Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: multilayer TIFF files and GIMP - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

multilayer TIFF files and GIMP

#1 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hello everyone.
I am trying to make the transition over to GIMP from PS, but am encountering a problem.
A multilayer TIFF file sent to me by an associate is unable to be opened in its "layered" form on GIMP.
I can see the flattened image fine, its the layers I need access to, though.

Can anyone direct me to a fix for this?

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:16 PM

The GIMP has the capability of opening multi-layered TIFF files; if you are experiencing problems, perhaps you would be able to post a link to your file. If your file complies with the TIFF standard and the GIMP fails to open it, I imagine that the developers would be interested in remedying this. You might also be able to use the 'tiffsplit' program to convert your image into multiple files and then load them into the GIMP (using "Edit->Open as Layer(s)").

The GIMP does not currently have the ability to save multi-paged TIFFs but the HUGIN plug-in will permit you to do that.
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#3 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

Saul,

Thanks for the reply.
I think the problem could be tht the original multi-layered TIFF file was created in Photoshop?
When I open it with PS, I see all the layers.
When I open it with GIMP I see only one flat layer.

Ill try to link to the file if I can find a place to host it...

#4 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:37 PM

heres the file:

http://www.filelodge...layer%20fix.tif

Again, when I open it with PhotoShop, its a multilayer TIF.
When opened with GIMP it is not.

#5 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:39 AM

Your file host seems to only permit JavaScript access to the file and I am unable to download the file in its raw form (if it loads into my JS helper app, I do not see multiple layers because it is doesn't support that or the file is anomalous).

If you wish, you could e-mail the file to me (PM sent with address).
Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself it's not fun, it's entertainment.

#6 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

Kevin,

I received your file and all evidence seems to point to it being a single-page TIFF. I have tried a multitude of programs to verify this. I think you should re-examine how your file is being exported from Photoshop; making sure that there was no "merge to single layer" option chosen (and also verify that PS can export multilayer TIFFs; though I suspect it does).

#7 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:42 PM

i opened with photoshop ..i see only 1 layer

PS saulgoode your inbox is full

#8 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

saul,

I am looking at the layers right now in PS. On the off chance I sent you the wrong file, I will re-email it to you.
Its very strange, I cannot figure this out.

Since I can see the layers in PS, should I resave the file with a different extension, and try that in GIMP?

Thanks.

#9 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:23 AM

Since I can see the layers in PS, should I resave the file with a different extension, and try that in GIMP?

Thanks.

You can try psd but if you got CS you must save with the option to make compatible with older PS release
(even more sure will be export the layers as .png)

#10 User is offline   saulgoode 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:48 AM

Apparently the layer information for your file is encoded within some proprietary metadata (note in the following description the "single image plane"). The TIFF format permits companies to add their own formatting information to a file without telling others how to decode that information; this would seem to be an intentional effort on Adobe's part to prevent you from exporting the data to another program (though Adobe claims not to engage in such activity).

I would suggest using another format or saving the layers as individual files (which the GIMP can easily load into one image using the "Open As Layer(s)" command).

TIFF Directory at offset 0x8
  Subfile Type: (0 = 0x0)
  Image Width: 800 Image Length: 800
  Resolution: 200, 200 pixels/inch
  Bits/Sample: 8
  Compression Scheme: LZW
  Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
  Date & Time: "2006:12:07 18:17:32"
  Samples/Pixel: 3
  Rows/Strip: 109
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  ICC Profile: , 3144 bytes
  Photoshop Data: , 9490 bytes
  RichTIFFIPTC Data: , 2 bytes
  XMLPacket (XMP Metadata):
[COLOR=#FF0000]  ... unintellible XML code here ...[/COLOR]

#11 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Interesting... so PShop is purposely trying to make images created with their software incompatible with other software programs? Well, that is reason enough to abandon them entirely. Sounds like something Microsoft would do.

What format do you suggest I use? .PNG as fotocomics suggests? I havent used this format before, but whatever works. Ill get to this later tonight and update this thread. Thanks guys.

EDIT: yes I am using PShop CS, fotocomics.

#12 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:04 AM

Interestingly enough, the .PNG files do not work either. I just converted the original TIFs to PNG via PShop CS.
I opened the PNG files in PShop after creating them to make sure the layers were present... they were, but yet again they do not show up in GIMP.
Any other suggestions? I might just give up and us PShop for this job... damn adobe.

#13 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

nterestingly enough, the .PNG files do not work either. I just converted the original TIFs to PNG via PShop CS.
I opened the PNG files in PShop after creating them to make sure the layers were present... they were, but yet again they do not show up in GIMP.

A moment... i suggested to export all the layers as single png images ( 1 for each layer ) not to convert the Tiff in Png (as far i know png don't support multiple layer )

if you prefer convert you can try psd , but you have to use the option for Maximum compatibilty ( i can't remember now exactly how is called , i'm on linux now ..but there is that option)

Gimp could open psd with 2 basic limits:
1 can't read layer stiles and unsopported merging mode (as exclusion)
2 psd must be compatible with older Photoshop version (but how i said there is a option for that )

BTW

Interesting... so PShop is purposely trying to make images created with their software incompatible with other software programs?

They are even incompatible with THEIR software programs if not upgraded:
Brush and even PSD files created with CS (if saved with default option )are not usable by older Version of Photoshop

Same for AI files created by Illustrator CS...so you are pushed to buy the upgrade

#14 User is offline   kevin881 

• Pip

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:15 PM

Okay thanks for the clarification foto. You are right, I misunderstood what you meant.
I was aware that certain programs made their file format incompatible with the older versions... like AutoCAD for example. If you save a .dwg file in ACAD 2006, you cant open it in ACAD 2002.... even though 2002 saves all files by default as .dwg.

Honestly I am glad that open source software is making such a huge impact right now. I am on Mozilla FireFox and as I previously said, trying to migrate completely over to GIMP. I also use OpenOffice.org programs instead of MS Office. I truly believe that the future is better for open source stuff than for the crap Adobe, Autodesk, and Microsoft put out.

#15 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator

Posted 18 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

About exporting layers as separate PNG.images..must be easy record this as PS action so after do it once you can repeat it automatically,all times you need

If you need to do the also the contrary (I mean export from GIMP all layers of a Multilayered xcf as separate png files ) i will raccomand you to use GAP (split image into frames-plugin ) then must be simple record another PS action to recombine all exported layers back in single psd file .

This if you need to exchange your Gimp files with others that use PS (you can send them the exported png files + the PS action to regroup them)

About GAP : it's complicated BUT that feature is quite simple...and here
http://www.gimptalk....cks-9707-1.html (NOT first BUT second message) i explain how to use that GAP plugin (and if needed how to install GAP) i hope in a very clear way

#16 User is offline   PhotoMaster 

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:43 AM

Tried loading the image in several programs, including an older version of PS and it only comes up with a single layer.

Greg
Posted Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.co...photomastergreg.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic