Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Setting up GIMP for artistic work - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setting up GIMP for artistic work

#41 User is offline   Flying Penguin 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:41 AM

Wow, I am gonna have to do this.. I just scanned over it realy quick, but it looks great! I'm gonna try it now.

.:EDIT:.
I did it!! THis is awesome!!!!!! I love this tut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
TY so much!
Posted Image
Gifts Website
oh yeah - i'm a (legal) photoshop user now btw...

"Reading and flaming idiots on a forum > Critiquing the most useless form of art, ever."
-Hellboy, NSL

#42 User is online   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

@FlyingPenguin

Very good! I like this one a lot, you have added a lot of structure to the trunk, as well as drawn features like the hollow in perspective to give it that 3D-feel. It's a nice sketch you have there, and it seems you have a good grasp of the airbrush tool already. Neat, and thanks yourself for trying it out!
Griatch

#43 User is offline   Gus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

I'm going to try this again now, sorry for not replying Griatch, just enevr noticed you psoted.

And by the way I ordered A WACOM Volito 2 Tablet :h:

#44 User is offline   Gus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:53 PM

The more I look at it, the more freaky it looks, the hollow part - face, branches - arms, roots - feet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The black outline made it look more realistic and have a 'dark side', although it is a little obvious.

Thanks, Griatch!

#45 User is offline   Gus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

By the way Griatch, when I draw on GIMP with my tablet, no matter what size of brush it is, it always comes out the same size, any suggestions?

It always seems to be a soft brush and it seems to be about 11px, regardless of the brush I chose as soon as I pick up the pen, and touch the tablet, it turns into the soft brush.

EDIT; Found the problem.

#46 User is offline   megadyptes 

• PipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

Had a play with your low opacity airbrushes on a dodge layer introduced above an image. Looks as if this might be a great way to make painting-like manipulations as well. Here's an evolution of an earlier image

Posted Image

#47 User is offline   Gus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Megadyptes, thats awesome!

#48 User is offline   Furicuri55 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

amazing skill you guys have. good job here is mine

btw this is the BEST tutorial i have ever seen

Posted Image

#49 User is online   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

@Gus

Nice, good to see you got your tablet to work too. Is that tree done with the Volito? It's good, and does indeed look a bit like a tree-monster. Maybe you could try with thinner lines for marking out the darker parts of the branches, as it is, the transition light-dark becomes a bit too strong. That said, this is meant only as a sketch, and how to lay out shadows all depends on how you would want to develop this from here on, should you do that. Thanks for trying it out!

@megadyptes

Cool and creative! Nice to see various uses of the airbrush! The result really looks hand-made (because it is, of course), much more than using any of the "artistic" filters on an image, in my opinion. Good one! I put it up for show at the beginning of this thread alongside the others. So much talent around here!

@Furicuri55:

Thanks for trying out the tutorial, and also thanks for the kind words. Appreciate that. :-) You have used the airbrush to give shades in of your pic that work well to give it the all-round 3D-feel. I would suggest working with some smaller brushes around the edges to "sharpen" the image somewhat (at the outline of the trunk, for example), unless you really aimed for the out-of-focus look. Smaller brushes would also help accentuate the thinnes branches more. That said, this is a fully workable sketch, just what the tutorial aimed for. Good job!

@all

If you didn'r see it already and want some more tips and training with using the airbrush, there is also an "advanced" tutorial following up on this one. You can find it here. Enjoy! :-)
Griatch

#50 User is offline   Gus 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

No that wasn't made with the Volito2, I might try one now, probably just gonna try the advanced.

#51 User is online   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

@Gus

Looking forward to it! :-)
Griatch

#52 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

The "qualifier keys" (ctrl, alt,Shift, alt gr,Shift lock) are special cases -- if you press them, they remember their state, (pressed down or not pressed down) -- and holding them down will not result in any more "shift presses". On the other hand, those keys don't produce any output either. This is why they are "qualifier keys" after all

It's working but not exactly how it should...for some reason seems that gimp accept only ctrl+ ..."something" as key, if i try combinations with alt, shift... they are not registered and is hardly find shortcut with ctrl that i don't use allready.

I can't understund why Alt and shift are not read...i even try "fn" (i never understund what is for ) but also that doesn't work as combination with the "windows" key

#53 User is online   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

If you have a Fn key I assume you use a laptop? The Fn key is often used for special functions on the laptop, like raising volumes, switching monitor outputs and the like. Doubt GIMP will recognice that one for anything useful. And those Windows keys have never been of any use for me, not sure if they can be used for anything except inbuilt Windows functions ...

Just trying Shift+Alt on its own won't work at all, as said. But combinations like Shift+s, Alt+g, Ctrl+Alt+e and Shift+Alt+o and similar should all work though, does for me at least.
Even massive four-finger combinations like Shift+Ctrl+Alt+s works here. Also the "Alt Gr" button works as a qualifier.

I'm using Linux though. Maybe Windows (or your laptop keyboard) has some special restrictions against using the Shift+Alt for useful things, I don't know?
Griatch

#54 User is offline   PhotoComix 

• GT Senior Moderator
  • Group: Senior Moderators

Posted 21 January 2007 - 03:14 AM

Mmmm ...i get this problem on win and yes on the laptop...

I suppose is something between gimp and win becouse i can use the shift and the alt and the win key in other programs (as example to take screenshoot...is only for the brush that they are not accepted...as they seemas not seen

oh well i will try again tomorrow thank for the attention

#55 User is offline   ArchGoat 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

I just started using GIMP two days ago and I would like to thank you for this extremely useful tutorial. It really opened my eyes for some of the great possibilities this program has. I'll check out your forest tutorial next.

Cheers!

My result:
[img][url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2808/velsestr2lq4.jpg[/img][/url][/img]

#56 User is online   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

@ArchGoat

Really nice, especially for someone so new with GIMP! Have you worked in other graphics programs before? As it is I find very little to criticize on in this image; You have good structure and a feeling of depth and let your background work for your in places giving a realistic air to it. Well done indeed.

I'll put this up for show at the end of the original post, but would it be ok if you could supply a link to a little smaller-sized version (like half-size), just so the first post doesn't swell too much in scrolling space? ^_^

Thanks for trying it out, I'm glad to hear you found the tutorial useful!
Griatch

#57 User is offline   ArchGoat 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I haven't worked in other grapics programs before (except for Paint, haha) I do draw by hand though. Not that it is much of a help since this is made with mouse..

You may resize it as much as you want. I didn't mean to post it in this grotesque size to begin with. I just forgot to check the resize option.

EDIT - Sorry. I misread you post. I'll upload it again and post a link to a smaller version right away.

#58 User is offline   ArchGoat 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

Link for a smaller image: http://img72.imagesh...elsestr2pm0.jpg

#59 User is online   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:39 PM

@ArchGoat

Drawing by hand is surprisingly similar to computer graphics work -- also using a mouse. I find I work almost identically on the computer as I do on pen&paper; I would have to use separate papers and a light table in real life though, in GIMP I use layers and there is less dust and eraser crumbs lying around ... ;-)

A mouse is just another type of tool that you usually don't use in a way suitable for artistic work. So as all tools it requires training to get used to. You seem to have that part down already, so if you just started out doing computer graphics two days ago, you should be pleased with yourself!

Thanks for the smaller version. I put it up at the top of the thread. :-)
Griatch

#60 User is offline   ArchGoat 

• Pip

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

I am quite satisfied with the result. There is certainly som kind of 'benefit transfer' between drawing with different tools, virtual or physical. I'm just not so accustomed yet to using the mouse for this kind of more 'delicate' work. After a bit more practice, I imagine that wielding the power of the airbrush tool, should prove very useful.

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic