Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Poster in Gimp? - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poster in Gimp?

#1 User is offline   none128 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:03 PM

Hey everybody,

I've to make a poster and I wonder if Gimp is suitable tool for this.

any comments/proposals/suggestions/etc.?
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   getfirefox 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

Well, I don't see why you can't use it. You'd be able to make a better poster on it than on something like Microsoft's, appauling piece of software, Publisher.

:c:

#3 User is offline   PhotoMaster 

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

I'm not sure but I think this is what you may need.

http://www.gimptalk....per-9282-1.html

Greg
Posted Image

My Sigs = My Photos
Check out my work at http://www.flickr.co...photomastergreg.

#4 User is offline   none128 

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

No, I think rather about large poster, which is printed on special printer.
Something you can do for conferrence.

I know that it is possible using other software, but I don't have it.
So any help will be helpful.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Pimp_Yo_Gimp 

• Pip

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

The first thing I would be concerned with is access to the special printer. If you are going to go to a professional printing co., I would thoroughly discuss the technical details with their personnel first to make sure you get it right the first time, because those prints aren't cheap. Also, f they don't have Gimp you will have to save your document in some sort of portable format such as BMP or TGA. (Definitely not JPEG for this kind of application.)

As for Gimp being up to the task, I think it depends more on your machine. If you have decently fast HD and at least 1 gig of memory, you should have no problem. I created a test document 12ft x 3ft (72ppi RGB) and it was 206MB empty. So, a pc that is comfortable tossing around decently large amounts of data should be able to edit this document, even if a bit slowly. Multiple layers will slow things down somewhat. Again it all depends on complexity. (A few paintbrush squiggles in my test document added about 20MB. A gigantic phrase or logo will probably add several hundred MB) Also, using grayscale instead of RGB can greatly reduce the processing requirements.

Hope this helps, but my final piece of advice is to reiterate: talk to a pro. A few minutes in the presence of the enlightened can do wonders! Good luck!

#6 User is offline   none128 

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

Ok finally I decided to do it at university. I'll use Corel, like do it my friend.
I'm going to print it on proffesional printer at my university, for free. :h:

Thanks a lot for suggestions. :h:
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Gunther 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

I'd recommend Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org) to make a poster if you're wanting to use free software.

You'd be able to get around the majority of the problems with requiring a trillion pixels to get the required printing resolution plus it's a great freeform design tool. You would be able to include inline images within the document that could be replaced or linked to an image file, and at the end you should be able to output it to an eps file for printing purposes.

I've never tried this personally, but I reckon it would be quicker than using a bitmap editor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic