Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community: Bump Mapping - Practical Exercise and usage - Gimptalk - Premier Gimp Community

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bump Mapping - Practical Exercise and usage

#1 User is offline   Ali Imran 

• Owner
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:19 AM

I learnt use of Bump Map from a tutorial at gug.sunsite.dk.
So, here is my try explaining it a bit more so that it becomes easy for all level users to understand the use of Bump-Map plugin, and possibilities.

Prerequisites
You must be familier with creating new image, adding new layers, deleting layers, naming/renaming a layer, filling solid color and gradient in layers/selections. If you do not know how to perform above mentioned operations then Click here to read beginners tutorial first.

[line]

What is Bump Map?
It is a plugin, or you may call it a filter which can be applied over a layer (of our gimp image). It is found within the menus of the image window on position Filters > Map > Bump Map...

What is use of Bump Map?
It is used to get a specific area of the layer bumped up. Or, to raise specific portions of a layer.

Simple Example
For example, we have a simple layer filled using golden Gradient, and we want to bump an elliptic (circle) area of this layer. So before and after aplying effect, the layer is as follows:

Posted Image Posted Image

Limitations
Any area of any layer can be bumped up using any layer as map. There are no such limitations for using this effect, but it does not make sense if you start using a transparent layer to aply bump map on another layer, or if you try bumping a transparent area of a layer. The stacking order of layers is not important.

Recomendation
To get 100% results from this plugin, use BLACK & WHITE layers as map to use for bumping an area of other layer.

[line]

Core Practice and Tutorial
Here we will create the same effect shown above, using the powerful plugin Bump Map.

Follow the Steps:

[*] Start with an empty image (File > New), of 300x300 or any preffered dimensions.

[*] Insert New Layer and name it Map_only.
[*] Insert New Layer and name it Actual.

The layer Acutal will be containg the actual image, we have to bump some area of, (here I used only a gradient).
The layer Map_only will be used to create the map (The area which has to be bumped over the layer named Acutal).

[*] Select the Layer Map_noly in layers tab, and fill it using solid white color, and select a circle region on it, using elliptic region selection tool (The second icon on gimp main window), and fill this selection with solid black color, so that your layer looks something as below, in image window:

Posted Image

[*] Remove any selection, using menus in image window Select > None.

[*] Now select the layer named Actual and fill it using any gradient, I have used golden with style Linear, so the image window will look as following screenshot, if layer Actual was over all other layers:

Posted Image

Finally we have a layer Map_only which cotnains a BLACK & WHITE map which will be bumped up on layer named Atual. Order of layers in Layers tab is as below (Although it is not important):

Posted Image

Now it is time to apply the Effect Bump Map I have been talking about.

[*] Select layer named Acutal and go through menus within image window Filters > Map and click Bump Map.... A new window will appear asking you too many things, do not get confused here it is so simple. The window looks like the one below:

Posted Image

On top-right corner of this window there is a list of layers you have, this list is captioned Bump map, you simply select the layer named Map_only and click button OK, which will immediately update the layer Actual with a bumped circle in it.

More Adjustments using scroll options on the plugin window
Azimuth : it is simply used to adjust the light position.
Elevation : acts as contrast.
Depth : Gives more 3d depth to gumped portion if value is increased.
X/Y Offset : move the map behind actual layer.
Ambient : give/remove depth of unlightened part of bumped area.

TIP
If the layers used as map are deleted, they leave no effect over image, becuase bumped layer has already been updated. To keep the image size small delete the layers used as map.

That's it for now.

#2 User is offline   fencepost 

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Retired Staff

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:34 PM

Thanks, Ali. That was very helpful!

I've been experimenting a little bit and when I'm at the point of understanding/explaining my discoveries :l: I'll show them here.

Art

#3 User is offline   Big Gimpin9 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:36 PM

WOW, thanks, that helped a lot! I am such a noob... :h:

#4 User is offline   gigatwo 

• PipPip

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:36 PM

Nice tutorial, it's very simple and well put.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   gigatwo 

• PipPip

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:19 AM

Posted Image
I did this a while ago, but nonetheless, it was all done with bumpmapping, except with the drop shadow. I was also lazy and used the bevel filter with the chips.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Ali Imran 

• Owner
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:41 PM

wow, that is great, best output from tutorial so far.

Thaks for sharing gigatwo

#7 User is offline   the mills 

• Pip

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:49 AM

I had the hardest time figuring out the bump-mapping when I was first starting out and trying to do a text tutorial. Thanks for making it so simple. I got this starting with a wave background set to animation, simple, but I like simple.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Jimpat 

• Pip

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Thankyou Ali. Simple and well explained. It was a great help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic