Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Setting up GIMP for artistic work - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setting up GIMP for artistic work

#241 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:10 PM

@Lazukin

Thanks for trying the tutorial, this is a fine attempt, there is no "good" or "bad" with a tutorial like this, the important thing is you trying out the techniques and getting a result to be proud of! You did a fine tree here I think. :) As you yourself note, there is some difference between the sides, interesting that you note a change as you work. This tutorial is intended for this very reason - to get started, get something down that can potentially be refined later - were you so inclined you could easily go back and fix up the right side should you so desire (that was not part of the tutorial though). Glad you found use for the tutorial and thanks for showing your work. If you would supply me with a smaller thumbnail I'll gladly put it up in the "hall of fame" at the top of the thread. :)
Griatch

#242 User is offline   Ruddix 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSpain

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thanks a lot for this really useful and awesome tutorial Griatch! I had been looking for a good tuto about how to use these tools on the Gimp, and yours is the best by far. I've just registered to be able to reply this post :)

So, here is my attempt, except from the roots i'm quite satisfied with my result, since it's my very first time using airbrush. I followed strictly the tutorial so there isn't anything added

Posted Image
http://imageshack.us...irbrushtree.jpg

This post has been edited by Ruddix: 24 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

#243 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:14 AM

View PostRuddix, on 24 December 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

Thanks a lot for this really useful and awesome tutorial Griatch! I had been looking for a good tuto about how to use these tools on the Gimp, and yours is the best by far. I've just registered to be able to reply this post :)

So, here is my attempt, except from the roots i'm quite satisfied with my result, since it's my very first time using airbrush. I followed strictly the tutorial so there isn't anything added

Posted Image
http://imageshack.us...irbrushtree.jpg

Sorry for the late reply, missed this thread. Thanks for trying out the tutorial! You have followed it well, the lighting and structure of the tree trunk is fine. Possibly you might consider using gradually smaller brushes so as to make the branches taper off more. Nevertheless, this tutorial is just to get to know the tools, I'm glad it helped! Not sure why the imageshack image doesn't show up, but if you can get a thumbnail to show, I'll be glad to add it to the "hall of fame" at the top. :)
Griatch

#244 User is offline   Ruddix 

• Pip
  • LocationSpain

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostGriatch, on 25 January 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

Sorry for the late reply, missed this thread. Thanks for trying out the tutorial! You have followed it well, the lighting and structure of the tree trunk is fine. Possibly you might consider using gradually smaller brushes so as to make the branches taper off more. Nevertheless, this tutorial is just to get to know the tools, I'm glad it helped! Not sure why the imageshack image doesn't show up, but if you can get a thumbnail to show, I'll be glad to add it to the "hall of fame" at the top. :)

Griatch

Of course, no problem, i've noticed that this tutorial was posted a few years ago and it's nice to see that you continue answering. I don't know if i had understood what did u mean about the thumbnail, a smaller image? (Pls forgive my english level :D)

Posted Image

#245 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

@Ruddix

Yes, this tutorial is more than five years old now - wow how times fly! It's still relevant however, and it's fun that so many people have used it as a way to get into digital painting. :)
Yes, that's correct, a "thumbnail" is a smaller-size image. I've put it up at the bottom of the main post's "hall of fame" now. :D
Griatch

#246 Guest_vanguard_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Hello everyone! This is my tree (and my first post at gimptalk):
Posted Image

Thank you Griatch for this wonderful tutorial! I want to learn how to paint and I will try out one of your other tutorials soon.

#247 User is offline   volavi 

• Pip

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

I've been using the GIMP for several years, but just for light work like designing logos and stitching together different images. Then I stumbled across one of Griatch's images in the GIMP screenshots section, which encouraged me to try drawing with the GIMP.

So this is the first time I've tried drawing something from scratch (on a computer). It's been a while since I tried drawing anything, really. And it was a lot of fun! Thanks a lot for the tutorial, I'm looking forward to trying the others.

I obviously can't draw lighting very well. I had a similar problem last time I tried sketching by hand. I think next time I'll pick a *very* bright highlight colour and try not to be afraid to use it!

Large image:
Posted Image

Small image:
Posted Image

Cheers... volavi.

#248 User is offline   Steve MD 

• Pip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

Thanks Griatch for the amazing tutorial!

here's my tree, (not that great, but hey, it's my best so far!)

Posted Image

#249 User is offline   dihitsu 

• Pip

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but to the point:

I followed instructions for setting tool properties - it worked and didn't work at the same time. For working - move next moves the brush for my mouse controller. That would be fine, but as for i draw with tablet and it does not move the tablet brush object, i still must manually change brush with tablet pen.

I also tried "increase/decrease value X" to control hardness of the brush, hardness was not among values. To explain - with move next i wanted to switch to fuzzy brush. I tried values as a workaround.

Maybe this is Wacom + gtk incompatibility (gimp 2.8 sooo very does not work for me because of that). But well, maybe you would have an advice for me.

#250 User is offline   Reishi24 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

So this is the beginning. I wonder will I be able to succeed your other tutorials as well. Thank you for the tutorials!

Posted Image

#251 User is offline   Allen Smilden 

• Pip

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Here is my tree, I think i'm having trouble setting up my inuous5 properly with gimp in archlinux. Thanks for the tutorial!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Allen Smilden: 26 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

#252 User is offline   ArtisanDwarf 

• PipPip
  • LocationInside a Milky Way

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

Thank you for making such an awesome tutorial. :) For Newbies to Gimp, like me, your advice on how to set things up in Gimp and how to use the shortcuts is invaluable. Thank you! I had a lot of fun painting my tree! :)

EDIT: I just realized how dark it looks on a white background. Probably should lighten it up a bit then... -.-

Posted Image

This post has been edited by ArtisanDwarf: 15 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

#253 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

@ArtisanDwarf

Hi and sorry for a late reply. Glad you found my tutorial useful. Unfortunately I can no longer see your result though, maybe you need to re-upload it?
Griatch

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic