outlined in the shape of the text.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention and sorry for the confusion. Let me know if you need additional information.

Art

#30 User is offline   ham 

• PipPip

Posted 08 August 2005 - 04:49 PM

couldnt you get the same results by following this process:

1. create new layer(make it black)
2. create text you want (make it white)
3. merge the text onto the black layer
4. bump map the text onto your picture(filters, map, bumpmap)
5.select the layer that's been bummapped, and add a layer mask, select white or full opacity
6. copy and paste the layer with white text on black into the layer mask and anchor it

(that process is also found in a tutorial on gimp.org)

#31 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:36 PM

Probably so. Those were the 3 ways I knew at the time I wrote the tutorial. Since then, I've found that there are many ways to do the same thing in GIMP.

Thanks for the input.

a

#32 User is offline   bigman_4891 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

[EDITED - OOps i didnt read the messages above .. lol sorry ! you can ignore this message if you want]

Some problem here ....

1. Opened the picture (Mothresize.jpg) and its layout palatte.

2. I added the text by typing "tsnid" on center of the image and I set its settings (font: arial, color: black, size: 55px).

3. On the layout palatte, I right-clicked it and selected "Alpha to Selection." Nothing happened .. (screenshot below) I decided to continue anyway, I then selected the text and I pushed both ctrl and i buttons at the same time in order to invert the text with image. Seems it didn't work on my case.. I then selected the background layout and pushed both ctrl and k buttons .. backgound is now gone but the text remains same as before.

I've included a screenshot image of history listing in case you need it for to figure out what I've done wrong.

History

#33 User is offline   Shamgar 

• Pip

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:01 PM

Sorry you had difficulty with the tutorial, but was glad you were able to resolve it.

You've probably figured out the answer to number 5 above, but just to clarify for anyone else that might not be aware, the Alpha to Selection option will select everything on a layer that is not transparent. For this tutorial, when you perform that step on the text layer it selects the outline of your text. If you performed that instruction on layer without transparency, it wouldn't select anything.

So, in step 5 when you are told to Invert the Selection, the computer will now select everything not previously selected. Then you just delete the background layer (Ctrl-k) and proceed.

Hope that clarified and hope you found the tutorial enlightening, albeit a little frustrating at first. I'll try to cover a little more material in future tutorials.

As a side note, later today, I'll be adding a second portion to this thread: Punched out text! Very easy to follow.

See ya, Art!

I am trying to follow your tutorial and I am lost. I am using Gimp 2.2 and I don't see an Alpha to Selection option. It would be nice if you would consistently put all the keyboard commands into the tutorial for clarification purposes. My pet peeve are gimp tutorials that leave out steps . . . and leave people in the dark.

#34 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2005 - 11:16 PM

I am trying to follow your tutorial and I am lost. I am using Gimp 2.2 and I don't see an Alpha to Selection option. It would be nice if you would consistently put all the keyboard commands into the tutorial for clarification purposes. My pet peeve are gimp tutorials that leave out steps . . . and leave people in the dark.

Welcome to the boards, Shamgar!

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I hope I do better in the future.

Step #3 specifically states "Right-click on the the text layer and choose "Alpha to Selection"

Here's an animated graphic to help you out a bit:

Posted Image

BTW, since we're sharing pet peeves, I'll share two of mine:

[*]People who don't follow instructions and
[*]People who complain on their first post about the effort that someone else has put into creating a tutorial.

Again, welcome.

Art (fencepost)

#35 User is offline   Socom2player 

• PipPip

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image
ehehehe

those 30 drustrating minutes paid off

#36 User is offline   alaph 

• Pip

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:08 PM

damn fence-post you are the man.
I had the same problem with not knowing to delete the text layer (learned to read through the whole thread, not just main post) but I finally got it. And you showed me some new scriptfu stuff to. I'm loving your tuts man

hmmm cant get my example to upload
scaled the image down and still nothing, might be firefox, not sure.
Posted Image

got it :l:

#37 User is offline   neopetaddictor 

• PipPip

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:09 AM

thanks

#38 User is offline   Herumtreiber 

• PipPip

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:13 AM

Where can i download fonts

dafont.com has a HUGE selection of free fonts, and Fencepost, this is a great tut, i love the color to alpha technique

#39 User is offline   GIMPFanatic 

• PipPip

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:49 AM

Nice tut , dude. I'll try it as soon as I get my computer with GIMP on it.

#40 User is offline   Phate 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

i had a problem starting out on this but then i figured it out fast due to some other post that people had said they had a simliar problem. there is one thing i cant get figured out is the free type stuff. i find a site to get fonts but i couldnt add them to gimp fro some reason so can anyone clear this up fro me? thanx

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic