Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Setting up GIMP for artistic work - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setting up GIMP for artistic work

#201 User is offline   RedAngel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, i've found this tutorial very well written and done.
I'm a programmer (a good one :D) but i'm not an artist at all with a pencil in hand, but i think that everyone should try every kind of art he, so... here i am trying to draw something :D

Thanks to you i've learned interesting stuff and i spent some minutes drawing the tree and i'll post the result when i'll be back, now i'm in hurry but i wanted to post my greetings to you before i forget :oops:

I'll read every other tutorial of your for sure and of course i've to learn some basic artistic stuff about lighting and shadow too :D

Fabio

#202 User is offline   brianweese 

• Pip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

How do I attach my dead tree attempt so you can see it? This is the first time I have read through a tutorial and ended up with something that I might actually want to show someone!!!

Happily Gimping,
D. Brian Weese

#203 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

to post up a picture, first you need to upload your picture to a hosting site, such as photobucket or flickr, etc. Then use the message board code (img) for that picture and put that code into your post. The bb code looks like this...
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/tonitalley1/MiG%20Posters/buttons/buttonmigredsquare-1.png[/IMG]

and this is what it will show...
Posted Image

#204 User is offline   brianweese 

• Pip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:20 AM

Here's my 1st and 2nd attempts at following the tutorial. #2 turned out much better... :) Thanks for a great tutorial...

D. Brian Weese

Attempt #1 at drawing a "Dead Tree"
http://s674.photobuc...rrent=tree1.jpg

Attempt #2 at drawing a "Dead Tree"
http://s674.photobuc...rrent=tree2.jpg

(Note: I'll try again if this posting doesn't show my pics correctly...)

#205 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

I don't know why your pictures don't show. There shouldn't be a problem with a jpg file. (I tried posting it from the properties info and it won't show for me either). One of the board techies might have an idea of how to post your images.

#206 User is offline   2-ton 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

OK, I couldn't leave it alone.....here it is using the "direct" code listed on photobucket and adding the img tags myself.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#207 User is offline   brianweese 

• Pip

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Thanks. I copied the wrong set of code. I think I usedthe URL from website address line, instead of ... well, whatever I needed to. Thanks again!

Attempt #1 at drawing a "Dead Tree"
Posted Image

Attempt #2 at drawing a "Dead Tree"
Posted Image

Yeah, it worked!!

Happily Gimping,
D. Brian Weese

#208 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationSweden

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

@brianweese

Welcome to GT!

Some good results there, it's interesting to see how you developed your style just between the blue version and the multi-coloured one. Colours aside, you have a lot better shadowing in the second piece, with good structure to the bark too. You might want to consider even thinner brushes towards the outer branches to make them sharper and better defined. Since you are working so much with shadows in the second image you could also try applying those shadows along the ground, among the roots. That would make the tree more "anchored" to the ground.

Good job! If you supply a thumbnail I'll gladly add it to the hall of fame! :D
Griatch

#209 User is offline   keaglez 

• Pip

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

nice tutorial here... :)

here is how I ended up

#1 attemp
Posted Image

#2 attemp
Posted Image

works? :D

Thanks so much! :mrgreen:

#210 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:24 PM

@keaglez

One can really see the improvement just from the first to second attempt, nice that you tried out some alternative colours too. You seem to have corrected most of the issues with #1 when doing #2, so I have not that much critique; for a deeper 3D-effect you can experiment with deeper contrasts though (darker shadows, brighter highlights), this will make the image 'pop' better.

Putting #2 in the top post. :)
Griatch

#211 User is offline   keaglez 

• Pip

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

Hi, thanks for putting it up. :) I'm actually not good in coloring, but surely, I learn something from here... :) Thanks for the tutorial and suggestion... ;)

#212 User is offline   Your_Savior 

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2009 - 07:46 PM

Great stuff, i made a tree, but didnt think it was important enough to save. I will try my best to be near the same level as you one day (probably never gonna happen.)

Oh, and i searched Griatch on google, and found a dragon in water, i uploaded it to desktop site. I took NO credit for it (as youll read in link)

http://abstract.desk...llpaper/121503/
Lifes a bitch. Be its pimp.

#213 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

@Your_Saviour

Don't be shy to post your result, it's always useful to do. Or better yet, try it again to make a new tree and see if you improved from your first try.

The image ("Out of its element") has its official home here: http://griatch-art.deviantart.com/art/O ... t-55650029, where it can also be bought as a print. I got a big one for my wall, it does make for a good real-life "wallpaper" too. :)
Griatch

#214 User is offline   Krylenko 

• Pip

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:48 AM

Excellent tutorial! Just started using GIMP and this really helped (also your Beginning with Gimp tut was great).

Posted Image

With a bit more time this could look nice!

Posted Image

Thank you for taking the time to share Griatch.

Krylenko

#215 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

@Krylenko

A fine result! Good structure and you even added some 3D structure to the tree stumps. :) As you say, such a rather quick layout can rather easily be expanded to a full image or be used as a background etc.

Good job, and welcome to GimpTalk! I'm putting you restult up in the Hall of fame. :D
Griatch

#216 User is offline   andras 

• Pip

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Hi, Griatch, thanks for the tutorial.
Here is my result:

Posted Image

#217 User is offline   Griatch 

• GT Administrator
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

@andras

Thanks for trying the tutorial! You have worked nicely with the transparency here, which allows for a 3D-feel without much effort. Next image you might consider not outlining your branches and trees, but to let thicker lines themselves make out the branches. This way you can vary the tree and make it migger much easier too.

Thanks for posting! If you supply me with a thumbnail I'll be happy to put it up in the "hall of fame" at the top. :)
Griatch

#218 User is offline   InTheSystem 

• Pip

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for posting another good tut to follow. I feel like I gained some semblance of a skill in airbrushing that I've never had before.

Posted Image

I originally was vexed by the outcome of smudging the white, but when I applied it throughout I decided it looked okay. :)

#219 User is offline   kotsergy 

• Pip

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:34 AM

Hi Griatch, good tutorial!
Although I have been using gimp for a while now (with reasonable success), I had never really went for tutorials. Yet, the desire to get better at drawing and gain more knowledge "forced" me to do it. I don't regret it though :)

Posted Image

As for the falling snow, I quickly added it in mypaint, which I recently have found whilst reading the "News" section one linux oriented web site. A nice app, although as far I understood, it is not yet optimised to support more than one cpu core which is not "lethal", as long as you don't use complex brushes and fast strokes of course.

#220 User is offline   Spitfire 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:15 PM

Great tutorial! Here's my attempt;
Posted Image

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic